Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vbrake/lever and tyre adjustment?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 09:15 AM
Dany6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey guys,i need some advice on these adjustment so i'd really appreciatr if someone could help me out with this...
The problem/s i got is,when i press the brake lever it goes all the way to the handle and touches it but i wan't it to go only halfway and then have the pads start touching the wheel.
And another issue i got is the wheel is kinda cheap and is often out of true so no matter how much i adjust those screws for fine tuning,one side of pads will almost always be touching one side of the rim...So how do i fix those two problems?
Do i firstly tighten the barrel all the way,loosen the cable pinch bolt and tighten it until the pads touch against the rim slightly and then just pinch the cable again,but then the pads would be touching the rim even more right?
So then,do i do all the same just instead of moving pads closer to the rim and closing the barrel all the way,i just close the barrel and unscrew it like one turn and then set the pads like maybe 5mm from the rim so they don't rub against it,and then pinch the cable back again?
But if i do it like that,would it then limit the lever movement,and end up having loose lever again?
And for the end to sum it all up what i'd like to do end up having is,to get the brake lever travel max halfway and then have the pads engage when the lever goes halfway....
Hopefully i explained everything right.

Last edited by Dany6; 04-30-22 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-01-22, 12:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
See THIS from Park Tools and/or THIS from Sheldon Brown. You should get your wheels reasonably true, or you won't be able to adjust the pads close enough to the rims to obtain the brake performance you desire.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-03-22, 12:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
To properly adjust your brakes you will have to true the wheel. A wobbly rim will not allow you to place the brake pads closer to the rim without rubbing
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-03-22, 12:30 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
The two previous posters have started answering your question: In order for you to properly adjust your brakes you will need straight rims. Period. There's just no way around this--unless you don't mind a brake shoe constantly rubbing on one side of the rim or the other. Once you have straight wheels, the brakes can be easily adjusted.

Your brakes sound wildly out of adjustment--possibly done purposely to accommodate an out-of-true wheel.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-06-22, 01:21 PM
Dany6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
See THIS from Park Tools and/or THIS from Sheldon Brown. You should get your wheels reasonably true, or you won't be able to adjust the pads close enough to the rims to obtain the brake performance you desire.
I've watched it,but didn't kinda understood it completely,but now i do thanks.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
To properly adjust your brakes you will have to true the wheel. A wobbly rim will not allow you to place the brake pads closer to the rim without rubbing
Thanks a lot for making it clear,now i get it 😁.

Originally Posted by smd4
The two previous posters have started answering your question: In order for you to properly adjust your brakes you will need straight rims. Period. There's just no way around this--unless you don't mind a brake shoe constantly rubbing on one side of the rim or the other. Once you have straight wheels, the brakes can be easily adjusted.

Your brakes sound wildly out of adjustment--possibly done purposely to accommodate an out-of-true wheel.
I spent so much time and nerves (multiple times) to try getting it properly and evenly adjusted and wasn't able to do so,and now i clearly see why lol,ahhh 😔.
I think it might be time to start thinking about getting a new set of wheels,the ones i have are probably just some bacis cheap ones...
Thanks a lot for help.
And yeah,you got the last part right,and due to worn out cables...oops