Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

new (or used) road bike - rim/disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 04:36 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I want to upgrade my ride (currently Allez on Claris, i want upgrade to 105 11s).
I was thinking about new bike (or 1-2y used) - for about 1500 eur. I can see that bikes with disc brakes (105) are about 500 eur more expensive and 500g heavier...
I live in a dry place - Spain, i can avoid rides in damp/wet conditions.

Is it worth taking disc brakes? (i can easier upgrade wheels to something lighter later (like asian carbon ), but will i do that?). I know frame with these brakes would be future proof, but in case of used bike, i could just sell it in a year anyway....
What about upgrading wheels for rim brakes, can i easily find something cheap weighting 1500-1600g ? does it makes sense (asian carbon <400g) ? as probably wheels are the heaviest component (about 1900g in this price range bikes)

Last edited by razorjack; 11-07-20 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-07-20, 06:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
In the used market I think you will have more and better choices if you stick with rim brakes. Clearly you don't have an overwhelming need for discs. Also, road discs have now standardized to 12mm/100 and 12/142 thru axles and flat mount. You may find a variety of other outdated or weird configurations in the used market. You don't want to buy into discs with QRs for example.
Old 11-07-20, 08:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
there is a huge inventory of non disc bikes in the used market, so there will still be rims if you wanted to upgrade down the road. However, if you happened across a good deal on a disc brake bike with the standard thru axles, I would not hesitate to considered it.

Old 11-07-20, 08:35 PM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I think that in general the one advantage of a disk brake equipped bike is the ability to run wider tires.
Old 11-08-20, 12:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I wouldn't make my decision for bike purchase hinge on disc or rim brakes.

But the number of choices one has for purchasing rim brake wheelsets seems to be less and less every year. So if you are going to keep the bike long enough to need new wheels, that might be a consideration.

Though if you are okay with the prices of custom built wheelsets, then it's less of an issue as long as manufacturers keep making rims and hubs for rim brakes. Though you could just use a disc hub and put up with the occasional odd looks and comments when someone notices.

Or are disc hubs too wide for most bikes with rim brakes??
Old 11-09-20, 01:46 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't make my decision for bike purchase hinge on disc or rim brakes.

But the number of choices one has for purchasing rim brake wheelsets seems to be less and less every year. So if you are going to keep the bike long enough to need new wheels, that might be a consideration.

Though if you are okay with the prices of custom built wheelsets, then it's less of an issue as long as manufacturers keep making rims and hubs for rim brakes. Though you could just use a disc hub and put up with the occasional odd looks and comments when someone notices.

Or are disc hubs too wide for most bikes with rim brakes??
Disc hubs are designed for thru-axles. Rim brake bikes are designed for quick-release skewers. The two are not interchangeable. [EDIT: There may be adapters available that can work with some hubs?] The rims are different too, as disc rims do not have brake tracks.

Rim brake wheels and parts will be available for a very long time, so I wouldn't consider availability to be a factor. Factors that would keep me from buying another rim brake bike are limited tire clearance, and poor brake performance on carbon wheels, especially when wet.

Last edited by msu2001la; 11-09-20 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 03:58 AM
razorjack

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Disc hubs are designed for thru-axles. Rim brake bikes are designed for quick-release skewers. The two are not interchangeable. [EDIT: There may be adapters available that can work with some hubs?] The rims are different too, as disc rims do not have brake tracks.

Rim brake wheels and parts will be available for a very long time, so I wouldn't consider availability to be a factor. Factors that would keep me from buying another rim brake bike are limited tire clearance, and poor brake performance on carbon wheels, especially when wet.
i know they are not compatible, that's why it's a big thing (but maybe not, if i buy used bike, i won't be so attached and i can sell it after 1-2y).
my question was more like if there are light but cheap wheels available for rim brakes. just to have a light bike and enjoy it more.
Old 11-11-20, 07:56 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by razorjack
i know they are not compatible, that's why it's a big thing (but maybe not, if i buy used bike, i won't be so attached and i can sell it after 1-2y).
my question was more like if there are light but cheap wheels available for rim brakes. just to have a light bike and enjoy it more.

It's not really a big deal. There are many light and cheap wheelset options for rim brakes. Availability of wheels (or lack thereof) isn't really a factor for rim vs. discs, at least not for now.
You are also correct that rim brake bikes are generally a bit lighter than disc brake bikes, all other things being equal.
Old 11-16-20, 02:36 AM
razorjack

Originally Posted by crn3371
I think that in general the one advantage of a disk brake equipped bike is the ability to run wider tires.
yes, it's something i started to think about... generally with disc brakes (and some frames) i can run tyres up to 32-35mm (so i could make the make 'gravel like' if i want sometimes).

problem here, in my area, i feel that ppl sell used road bikes with ridiculus prices.... 10y old, with 10s ultregra, for >1000e ....