Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide on new bike purchase

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 12:47 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I currently spend most of my gravel riding on a 2016 AC Space Horse with American Classic wheels and RH 42 knobby tires. Mostly, this has been just fine for the majority of needs. Each year I do one particular race that has a 10 mile section of 2-4” sized rock. Even with low tire pressure, it’s a miserable ride, lol. This always makes me wish I had ridden my fat bike instead….which brings me to my current quandary, would something like a Surly Midnight Special, with its bigger tire clearances make those really rough sections more tolerable?

Old 02-20-22, 05:57 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I currently spend most of my gravel riding on a 2016 AC Space Horse with American Classic wheels and RH 42 knobby tires. Mostly, this has been just fine for the majority of needs. Each year I do one particular race that has a 10 mile section of 2-4” sized rock. Even with low tire pressure, it’s a miserable ride, lol. This always makes me wish I had ridden my fat bike instead….which brings me to my current quandary, would something like a Surly Midnight Special, with its bigger tire clearances make those really rough sections more tolerable?

Classy looking bike!

I don’t think a bit more tire volume would help much, and all for 10 miles a year...your money!
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 02-20-22, 07:52 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Try things like tire inserts with the lowest possible pressure and a redshock stem to make it more tolerable before buying a whole new bike just for one section of one race. I have to ride my MTB with a good air fork + 2.2" tires @ 18-20 psi over a section of railroad ballast (1.5-2" rocks) on a singletrack I frequent, and it's still pretty rough.
Likes For zen_:
Old 02-21-22, 05:33 AM
Craptacular8

Tire inserts

Originally Posted by zen_
Try things like tire inserts with the lowest possible pressure and a redshock stem to make it more tolerable before buying a whole new bike just for one section of one race. I have to ride my MTB with a good air fork + 2.2" tires @ 18-20 psi over a section of railroad ballast (1.5-2" rocks) on a singletrack I frequent, and it's still pretty rough.

The red shock stem is a good idea, thanks. What would be the purpose of the tire inserts though? I’m already tubeless, and do not have a problem with flats.
Old 02-21-22, 07:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
The red shock stem is a good idea, thanks. What would be the purpose of the tire inserts though? I’m already tubeless, and do not have a problem with flats.
You can drop pressure even more than you already do with inserts. That does mean you have to ride the rest of the race on goofy low pressure though, unless you get off the bike after the rough section and inflate your tires.

As others said, buying a bike on account of a 10mi section of riding that you do once a year seems like a bit much. In the moment, its probably a miserable 75min though.
Why not just use your fatbike? What do others use during the race? If everyone is suffering equally on the 10mi because the rest of the race overwhelmingly benefits from a 43 or narrower tire for whatever reason, then just stick with what you have.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-01-22, 01:58 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
For that kind of serious chunk you're not going to notice any improvements by going up by just a few mm in tire size. Guessing based on your description, I'm thinking 2.4" or 2.8" tires are needed.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-02-22, 06:19 AM
Craptacular8

Tire Size

Originally Posted by tFUnK
For that kind of serious chunk you're not going to notice any improvements by going up by just a few mm in tire size. Guessing based on your description, I'm thinking 2.4" or 2.8" tires are needed.
The MS takes up to 2.35", so definitely on the low end of your suggestion. I probably need another bike like a hole in the head, but..... I do have a vintage rigid mtb that I could throw a Surly Corner Bar on to try. Suspect it maxes out at around 2.35 also. Thanks.
Old 03-12-22, 05:10 AM
scubaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
The MS takes up to 2.35", so definitely on the low end of your suggestion. I probably need another bike like a hole in the head, but..... I do have a vintage rigid mtb that I could throw a Surly Corner Bar on to try. Suspect it maxes out at around 2.35 also. Thanks.
Vintge rigid MTBs can make pretty terrific gravel bikes. See elsewhere in these forums for 1000s (!) of examples of such bikes converted to drop bar.
Old 03-12-22, 07:09 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts
Along the lines of the shock absorbing stem, you might consider a carbon seat post. These will tend to have more compliance. Or of course get an actual shock absorbing seat post.