Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantis with road-style pads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 01:02 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Lots of early day cantis came with V-brake style pads, however many CX specific cantis seem to be designed for road brake pads instead.

Funnily, some early day cantis come originally with thin and longer (than road) pads, but symmetrical (as road ones are), but the cartridge type replacement pads always hold what are very much V-brake style (asymmetrical) pads.

What are the reasons for this? Pros and cons of each?
Attached Images
Old 02-22-22, 03:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Which style does your bike have?
Old 02-22-22, 03:31 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Which style does your bike have?
As of now it’s a spoon brake, so mulling the upgrade options.
Likes For am8117:
Old 02-22-22, 03:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
One of the issues with the pads is fork and seatstay clearance. Shorter pads (or off center pads) may stay away from the says. Longer pads may overlap with the fork or stays.

Pressure per square inch (or your favorite area) may also be less for the longer pads, and the braking force may be similar for different pad shapes.

My last set of long skinny pads had very thin pad material and wore much faster than I would have liked.
Old 02-22-22, 04:06 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One of the issues with the pads is fork and seatstay clearance. Shorter pads (or off center pads) may stay away from the says. Longer pads may overlap with the fork or stays.

Pressure per square inch (or your favorite area) may also be less for the longer pads, and the braking force may be similar for different pad shapes.

My last set of long skinny pads had very thin pad material and wore much faster than I would have liked.
There’s something about that (symmetry and clearance) although cantis having been mostly surviving on the CX bikes it’s not that horrible.

The thing is that most modern cantis replaced the separate straddle cable with the V shaped one with one half being fixed anchored piece and the other a guide for the brake cable. When unhooked the side with fixing bolt clamped directly on the main brake cable won’t go completely free to move away for enough clearance to remove the tire, no matter if the pad is thin or short to completely clear the seat stay. Annoying the fixing bolt is typically on the drive side where the seat stay gives even more clearance. Some people deflate the tire, some unhook the main housing piece from the hanger, but I never really understood this move from traditional straddle cable to the V shaped kind.
Old 02-22-22, 04:16 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Shorter pads (or off center pads) may stay away from the says. Longer pads may overlap with the fork or stays.
The other thing with asymmetric pads is they always go longer towards the rear so if that helps seat stays clearance it’s worse in the fork and vice versa. I know it doesn’t have to be the same style pair front and rear but well …
Old 02-22-22, 06:42 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by am8117
There’s something about that (symmetry and clearance) although cantis having been mostly surviving on the CX bikes it’s not that horrible.

The thing is that most modern cantis replaced the separate straddle cable with the V shaped one with one half being fixed anchored piece and the other a guide for the brake cable. When unhooked the side with fixing bolt clamped directly on the main brake cable won’t go completely free to move away for enough clearance to remove the tire, no matter if the pad is thin or short to completely clear the seat stay. Annoying the fixing bolt is typically on the drive side where the seat stay gives even more clearance. Some people deflate the tire, some unhook the main housing piece from the hanger, but I never really understood this move from traditional straddle cable to the V shaped kind.
I think this straddle switch was done to avoid the risk of a yoke failure causing the straddle cable to hit the tire and lock the wheel up. A metal reflector bracket can also help prevent this type of accident with a traditional straddle cable.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 02-22-22, 08:04 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I never really understood this move from traditional straddle cable to the V shaped kind.
Sheldon Brown explains the advantage of the V-shaped "link wire" like this:

"In fact, however, the link wire is generally a superior system. Unlike traditional transverse cables that curve over the yoke when the brake is not being applied, link wire systems keep all cable segments running straight. This reduces wasted motion, and allows a better brake adjustment."
Old 02-22-22, 09:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Any time I run across a link-wired canti, the first thing I do is replace it with a traditional cable and straddle. Sheldon's opinion isn't going to change my approach.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-22-22, 09:29 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by Rolla
Sheldon Brown explains the advantage of the V-shaped "link wire" like this:

"In fact, however, the link wire is generally a superior system. Unlike traditional transverse cables that curve over the yoke when the brake is not being applied, link wire systems keep all cable segments running straight. This reduces wasted motion, and allows a better brake adjustment."
It does make sense but then I wonder if that’s the real reason and not negligible. It makes it easier to put it on a production line, less setup necessary and well no worries about liability for locked front wheels as most CX bikes would be sold without fenders or hanger with a hook.

But high end cantis come with usual straddle cable still … avid shorty ultimate had one and it’s not like avid can’t make it without it
Old 02-22-22, 10:10 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wonder if that’s the real reason
Dunno. Sheldon wasn't infallible, but he certainly had more knowledge than me.

most CX bikes would be sold without fenders or hanger with a hook.
Some CX bikes use a fork-mounted cable stop that doubles as a straddle cable catcher.

But high end cantis come with usual straddle cable still
My IRD Cafams came with link wires, but my Pauls have a straddle cable. Both are fairly high-end. They're all dinosaurs, anyway!

Last edited by Rolla; 02-22-22 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-23-22, 07:39 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I think this straddle switch was done to avoid the risk of a yoke failure causing the straddle cable to hit the tire and lock the wheel up. A metal reflector bracket can also help prevent this type of accident with a traditional straddle cable.
Or even a loop of twine, anything that keeps the cable out of the tire.