Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Helicopter Tape Alternatives

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-30-22, 12:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

Of course things are going up in price but Helicopter tape has always been up there. Here are a few substitutions I have tried that work well and offer a more economical alternative.

Real Helicopter tape 2" - 39 USD for 30 ft - (Can't beat the real McCoy but it is expensive)
Gorilla Tape Clear 2" - 9 USD 54 ft - (Good value and nice to have around the shop for multiple uses. Can be messy at removal)
Kohree RV Awning Repair Tape Clear 3" - 13 USD 30 ft - (Is 3" wide so covers more area of tube, thick, I am still evaluating its use but it looks good)

My Favorite: Frost King Clear Plastic Weather Seal Tape 2" 8 USD 33 feet (Crystal clear, thick enough to protect the frame, sticks in hot or cold weather, lasts very, very long, offers the best sub for real Helicopter tape)
Note also that I use these tapes for making clear monochrome decals more than protecting my bikes.

Old 03-30-22, 01:20 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I find that the helicopter tape I have used, tends to peel up around the edges of complex frame contours, then the lifted up parts get dirt under it making the effect look grungy. I thought maybe purchasing some of the 3M "wrap" that is used to wrap car bodies might be good to play around with. I have tried "crankskins" for my crankarms - but the generic shapes provide poor coverage.
Old 03-30-22, 07:24 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I find that the helicopter tape I have used, tends to peel up around the edges of complex frame contours, then the lifted up parts get dirt under it making the effect look grungy. I thought maybe purchasing some of the 3M "wrap" that is used to wrap car bodies might be good to play around with. I have tried "crankskins" for my crankarms - but the generic shapes provide poor coverage.
Three things which may help mitigate peeling: Thorough cleaning/degreasing of the surface (and don't get finger oils on the adhesive), rounding corners to as large a radius possible to minimize stress concentration, and applying the tape with as little stretching as possible. I use a printer's "brayer" (rubber roller) to roll the tape down, starting at the middle and working out to the edges to try and avoid bubbles.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-30-22, 08:47 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Another option is tennis racket head saver tape which I have found in clear and black and is cheap.
Old 03-30-22, 09:04 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 342 Posts
T-Rex Clear for awning and greenhouse repair, cheap, thick, and very sticky.
Old 03-30-22, 10:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I don't know what "real helicopter tape" is. I have always bought car body clear film (3m) from ebay sellers in various widths and lengths. I have no idea how it compares cost wise to the alternatives mentioned, but it's an insignificant cost in the quantities I use it. If put on a clean surface and round the corners, it lasts years and stays clear.
Old 03-31-22, 06:07 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I like this:
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...FrameSaverTape

Works great, peels off easily w/no stickiness.