Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub and bearing adjustment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-26-22, 01:56 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts

I am a C&V guy and therefore have nearly always dealt with freewheels. When adjusting bearings after replacing I know that any lateral slop at the rim is directly from the axle bearing adjustment.

Now onto my newer experiences with freehubs. I know the inner body bolts to the hub, and the outer body has small bearings and adjusts to the inner by way of shims. The drive side outer 1/4” bearings take the load. Am I correct to assume that any lateral play at the rim also reflects how close the freehub inner and outer pieces are adjusted by way of the shims plus the adjustment of the cones?
Old 04-27-22, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Freehub shims? Never heard of them...what kind of hub do you have?
Old 04-27-22, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Are you talking about the thin shims that go between the freewheel and the hub boss that they screw onto? If so, probably not the issue you are describing. Unless I misunderstand your issue, which is a possibility. <grin>

I think freewheel shims were a thing occasionally back in the heyday of freewheels when a 5 speed freewheel was top tier stuff.

Edit,

Oh wait, you are intermixing free hub and freewheel. I'm going to have to go back, finish my coffee and re-think your post. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 04-27-22 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Okay, finished the first cup of coffee. Ready for another stab at this.

No, the free hubs I know anything about don't have shims that you use to adjust spacing tolerances. You just adjust the cones if you have such type bearings.

What are you calling lateral play? Are you just pushing on the rim and seeing movement? That's a poor way IMO to judge lateral runout. For one, the distance from hub to rim greatly magnifies the amount of movement you see. And even if you are looking at the hub while pushing the rim to one side, then you are seeing about double the amount of actual runout because the other side is being pushed in the opposite direction.

So where does that leave us? Essentially you can have a little play and everything is good. No play whatsoever and you might actually be harming things.
Old 04-27-22, 09:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Freehub shims? Never heard of them...what kind of hub do you have?
Glad I wasn't the only one to wonder what he was talking about re "shims."
Old 04-27-22, 09:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Am I correct to assume that any lateral play at the rim also reflects how close the freehub inner and outer pieces are adjusted by way of the shims plus the adjustment of the cones?
No, freehub bearing adjustment doesn't affect play at the rim. It only affects how much play the cassette will show relative to the rest of the wheel.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-27-22, 10:13 AM
smd4

Any "lateral play" at the rim is a function of axle adjustment. In my case (DA 7700 9 sp freehub), the axle adjustment is straight-up cup-and-cone adjustment. No shims involved whatsoever. With the wheel off the bike, I try to adjust the cup-and-cones to have a very slight bit of play--such that, when I install the wheel and tighten the quick release, the compression takes up the remaining amount of axle play.

As I recall, the freehub body attaches with a hollow bolt. I've never gotten into the freehub body itself.
Old 04-27-22, 10:16 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Glad I wasn't the only one to wonder what he was talking about re "shims."
Shimano freehubs do have shims in the body similar to the thin shims inside a freewheel. I have overhauled a couple of Shimano freehubs in the past. The freehubs of my Campagnolo wheels do not have shims like that
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-27-22, 10:26 AM
smd4

The manual for the FH-7700 doesn't show an exploded view for the freehub body, making me think it's non-servicable. Glad I've never had to open mine up.
Old 04-27-22, 01:15 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Shimano freehubs do have shims in the body similar to the thin shims inside a freewheel. I have overhauled a couple of Shimano freehubs in the past. The freehubs of my Campagnolo wheels do not have shims like that
Here we go. Yes, this bike has an old uniglide 6 speed free hub. I watched an RJ video on switching it over to a 7 speed hyperglide. As this was done, he had to switch some internal shims under the screw in bearing cups to get the adjustment of the freehub where he wanted it. It was then I realized that the drive side axle 1/4” bearings were riding in the freehub outer shell and not really bolt directly to the hub body as on a freewheel.

I did bearing service on this freehub and of course adjusted the axle cones and bolted up the wheel in the frame with the QR. pushing the rim side to side checking play gave an almost imperceptible amount of play. That is when I wondered about the freehub architecture. I guess it seemed that even with a proper adjustment there could be machining tolerance differences as the bearing race bolts to the freehub outer body which in turn abuts the inner body.

The adjustment seems good but I was just wondering. With a freewheel, the axle bearing races are right in the hub whereas in the freehub, they are separated by another mechanism. Hope I explained it a bit better. I may also go crank the cone adjustment down a wee bit to see. My one other freehub bike has zero movement. This one has only a slight perception of lateral play at the rim.
Old 04-27-22, 04:40 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Here we go. Yes, this bike has an old uniglide 6 speed free hub. I watched an RJ video on switching it over to a 7 speed hyperglide. As this was done, he had to switch some internal shims under the screw in bearing cups to get the adjustment of the freehub where he wanted it. It was then I realized that the drive side axle 1/4” bearings were riding in the freehub outer shell and not really bolt directly to the hub body as on a freewheel.

I did bearing service on this freehub and of course adjusted the axle cones and bolted up the wheel in the frame with the QR. pushing the rim side to side checking play gave an almost imperceptible amount of play. That is when I wondered about the freehub architecture. I guess it seemed that even with a proper adjustment there could be machining tolerance differences as the bearing race bolts to the freehub outer body which in turn abuts the inner body.

The adjustment seems good but I was just wondering. With a freewheel, the axle bearing races are right in the hub whereas in the freehub, they are separated by another mechanism. Hope I explained it a bit better. I may also go crank the cone adjustment down a wee bit to see. My one other freehub bike has zero movement. This one has only a slight perception of lateral play at the rim.
Yes, this seems to be correct. So a freehub body that has wear/improper adjustment of the inner bearings/shim/screw-in cup would have an effect on the axle 'feel'. Seems that would be noticeable if you check for 'play' between the cassette and the hub. If you look at the EV tech docs on Shimano's site for some of the early freehubs (1980s era), it shows the inside of the freehub body.
Old 04-27-22, 05:39 PM
sd5782 

I was thinking just slight manufacturing tolerances too. This bike/freehub is very low miles. Any extra parts in the system introduces more tolerance error. I’m just learning a new mechanical system which is part of the fun, but only in nice quality stuff.