Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Poll - Cycling / Motor Vehicle incidents

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: How were you riding when struck by a motor vehicle?
Solo, as far right as possible
64.29%
Solo, taking the lane
42.86%
Small (6 or less) group, single file, as far right as possible
0%
Small (6 or less) group, two abreast, taking the lane
0%
Larger (7+) group, single file, as far right as possible
0%
Larger (7+) group, two abreast, taking the lane
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 06:51 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts

This is a totally unscientific poll. However, based on the number of threads where discussions of how cyclists should ride on the road, the results could be interesting.
Please do NOT vote if you have NOT been struck by a motor vehicle while cycling. Under no circumstances should you discuss the details of your incident.
Only vote if you were riding legally on the road, according to your local laws (i.e.: two abreast). Do NOT vote if you were struck riding in an unsafe manner (i.e.: running red lights)
If you have been unfortunate enough to have been struck more than once, please check how you were riding in each instance.

NOTE: if you are voting from an area where you normally ride on the opposite side of the road (England?) substitute "Left" for "Right"

Last edited by Bald Paul; 05-14-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 12:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
How about if you don't actually remember being hit? I'm pretty sure my first words were "what happened?"
Old 05-14-22, 03:20 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about if you don't actually remember being hit? I'm pretty sure my first words were "what happened?"
To be honest, I don't remember the actual crash, either. More like THUD, then sitting in the middle of the road bleeding all over myself. The woman in the car behind said I did a full somersault over the bars, with the bike. However, I do remember I was riding solo, as far to the right side as possible.
Old 05-14-22, 06:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
To be honest, I don't remember the actual crash, either. More like THUD, then sitting in the middle of the road bleeding all over myself. The woman in the car behind said I did a full somersault over the bars, with the bike. However, I do remember I was riding solo, as far to the right side as possible.

As is often the case, I don't remember the several seconds before the crash, so I really don't know where I was.
My understanding is the shock of the impact interferes with the transfer of the memory from short term to long term. I was also sleep deprived, so I'm not sure what happened and if I caused the crash by drifting off for a second. Micro sleep is a real hazard when driving, and I don't let myself ride sleep deprived since then just in case.
Old 05-16-22, 09:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I was not struck by the vehicle, but rather I struck the vehicle that made a RIGHT turn directly in front of me.

Dan
Old 05-16-22, 10:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I voted solo as far right as possible.

But the fact was I was solo on a bike path when a car coming out of a business drive hit me when he didnt look both way. It was a low speed hit.
Old 05-16-22, 12:28 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Riding solo. I was taking the lane entering a roundabout at a five-way intersection. I intended to circle around and take the last turnoff (essentially I was making a left turn). Driver behind me, who intended to go straight passed me on the left using part of of the non-road inner circle just as I was bearing left. He caught my front wheel and down I went. Not much damage to the bike and a bit of road rash for me. I was angry and showed it. The driver was pretty unnerved by the incident.
Old 05-17-22, 05:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
This is a totally unscientific poll.
Correct. No information is gathered on relative exposure to motor vehicle traffic while riding, nor any information as to the severity of any of the "incidents"

Perhaps next time include a spot for the respondents to indicate/estimate what percentage of their riding time is spent riding "taking the lane" vice as far right as possible, as well as what percentage of their riding time is spent "solo" vice in groups. Also define "incidents."
Old 05-17-22, 05:58 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 848 Posts
mine was a drunk making a left turn crossing through two lanes of traffic and taking me out.
Old 05-17-22, 06:45 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I believe the biggest issue today is "Cell Phones" !

If drivers take eyes off the road to view phones then other objects ahead of them in the road are going to be hit.

Same issue with walkers on MUPS ... so many are not enjoying nature but rather looking at phones as they walk almost anywhere in the MUPS.

Even worse are the ear buds since they DONT hear cyclist verbal warnings about approaching and needing to pass.
Likes For joesch:
Old 05-17-22, 06:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by joesch
Even worse are the ear buds since they DONT hear cyclist verbal warnings about approaching and needing to pass.
Even worse are hot shot cyclists on MUPs bellowing "verbal warnings" to other users of the path about their "need to pass."
Old 05-17-22, 07:01 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Even worse are hot shot cyclists on MUPs bellowing "verbal warnings" to other users of the path about their "need to pass."
You can not be serious?
This would be like complaining about vehicles using horns and/or wanting to pass slower vehicles often not driving the speed limit.
Likes For joesch:
Old 05-17-22, 08:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You can not be serious?
This would be like complaining about vehicles using horns and/or wanting to pass slower vehicles often not driving the speed limit.
Making noise in order to bully people out of the way instead of passing properly is a jerk move.
You are right. Obnoxious cyclists acting like jerks are just like obnoxious jerks driving automobiles.
Old 05-17-22, 11:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm completely confused by this. To me, a polite and safe pass involves notifying the pedestrian or other cyclists that I am going to pass them on their left so a) I don't startle them and b) they don't suddenly cross over to the side of the path I'm passing them on without looking. I have to say it relatively loudly or they won't hear it, but I don't bellow, and nowhere do I use the word "need". If pedestrians react to this at all, it's usually with a wave or frequently a "thank you". No one is expecting the cyclists to ride at the same pace as the pedestrians walk, so if you're walking on a MUP or riding slowly on it, it is a given that you will be passed at some point.

Are you complaining that people are being warned, about the tone of voice, or the manner of passes?
Old 05-17-22, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Making noise in order to bully people out of the way instead of passing properly is a jerk move.
You are right. Obnoxious cyclists acting like jerks are just like obnoxious jerks driving automobiles.
Are you saying making noise is bullying? If you're going to make accusations, you really need to be specific as to what you're complaining about because passing silently is definitely not being protective of the passee's safety and, in a lot of places, actually an explicit violation of laws, regulations or ordinances..
Old 05-17-22, 11:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm completely confused by this. To me, a polite and safe pass involves notifying the pedestrian or other cyclists that I am going to pass them on their left ...

Are you complaining that people are being warned, about the [implied] tone of voice, or the manner of passes?
The [implied] tone of voice, and [implied] need for recipient of warning to get out of the way of the needy passer who doesn't want to slow down for anybody.
To me "cyclist verbal warnings about approaching and needing to pass" implies a hot shot cyclist yelling for everyone else to move aside because he needs to pass and can't wait for MUP "traffic" to clear for a safe pass. Especially when the same poster doubles down with another post that assumes it is no different than "vehicles using horns and/or wanting to pass slower vehicles often not driving the speed limit"as if there is some minimum speed other users must maintain or be "warned" if they don't.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-17-22 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 12:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The [implied] tone of voice, and [implied] need for recipient of warning to get out of the way of the needy passer who doesn't want to slow down for anybody.
To me "cyclist verbal warnings about approaching and needing to pass" implies a hot shot cyclist yelling for everyone else to move aside because he needs to pass and can't wait for MUP "traffic" to clear for a safe pass. Especially when the same poster doubles down with another post that assumes it is no different than "vehicles using horns and/or wanting to pass slower vehicles often not driving the speed limit"as if there is some minimum speed other users must maintain or be "warned" if they don't.

You "implied" a whole lot of stuff from that, but basically you're quibbling with some phrasing in 2 posts. Got it.

Just be clear, do you think it rude to warn people before you pass? Because I think the opposite is true--passing without warning is rude and dangerous.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-17-22, 12:22 PM
joesch

Let be clear and I will for your sake clarify.
I said nothing about "Obnoxious cyclists acting like jerks".
Im commenting on safety concerns to cyclist from ignorant drivers and walkers who are tuned out on phones and listening to audio. These are safety concerns for cyclist.
Hope this is clear to you.
Old 05-17-22, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Let be clear and I will for your sake clarify.
I said nothing about "Obnoxious cyclists acting like jerks".
Im commenting on safety concerns to cyclist from ignorant drivers and walkers who are tuned out on phones and listening to audio. These are safety concerns for cyclist.
Hope this is clear to you.

I guess I'm a bit confused by your posts too because I always announce my passes on MUPs but I also complain about cars honking their horns because the drivers think people aren't going fast enough. Overuse of horns is an actual safety issue..
Old 05-17-22, 12:39 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Two incidents I recall, I was not injured in one, had a small scratch on my hand from the other. The first one I was riding as far to the right as possible, then angled slightly towards the centre of the road to cross some railroad tracks that were too close to parallel to the road and an old person in an old station wagon hit me, but gently enough that I only received a cut on my hand and I did not fall.
The second one, I was riding in a straight line down a hill and a small SUV passed me, obviously not aware I was going as fast as I was, then tried to turn right before they were all the way past... the dreaded 'right hook' - but because of the geometry of the side of the vehicle I was able to lean against it and safely go around the corner with them and straighten out and pull myself away from the car. No injury.

I also once was getting a weird clicking from my drivetrain (turns out it was a stiff link in the chain) and as I rode along staring at my crank to figure out what the noise was, a minivan passed me, got ~20m in front, then pulled to the side of the road and parked, and I slammed into the back of the minivan. I consider that one me hitting the vehicle because had I been looking where I was going it 100% wouldn't have happened.
Old 05-17-22, 01:01 PM
Bald Paul

Well, as usual, a simple, unscientific poll has been hijacked by one who feels the need to "engorge" his post count and start arguments.

Mods, please lock this thread.

I wish the "Ignore" feature was more of a "Block" feature, where you could choose who could not see your posts at all.