Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wear Bright Clothing Please

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wear Bright Clothing Please

Old 06-04-13, 02:50 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I saw bow-coo cyclists on my ride yesterday and the majority of them were wearing hi-vis.

Someone needs to design a hi-vis jersey that isn't butt ugly.
I came across This company: Torm which is supposed to be about 95% as good quality as Rapha for a better price. Interesting color selection and they are made of "Sportwool" which is Merino wool on the inside and polyester on the outside.

I especially like the simple horizontal stripe configuration for a good contrast for a little visibility. I'd have to know how long they are since I'm tall for my size.

Here is a review of the product as compared to the pricier Rapha brand
Old 06-04-13, 04:03 AM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A cyclist looking to blend in with his/her back round is what I call culling of the herd!

Last edited by lenny866; 06-04-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 04:15 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lenny866
A cyclist looking to blend in with his/her back round is what I call culling of the heard!
I think the herd has heard what you said and is now running in the other direction.
Old 06-04-13, 08:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Chartreuse. Doesn't that sound sexier than green-yellow or hi-viz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_%28color%29

Old 06-04-13, 11:29 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Sometimes the perceived need for high visibility jerseys may be effected by the terrain one rides in. I had a good ride today in an area relatively new to me on roads that just a bit busier than I normally ride. Here in the NE USA, even in populous areas, there is often a continuous forrest canopy. As a result I was in shade or moving between bright sunlight and shade. I did think about being visible and was glad to be wearing my "screaming yellow jersey.
Old 06-04-13, 01:55 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I'd say guys and girls who ride with music blaring from ear speakers are probably more dangerous to themselves even on bike trails. I've ridden with a guy who wanted to do that back when and thought it was ridiculously dangerous for him to do that. He stopped doing it when he found himself riding on after we had stopped for a break.
Old 06-04-13, 02:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Doesn't matter what colour you wear-they will all get lost in the background somewhere. I have seen yellow get lost in a field of Brassica Napus (Oilseed Ra pe) Black can stand out very well in town situations with grey Concrete buildings but in general brighter colours do get noticed very well. Best I have seen is any combination of two contrasting co;lours and the 50+ jersey is a good example of this being red but a large expanse of white in the shield.
How bout Black?...........

Old 06-04-13, 02:25 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
You know, sometimes everybody misses something. I know I have. Not in the same vein but once my boss and I spent 30 min looking for her glasses. Finally I saw them. Around her neck where they always were! I try to use these moments to motivate me to see what is already there.
Old 06-04-13, 05:45 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Sometimes the perceived need for high visibility jerseys may be effected by the terrain one rides in. I had a good ride today in an area relatively new to me on roads that just a bit busier than I normally ride. Here in the NE USA, even in populous areas, there is often a continuous forrest canopy. As a result I was in shade or moving between bright sunlight and shade. I did think about being visible and was glad to be wearing my "screaming yellow jersey.
The issue for drivers with this sort of environment is the dappling and the speed at which is passes means the eye's iris is not opening rapidly enough to see properly in the shadows. The dappling also can have a hypnotic effect, so the driver's attention can be affected. That screaming yellow certainly does become a focal point in those situations.
Old 06-04-13, 06:02 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you. I have a flashing white light on the front AND back. I think red lights are next to worthless. You want to be seen and ID'd as a cyclist.
Old 06-04-13, 07:00 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
You know, sometimes everybody misses something. I know I have.
That's very true and you can never eliminate people not seeing you. But just because you can't eliminate it doesn't mean that we can't, and shouldn't, minimize the chance of people not seeing you!
Old 06-04-13, 07:30 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
I agree with you. I have a flashing white light on the front AND back. I think red lights are next to worthless. You want to be seen and ID'd as a cyclist.
You need a new tail light.
A white light on the back of a bike is miscommunication.
Old 06-04-13, 08:23 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A friend of mine wore this last weekend:

https://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/t...eve-men-s.html

Highly reflective, and has a triangle on the back.

A bit pricey, but I may get one...
Old 06-04-13, 09:33 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday

Anyone that can't see that needs a Seeing Eye Dog!
Old 06-05-13, 03:21 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With that Jersey, I'd see it flash beneath my eyelids every time I blinked.
Old 06-05-13, 06:00 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday

Me likey!!! I might just have to put that in my 'bike budget'
Old 06-05-13, 06:41 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I believe the point of the OP was that not only he, but any driver, can miss a bicyclist on the road for a variety of reasons and this can be ameliorated by wearing bright clothing. Thise who attacked the OP for not seeing the bicyclist missed the point a bit.

IMHO, multi-colored bright jerseys are, in essence, a form of camouflage when viewed from a distance - similar to the camouflage used in military situations, where they have numerous colors to mimic the background. I remember in WWII the multi-colored camouflage draped over numerous military producing installations, such as Convair in San Diego.

Instead, one should wear a solid bright color such as the lime yellow. I use a solid very bright orange flourescent jersey, but would certainly consider the lime-yellow.
Old 06-05-13, 09:33 AM
RoadHolland
Cycling Apparel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard for me not to comment here, especially since I make a lot of cycling clothes, and none can be characterized as BRIGHT or NEON (well we do have a lime-green tshirt). I do agree that cyclists should use front and rear lights when their visibility is in question. But saying that a cyclist has to go out and ride head to toe in bright yellow warning clothes is really unnecessary. Why are bicyclists being told they need to ride these clothes when motorcyclists have been enjoying their denim and leather for decades? I think what you are mistakenly saying is that bicycling is dangerous and that we should be scared to go out and ride on our streets. This is false, and preventing cyclists from wearing normal looking clothing just sends a message to drivers that we shouldn't be there. Share the Road is the answer, and wear what you want to.

Last edited by RoadHolland; 06-05-13 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-13, 09:58 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
RoadHolland-What motorcyclists wear is not, at least to me, relevant. I'm not riding one. I recognize that biking particularly in areas with traffic puts me at an increased risk. Do I let it stop me from riding? Of course not, however, I do what I can to minimize that risk(at least when it suits me) and therefore ride wearing brightly colored jerseys and having a blinky on the rear of my bike.
Old 06-05-13, 10:02 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadHolland
...Why are bicyclists being told they need to ride these clothes when motorcyclists have been enjoying their denim and leather for decades?...
Nobody can ride a two-wheel, motorized mode of transportation on any military base in this country unless they are wearing a "high visibility" safety vest/jacket.
Old 06-05-13, 10:26 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I've been surprised by riders that appear suddenly because of what they wear when they ride. I've never hit anyone, but that is just a luck of the situation thing at this point. In my mind I have already decided that it is better to merge into a car than strike a rider in an emergency situation. Dressing for the time of day and surroundings is HUGELY important.

Glad everyone is OK.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-05-13, 10:28 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
It's hard for me not to comment here, especially since I make a lot of cycling clothes, and none can be characterized as BRIGHT or NEON (well we do have a lime-green tshirt). I do agree that cyclists should use front and rear lights when their visibility is in question. But saying that a cyclist has to go out and ride head to toe in bright yellow warning clothes is really unnecessary. Why are bicyclists being told they need to ride these clothes when motorcyclists have been enjoying their denim and leather for decades? I think what you are mistakenly saying is that bicycling is dangerous and that we should be scared to go out and ride on our streets. This is false, and preventing cyclists from wearing normal looking clothing just sends a message to drivers that we shouldn't be there. Share the Road is the answer, and wear what you want to.
All this is true and very appropriate. We have a right to be there!

OTOH, the insurance agent in me says-reduce your risks! Be your own risk manager.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-05-13, 10:37 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Share the Road is the answer, and wear what you want to.
Yeah, remind my widow to tell the driver that!

This isn't about RIGHTS. Of course we have the right to be there. It is about common sense and creating the best chance for a driver to see you. Comparisons with motorcyclists aren't at all relevant since they are operating a much larger machine directly in the lane of travel and going at or above traffic speed. Besides which, motorcyclists are a high risk group and many of them are killed or injured each year by drivers who 'just didn't see them'.
Old 06-05-13, 10:44 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I see a couple of things going on here. The first is the issue of the OP recognizing that he didn't see something he expected he would see, and knowing that some of that had to do with the rider not being conspicuous for the given situation. Keep in mind that this particular situation includes, the time of day, the colors involved, that visual acuity of the driver and many other factors affecting the ability to see the rider in the foreground and not the background. This was a dynamic situation with enough variables that it might be rash to pick out one as a singular issue to be addressed.

For my part, if I had been in the same situation as the OP, I would be asking what I could do to make sure I’m more likely to see a rider in a similar situation. I believe it would be unrealistic to assume I wouldn’t encounter a similar situation in the future. So, three things come to mind. First, I would want to evaluate any role speed might have played. If I were going slower, would I have been better able to spot the rider sooner and/or have more time to react? Next, I would want to consider how adequately I was scanning the full field. That is, was I effective in scanning the entire road, especially the sides of the road? And the third thing I would want to assess is if there were changes or limitations with my vision that contributed to the situation. (I know, for example, that when I wore my first pair of bifocals, going down stairs took some real adjustments.) Perhaps there are adjustments that need to be made to enhance my vision.

If I were a rider who heard of such a situation, I might be thinking about three things. What could I do to be more conspicuous? Of course, there are numerous possibilities for accomplishing this. Next, I would think about where I ride and what the traffic was like where I ride. If, for example, I ride on a narrow road with lots of shade and cars tend to drive this road for sport, I would think about where I wanted to position myself on various parts of the ride. Or, I might even decide that there were times of day when I would not ride on that stretch of road. The third thing I’d think about is if I wanted to make any adjustments to or just go with the philosophy that what happens, happens. Now I’ve thought about this third thing a great deal and have come to the conclusion that what happens can be tempered by my role within it. So, I do pay attention to how conspicuous I am and where or when I’m riding.

What I don’t comprehend is the need to find a villain in situations like this or the need to find more or less fault with a given approach. There were a lot of things taking place in the OP’s example. I think it unwise to have a limited view of it.

Last edited by NOS88; 06-05-13 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 11:46 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting to read comments. Some, clearly, are taking advantage of the opportunity to promote their politics or business. Others are struggling with the need to be seen. On that subject the verdict has been in for quite some time.

Clothing and visibility standards for highway workers and other occupations recognize that roads are dangerous places. People who wear those vest and other clothing don't do it as a fashion statement. They don't argue about their right to be where they are. They do it because after lots of analysis we know it saves injury and death.

Cyclists also need to understand that the same rules of life apply. See and be Seen is the rule on the road and in the air. No academic discussion or political agenda or fashion argument changes that. We are different only in that there is no law or military commander making good sense decisions for us. We are responsible for our own survival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.