Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Steel bike failure. Is this manufacturing or something else?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Steel bike failure. Is this manufacturing or something else?

Old 04-15-20, 09:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I’m from Missouri, show me.
-mr. bill
--------------------------------
Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.
Is "selective state syndrome" a thing?

MO="You're accountable to me"
MA="I'm not accountable"

PS--I'm not serious, it's just a funny juxtaposition, and I like using the word juxtaposition.

Juxtaposition--YAY!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-01-20, 03:09 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Any updates on whether this is going to trial?
Old 06-01-20, 03:45 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
My guess is defective tube plus some previous damage.
Old 06-03-20, 09:41 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
To me, it looks like brittle welds as a result of improper set up and temperature control.

My project car is a Jaguar E-Type which has a complex front frame that is brazed together. Anyone who knows anything about these frames knows that they can only be properly repaired by someone very knowledgeable about temperature control and brazing the specific alloy. People have repaired them without proper temperature control and have ended up having catastrophic failures.
I agree. The failures appear way too clean, brittle failure, little deformation. Even if this was initiated by a pothole or hitting a curb, the frame should bend, not break in brittle fashion. Downtube could have acquired deformation before, during or after (as in the bike flying into the fence) the incident. There's no way that this was not the fault of poor manufacturing, temp control, etc. At least in part.

Upshot: Brittle failure in the heat affected zone should not happen on a properly welded bike. If I were the guy's attorney, I'd have the tubes tested for proper alloy using x-ray fluorescence, and I'd have the HAZ tested for hardness, and the other welds for susceptibility to brittle failure.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 06-03-20, 01:57 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I find it unusual how clean the breaks are.
I have seen a fair amount of failed aluminium frames, and even among those I’d struggle to find such clean fracture lines.
And this was a steel frame, which - to me - make the appearence of the breaks even more intriguing.
Sure, I’ve seen cracks in steel too.
And in steel welds. But they often veer off.
Only times I’ve seen cracks track that true has been associated with fatigue failure.
And the age of the bicycle would make that unlikely.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-03-20, 06:02 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm curious about whether it is a good idea to buy a Space Horse. Has anyone had any problems with ANY model of All City bikes in a way that was a catastrophic failure like the video described? I know any man made object can have problems. We're all human. But, I just want to know if this is a pervasive issue with this manufacturer.
Old 06-05-20, 01:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Well, bad information keeps piling up in here. This is a fatigue failure in the exact location where you would expect to see a fatigue failure in a weld. Nothing remarkable about it at all. Sometimes fatigue cracks will propagate out onto a tube, but not always. We don't have good enough information to see where or why it started. Certainly there was a failure in rupture at the end when the crack got big enough that the remaining material couldn't withstand the load.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-23-20, 05:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Excerpts of recent events:

On Friday, May 21 Case assigned.
On Wednesday, July 8, defendant filed a motion for partial summary judgement.
On Wednesday, July 21, dismissal of partial summary judgement.
On Monday, August 10 the plaintiff filed a motion to voluntarily dismiss.
On Wednesday, August 12 first pretrial clearance hearing.
On Wednesday, August 19, final pretrial conference date was set to 12/17/2021.
On Thursday, August 20, final judgement.

This sequence of events usually signals a settlement, often confidential, between parties.

Note that Macho Man and Macho Man Flat Bar have been discontinued.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-23-20, 12:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Interesting that they appear to have settled. I'm a little surprised they didn't settle when they first heard about it. I certainly would not have wanted to be an expert witness for the company.

Originally Posted by cubewheels
In the better quality production, they would anneal the whole frame for a period of time after welding. This helps toughen and reduce brittleness in the welded joints. It's possible they forgot to aneal that particular frame
Virtually no steel frames are annealed or heat treated as an assembly. There is no need. Aluminum frames are sometimes heat treated depending on the alloy. Something else went wrong with this frame, probably a welding flaw that we can't see from the poor quality pictures available to us.

I still need to go clean my All City
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-23-20, 02:01 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleNutz
I'm curious about whether it is a good idea to buy a Space Horse. Has anyone had any problems with ANY model of All City bikes in a way that was a catastrophic failure like the video described? I know any man made object can have problems. We're all human. But, I just want to know if this is a pervasive issue with this manufacturer.
I believe the actual manufacturer is Maxway, who make steel frames for a large number of mass-production companies like ACB/Surly/Jamis, not to mention other companies like Ritchey.

Maxway's site doesn't mention ACB but does mention the other major QBP brands of Salsa and Surly, so it's a safe bet they make ACB frames too.

We currently supply to global customers. Many of them are reputed bicycle assemblers, such as Jamis, DMR, Ritchey, Surly, Salsa, Cooper, CRC, MTB cycles, Raleigh.... and so on.

I'm guessing "612" is some kind of own-brand for a custom-ordered crmo profile, or a mix of existing cro-mo tubes. This isn't really unprecedented (see: Raleigh USA branding their general 4130 tubes as "555") It's certainly not some kind of tube brand that ACB makes and welds themselves.

Anyway, this is all to say that this bike was made by an extremely experienced and well-regarded vendor of mass-market steel frames, and any QC failure is likely a highly isolated event. Otherwise we'd be seeing steel frame failures from a dozen vendors all over the place.

Last edited by sheddle; 08-23-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-23-20, 02:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Interesting that they appear to have settled. I'm a little surprised they didn't settle when they first heard about it. I certainly would not have wanted to be an expert witness for the company.
I don't think one could expect a quick settlement.

Bike damage + Personal Injury.

The bike company would have wanted to give a crash discount on a new frame. If that didn't work, replace it, or offer replacement cost.

Personal injury could easily throw it into $100K to $1M. Certainly a large enough amount to necessitate getting the fame for inspection, and some back and forth between the lawyers.
Old 08-23-20, 02:47 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
I believe the actual manufacturer is Maxway, who make steel frames for a large number of mass-production companies like ACB/Surly/Jamis, not to mention other companies like Ritchey.

Maxway's site doesn't mention ACB but does mention the other major QBP brands of Salsa and Surly, so it's a safe bet they make ACB frames too.
That, and the fact that All City has pictures of the inside of a Maxway factory in a “blog” post on their website.

Originally Posted by sheddle
I'm guessing "612" is some kind of own-brand for a custom-ordered crmo profile, or a mix of existing cro-mo tubes. This isn't really unprecedented (see: Raleigh USA branding their general 4130 tubes as "555") It's certainly not some kind of tube brand that ACB makes and welds themselves.
That, and the fact that All City has a ”blog” post on their website saying exactly that.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-23-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 05:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Liberty Ships had similar issues

https://offbeatoregon.com/1606c.sche...-ship-396.html
Old 08-24-20, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
That, and the fact that All City has pictures of the inside of a Maxway factory in a “blog” post on their website.

That, and the fact that All City has a ”blog” post on their website saying exactly that.

-mr. bill

As mentioned several times above, 612 is the Minneapolis/St. Paul area code. The badge is a Minneapolis bridge.

Love to know the settlement terms.
Old 08-24-20, 10:34 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
In the better quality production, they would anneal the whole frame for a period of time after welding. This helps toughen and reduce brittleness in the welded joints. It's possible they forgot to aneal that particular frame
Only with aluminium frames. Nobody anneals steel frames because you would lose the benefit of the cold-working. The welds are not brittle on a steel frame because they are done with a mild steel filler.
Old 08-24-20, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Speaking of Welds on a bicycle, it's Tuesday!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-24-20, 04:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not really, it had square corners on all the openings. I just recently saw something the U.S. navy put out reminding people not to do this.
Old 08-24-20, 06:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Not really, it had square corners on all the openings. I just recently saw something the U.S. navy put out reminding people not to do this.
Quite a bit more complicated than that but yes, that was one contributor.

Read the history of the De Havilland Comet airliner some time. Shows it takes some time to get the technology right.
Old 08-25-20, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Read the history of the De Havilland Comet airliner some time. Shows it takes some time to get the technology right.

Fortunately, the windows on my bike are rounded.
Old 08-26-20, 08:02 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
still don't get how he hit that fence when riding parallel to it, strange
Not strange at all. I witnessed a guy coming at me on a bike path when suddenly his cf handlebar snapped and he veered to the right into a bunch of bushes. he got scratched up up a bit but otherwise ok, had he veered to the left he may have hit me. He told me he had no control, his hands suddenly just dropped, which is what I saw, and into the bushes he went. He claimed he didn't change anything on the bars that required proper torque, so either the bike shop screwed up the torquing or the bike manufacturer did. I never heard the outcome of this event.
Old 08-27-20, 10:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pondering this further, I would suggest the person that set up the robot welder set in wrong numbers. It could have been a new person, it could have been just a mistake in the setting, or it could have been Mon after a party weekend.

However it looks like the mfg settled.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-28-20 at 09:38 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-29-20, 10:33 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That crease in the downtube makes me wonder if someone didn't run headfirst into a curb, but how clean those welds came apart makes me question the integrity of the bike's construction.

This was my thought.

The lawyer claims there are eye witnesses to the crash and that he was just "riding along". Supposedly is on video.

Just thinking out loud and based on the crease alone in that I don't see a lot of scraping along the tube end. It would seem like he may have hit a curb or something elsewhere and was riding along here when it finally let go. One would think that if this is on video there would be a notable difference in the front wheel angle or wheelbase.
Old 09-04-20, 07:57 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Looking at the pictures and remembering back to when I was welding, thin and heat treated steel you have to be careful when you weld to not get the surrounding area too hot. Welding by hand you would tack weld say every inch then come back and weld one inch section on one side then move to the to another area and weld a section, moving around so as not to get one area too hot. Welding too much at once can weaken the metal around the weld and make it break right next to the weld like that. so its plausible from the pictures there could be a welding problem.
Old 09-05-20, 08:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Not really that much more complicated. The solution was to not cause cracks, i.e. make rounded corners. They have a lot of problems with stress corrosion cracking, but that requires cracks. De Havilland didn't understand the fatigue cycles that an airplane undergoes. They also didn't understand fatigue that well. And they had large cracks from square windows that they didn't expect so they weren't looking for them. I'm sure they had other design details that were very poor from a fatigue resistance perspective because they really didn't know any better. They are one of the big reasons we know this stuff, nobody had done it before. It's still not hard to find engineers that don't fully understand how fatigue failures happen.

There are two things about fatigue failures that make them seem mysterious. The first is that fatigue cracking can occur at stresses below the yield strength of the material. The second is that in ductile materials, it's possible to have long cracks without noticing them. Then a large load comes along and causes instant failure (rupture). Can't really blame a cyclist for not noticing a long crack. I fixed a frame that had a crack all the way around the head lug on the head tube. There was about 1/8" of uncracked material. That was a very long crack. You could only see it on the inside of the head tube. Can't expect anyone to look in there on a regular basis.

I probably said this before, but the bucking of the downtube is consistent with happening during a rupture under load. In fact, I would say it's obvious that it happened when most of tube was not attached because of the deflection. The buckling that happens from a front impact is almost always further back, because the moment is higher there.
Old 09-06-20, 01:16 PM
Pop N Wood

Not really that much more complicated. .
I spent several years operating a nuclear reactor. Not a square corner on the reactor vessel anywhere, yet we had strict procedures regulating what temperature the reactor had to be before we could subject it to full system pressure. The restrictions were updated with the power history because naturally the neutron flux affected the nil ductility temperature of the steel.

Lots of factors at play. Getting back to ships the USS Schenectady is an interesting example.

https://www.designnews.com/materials...ittle-fracture

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.