Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek SL v SLR differences ?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-06-21, 07:20 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts

I haven't gone through the specs for each version of these bikes ( Domane SLR 6 v. SL 6) with a fine tooth comb but It looks to me as if the level of carbon used is the main determining factor in price. The SL seems to weigh approximately 1 lb more than the SLR model. Is there any other major difference that I'm missing?
Old 08-06-21, 07:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I haven't gone through the specs for each version of these bikes ( Domane SLR 6 v. SL 6) with a fine tooth comb but It looks to me as if the level of carbon used is the main determining factor in price. The SL seems to weigh approximately 1 lb more than the SLR model. Is there any other major difference that I'm missing?
SLR models also use a different method of employing the rear IsoSpeed decoupling; it is adjustable on the SLR, not adjustable with the SL.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-21, 07:56 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by WhyFi
SLR models also use a different method of employing the rear IsoSpeed decoupling; it is adjustable on the SLR, not adjustable with the SL.
Thank you!
Old 08-06-21, 08:54 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Also carbon wheels and a different/better handlebar ....when you do a side by side compar-o on Trek's website it brings these things to light. Components are the same and the rest is similar but the higher modulus carbon and the wheel set appears to be where the weight savings are. I am seriously thinking about the SLR6 this winter as I have been saving up some cash. After years on a somewhat undersized Trek 2.3 with large hydroformed aluminum tubes a SLR6 would probably feel like a magic carpet.
Old 08-06-21, 09:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Also carbon wheels and a different/better handlebar ....when you do a side by side compar-o on Trek's website it brings these things to light.
I didn't even think of using that comparison tool, Thanks!

My purchase may still be about 6 months out but I'm trying to get a better idea of the brands and options that are out there in my price range. The biggest fly in the ointment is going to be finding someone with my size in stock to that I can test ride it first. There's no way in the world I'm dishing out $4k+ on a bike without taking it for a test ride. And I do know that this is going to be my biggest obstacle when it comes time to make a decision.
Old 08-06-21, 09:06 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I didn't even think of using that comparison tool, Thanks!

My purchase may still be about 6 months out but I'm trying to get a better idea of the brands and options that are out there in my price range. The biggest fly in the ointment is going to be finding someone with my size in stock to that I can test ride it first. There's no way in the world I'm dishing out $4k+ on a bike without taking it for a test ride. And I do know that this is going to be my biggest obstacle when it comes time to make a decision.
The compar-o tool on their website is kind of nice. There is a bike shop about 3 1/2 hours away that has one in stock in my size and the color I want. I'm not ready to drop the loot just yet but have been keeping an eye on it. I ride a 58 right now and its just a tad on the smalllish size. They have a 60 and man I want it bad !! I have also given a thought to custom ordering a Titanium bike but like you I want to test ride before I spend 5 or 6K on a bicycle. That's honestly worth more than my car right now lol.
Old 08-10-21, 06:27 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
A tease. SL6. SLR6 was out of my budget. But after I get a second set of wheel in carbon I’ll get close. Oh if you go SLR there are frame geometry options too. If you’re going that far ask about ordering a Project One. Our local Trek store tempted me with a Project One SLR6 on my size coming in this week I think. Decked out but $7k.

Updated picture

Last edited by biker128pedal; 08-11-21 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-10-21, 08:21 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The SLR costs more so your wallet is lighter so you go faster.

Serious answers above are correct. The frame and the wheels (especially the wheels) are the biggest differences. I upgraded from a 2019 Domane SL5 to a 2021 SLR 7 (an SLR 6 but with Di2) and I managed 5-10% faster without actually having to put out more power. If you can't fit the SLR into your budget you can always get the SL6 and buy another wheelset later. Then, with two wheelsets, you can use the Paradigm Comp wheels as a gravel set and the better set for the road.

I love my SLR 7. It cost a bundle but I love every second I'm on the bike.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-10-21, 08:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I was looking to get the SL7 last year in Aug 2020, when the delivery got pushed out to May 2021, I pull the trigger on the SLR7 Project One because why not. Did not really want to spend that much, but what the hell right? At that time, the P1 bikes were being delivered in about 10 days. Love the bike and love the di2.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-10-21, 09:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
A tease. SL6. SLR6 was out of my budget. But after I get a second set of wheel in carbon I’ll get close. Oh if you go SLR there are frame geometry options too. If you’re going that far ask about ordering a Project One. Our local Trek store tempted me with a Project One SLR6 on my size coming in this week I think. Decked out but $7k.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I was looking to get the SL7 last year in Aug 2020, when the delivery got pushed out to May 2021, I pull the trigger on the SLR7 Project One because why not. Did not really want to spend that much, but what the hell right? At that time, the P1 bikes were being delivered in about 10 days. Love the bike and love the di2.

Guys...You're supposed to have the bike in the big ring and any cog from the middle to the 11. Great photos otherwise.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-10-21, 09:07 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Guys...You're supposed to have the bike in the big ring and any cog from the middle to the 11. Great photos otherwise.
LOL... yea I noticed that when I posted it up. I will have to get a new pic I guess

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-10-21, 09:09 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by cxwrench

Here is my Emonda correctly positioned in the interim...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-10-21, 09:12 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Niiiiiice!
Old 08-11-21, 02:39 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Higher modulus carbon, besides being lighter, is going to have a smoother ride. They use less epoxy in the construction and can design it to flex where you want it and be stiff where you want it. I have a Diamondback Podium and I can flex the seat stays by hand, they're like mini shock absorbers. It rides smoother than any steel bike I've ever had but you're going to pay serious bucks for those bikes. I tried that on another carbon bike (forgot which, I think Fuji) that was your standard decent priced 105 bike that the average rider probably buys and they wouldn't move. The aluminum version of the same model probably has a similar road feel and weight.
Old 08-11-21, 07:03 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Here is my Emonda correctly positioned in the interim...

What year? Is that the aluminum frame. I have all my parts from my warranties Madone 5.0. Was looking at the rim brake aluminum frame. I’d need the BB and direct mount brakes. I even have those wheels. Just wish it had rack mounts.

I like your background better than my obligatory garage door.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 08-11-21 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 07:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Is that the real deal or just gimmicky?

I have a 2021 SL5.
Old 08-11-21, 07:26 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by prj71
Is that the real deal or just gimmicky?

I have a 2021 SL5.
Is what the real deal? IsoSpeed in general or the adjustable version on the SLR?

I thought that the IsoSpeed worked really well on my 2018 Domane SL5 - smoothing out irregularities without being intrusive.

As far as the adjustable version in the SLR, I couldn't tell you. I personally didn't see the value in it, given the cost difference, and it seemed as if most people never really took advantage of the adjustability, but I'm sure actual owners will chime in.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-21, 07:31 AM
prj71

I was asking if the adjustable isospeed was the real deal or just gimmicky marketing fluff?

I find the ride of my SL5 to be fine. It's definitely smoother than the Giant road bike that I had.
Old 08-11-21, 07:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by prj71
I was asking if the adjustable isospeed was the real deal or just gimmicky marketing fluff?
I didn't find the regular IsoSpeed to be a gimmick, so I wouldn't expect the adjustable version to be a gimmick either. I can certainly imagine that some would like to be able to fine tune it, though, compensating for factors like rider weight, preferred cadence, and road surface... but I couldn't justify the additional expense.
Old 08-11-21, 07:43 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I think the adjustability would not be key for me. Once I find a setting I like I will probably leave it alone if I indeed get an SLR6. The bigger deal is probably the better carbon. That would be the draw for me as well as the better wheels.. I am currently riding an Aluminum Trek 2.3 with carbon stays/fork/handlebar. I imagine a new carbon bike will be quite a bit lighter. I love the 2.3 and over the years have upgraded it to mostly Dura Ace components. I really like it but want a new bike. I will have the money for an SLR6 and will order a new road bike sometime in January or February. I actually have the cash now but with the end of summer approaching I figure to finish out the season before making the investment. I would also like to build a new mountain bike so instead of buying another motorcycle I am investing in bicycles !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-11-21, 07:50 AM
biker128pedal

I think the adjustability would not be key for me. Once I find a setting I like I will probably leave it alone if I indeed get an SLR6. The bigger deal is probably the better carbon. That would be the draw for me as well as the better wheels.. I am currently riding an Aluminum Trek 2.3 with carbon stays/fork/handlebar. I imagine a new carbon bike will be quite a bit lighter. I love the 2.3 and over the years have upgraded it to mostly Dura Ace components. I really like it but want a new bike. I will have the money for an SLR6 and will order a new road bike sometime in January or February. I actually have the cash now but with the end of summer approaching I figure to finish out the season before making the investment. I would also like to build a new mountain bike so instead of buying another motorcycle I am investing in bicycles !!
Keep and eye out for the 2022 models. You may want to order earlier.
Old 08-11-21, 07:55 AM
prj71

I didn't find the regular IsoSpeed to be a gimmick, so I wouldn't expect the adjustable version to be a gimmick either. I can certainly imagine that some would like to be able to fine tune it, though, compensating for factors like rider weight, preferred cadence, and road surface... but I couldn't justify the additional expense.
I couldn't justify the additional expense either.
Old 08-11-21, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

Keep in mind that the base difference in weight, ie frameset weight, is about 4oz (the rest of the difference is in trim) and that both the Domane SL and SLR are chunky by carbon road bike standards. If comfort is paramount, they're the ticket. If you can give up a smidge of comfort (most modern road bikes these days will take at least a 28mm tire), there are lighter, more snappy handling options out there.
Old 08-11-21, 08:32 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Keep in mind that the base difference in weight, ie frameset weight, is about 4oz (the rest of the difference is in trim) and that both the Domane SL and SLR are chunky by carbon road bike standards. If comfort is paramount, they're the ticket. If you can give up a smidge of comfort (most modern road bikes these days will take at least a 28mm tire), there are lighter, more snappy handling options out there.
I understand they are a bit on the porky side but should be much lighter than what I currently am riding. I have lots of window shopping to do before buying a bike so I could change my mind a few times lol. I like the wheels on the S:R as well as a few other items so it is worth t to me . Plus I can afford the price difference. Ordering earlier is not a great option as I need to put flooring in two rooms of my house and the wife says I have to do that first !!! Hopefully if I order in Jan/Feb I can get it by spring. I did find one within driving distance that is a 60 cm. That seems to be a bigger size than most ride and being an expensive bike maybe it will hang around for 6 months and I an get a discount !! FWIW Lynskey said 12 weeks to delivery for an Ultegra equipped model which is also in my price range.
Old 08-11-21, 09:01 AM
biker128pedal

I understand they are a bit on the porky side but should be much lighter than what I currently am riding. I have lots of window shopping to do before buying a bike so I could change my mind a few times lol. I like the wheels on the S:R as well as a few other items so it is worth t to me . Plus I can afford the price difference. Ordering earlier is not a great option as I need to put flooring in two rooms of my house and the wife says I have to do that first !!! Hopefully if I order in Jan/Feb I can get it by spring. I did find one within driving distance that is a 60 cm. That seems to be a bigger size than most ride and being an expensive bike maybe it will hang around for 6 months and I an get a discount !! FWIW Lynskey said 12 weeks to delivery for an Ultegra equipped model which is also in my price range.
If there is a 60cm close by try and go for a test ride. I went a size down to a 58.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.