Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Two wheel recumbents on Amtrak?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 03:57 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

Can you take a two wheel recumbent on an Amtrak train? In this case it would be a Lightning Phantom on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Dallas. Amtrak's website states that you can store a "standard" sized bike in the baggage car. But I am not sure they can safely store a recumbent. Has anyone hauled a two wheel recumbent on Amtrak before? Thx
Old 01-07-22, 04:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I'd bring your bike to the train station and talk to them.

Are some recumbents smaller than others, including those with the rider over the front wheel?

I don't have one, but the Bike Friday SatRDay is supposed to fit into a suitcase, although they've been out of production for a few years.
Old 01-07-22, 06:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Years ago (and I mean a decade or more,) someone reported that Amtrak accepted bents on a as-room-allows basis. You should probably talk to them rather than ask us.
Old 01-09-22, 07:07 PM
jayhawk1972

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amtrak and Rans Rocket

Originally Posted by Harhir
Can you take a two wheel recumbent on an Amtrak train? In this case it would be a Lightning Phantom on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Dallas. Amtrak's website states that you can store a "standard" sized bike in the baggage car. But I am not sure they can safely store a recumbent. Has anyone hauled a two wheel recumbent on Amtrak before? Thx

I took my Rans Vrex on Amtrak from Rochester NY to Kansas City last September to ride the Katy Trail. Easy peasy. $20 per leg so $80 roundtrip for me. The Rochester to Chicago leg had a wall hanging system. The train from Chicago to Kansas City just leaned my bike against the wall of the baggage car. You can store your bike in Chicago for free if you have a long wait for connection. Overall experience with Amtrak was excellent.
Old 01-12-22, 04:59 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Thanks guys. I decided to take the car after all because the return with Amtrak would take me more than 48h and by car I can do it in about 12h. Although one day I would love to try out Amtrak.
Old 01-13-22, 03:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, 2 days would be a deal-killer. Although a 12-hour drive is just about my limit for driving, too.