Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tires for Paved Wet Roads Fall-Spring

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 04:50 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I’m not a commuter (wfh) but I figured this group may have some good ideas. I’m looking for tires I would use from around November-April, north of Toronto (Dec-Feb means temps often around 0C), that are good on occasional wet roads, that may be a bit slippery at times. more details:

- clearance for 40’s
- 700c using with a tube
- mainly will be used when roads are dry, but a 1/4 of the time the roads may be wet (temps above freezing), and very infrequently I’ll come across a section that is a bit slippery (not icy, I stay home in those conditions, or turn around if I come across them)
- doesn’t have to be a heavy and beefy commuter tire that goes for 10k, a bit lighter is appreciated
​​​​​​- I’ll likely be running with fenders (still have clearance for 40’s)

Thanks!
Old 01-23-22, 09:29 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes
Panaracer GravelKings might be ok too.
The new Conti Urban which is supposed to be similar to a 35c GP5000 might be worth a look as well.

If you check out BicycleRollingResistance.com they are starting to do wet grip testing. At least on Road tires. Though with your requirements, those above should work well.
Old 01-23-22, 11:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Last purchase, Gravelking SS Plus for rear.

Next purchase, Gravelking SK Plus for front.

Teravail Coronados (OEM on my bike) were too knobby for commuting and did not hold up that well. Rear was worn down at <1000 miles and succumbed to injury. Front tread not lasting all that long either.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-24-22, 04:45 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
As mentioned, the 622-40c Marathon Supremes are great on dry/wet, with those directional treads. Very nice rolling, grippy and good ride. I use 37c f/ 42c r for touring. The OneStar compound version is the best rolling. The Addix Tour compound is a little harder, but as comfy and less grippy. Puncture protection is very good. Haven't had a puncture in over 15k miles of riding over the years. The 622-42c is narrower @ 39mm inflated to 57psi tubeless, when loaded. They are getting harder to find in North America. I bought a bunch of Onestars after trying the Addix version, mainly because the Addix versions are all tubed, while the OneStar come in TLE.
The Panaracer Gravel Kings are designed for crappier road use, like dirt or cobbled etc. The GK Slick is nice and fast but I find it less grippy in the wet vs Supremes. For your use, I would suggest the Pasela in 40c, even if it is a narrow 37-38mm when mounted.. The Pasela are almost as easy rolling as the Supremes, but just about 10% less in basically all departments, especially sidewall puncture, which I had one on the Pasela., but it wins hands down on price, being 30% cheaper.
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I’m not a commuter (wfh) but I figured this group may have some good ideas. I’m looking for tires I would use from around November-April, north of Toronto (Dec-Feb means temps often around 0C), that are good on occasional wet roads, that may be a bit slippery at times. more details:

- clearance for 40’s
- 700c using with a tube
- mainly will be used when roads are dry, but a 1/4 of the time the roads may be wet (temps above freezing), and very infrequently I’ll come across a section that is a bit slippery (not icy, I stay home in those conditions, or turn around if I come across them)
- doesn’t have to be a heavy and beefy commuter tire that goes for 10k, a bit lighter is appreciated

Thanks!
Old 01-24-22, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Continental Gatorskins or Panaracer Paselas are my two top choices.

Paselas have a bit more give for a better ride, Gatorskins wear a bit better. One thing I didn't see in your list is flat resistance; fixing a flat kills your commute speed and time.

Also IME run new tires a few miles (commutes) before you take them out in the rain. That seems to wear off the mold release, and the rubber underneath is much better at grabbing pavement (wet or dry). It usually doesn't take much, maybe 50 miles or so.
Old 01-24-22, 09:52 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

When I got my Gravel king tire I wanted to order a Marathon Almotion, basically the fat tubeless version of the Supreme, but it was out of stock. I'm satisfied with what I got. The "Plus+" versions of the Gravel King are armored more.
Old 01-24-22, 07:30 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

- clearance for 40’s
- 700c using with a tube

Thanks!
Continental Top Contact II’s in 700x38c. The Top Contact II has Vectran belting so they offer excellent flat protection at a significantly lighter weight than Marathons and wet weather grip is outstanding. Conti also makes a “Winter” version with an aggressive tread pattern and can be studded, but it sounds like that’s more than you need.

Last edited by Kedosto; 01-24-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 10:46 AM
Sardines

I should add that Schwalbe and other manufacturers fudge the sizing a bit. They list ETRTO and ISO sizing and it's usually between the 2! The Marathon Supremes and Almotion are examples. The Supreme lists as 622-37c in ETRTO but 700-35c in ISO, and 28x1.4 just to mess with us! haha. Same for the 622-42c ETRTO, 700-40c ISO. You'd think in this day and age, the manufacturers would just get together and standardize everything.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
When I got my Gravel king tire I wanted to order a Marathon Almotion, basically the fat tubeless version of the Supreme, but it was out of stock. I'm satisfied with what I got. The "Plus+" versions of the Gravel King are armored more.
I use the Almotion (OneStar) as tourer as well. It does well on and off pavement in the wet, but the Supremes are semi-slicks really, so have more agility, being grippier and lighter, on the road. I still have a set of Almotion hanging in the garage. Seems more valuable now that they've gone to the Addix compound! haha
I know the Pro Tite protection has improved protection on Panaracers, and it blows my mind that they are made in Japan and it costs less than Schwalbe's Indonesian made tires by 20-30%! The Gravel King color series is my wife's fave tire right now, because of the Pansy colored tire, so who am I to say no?
Old 01-25-22, 12:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Sardines
I should add that Schwalbe and other manufacturers fudge the sizing a bit. They list ETRTO and ISO sizing and it's usually between the 2! The Marathon Supremes and Almotion are examples. The Supreme lists as 622-37c in ETRTO but 700-35c in ISO, and 28x1.4 just to mess with us! haha. Same for the 622-42c ETRTO, 700-40c ISO. You'd think in this day and age, the manufacturers would just get together and standardize everything.
One of them is height and the other is width. Annoying, isn't it?
Old 01-25-22, 01:24 PM
darrellc

Bikes: Specialized Expedition, custom TI Cycles road, Trek Checkpoint, Salsa Timberjack

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Continental Gatorskins are bulletproof but I hate riding them in winter here in the Pacific Northwest (I’m in Seattle)… they are the most slippery tire I’ve ridden on wet pavement. I pulled mine off as I had too many close calls with loss of traction with them. Using Cinturato Velo’s 700x35 but set up tubeless as winter tires and they have been great.
Likes For darrellc:
Old 01-25-22, 01:43 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
On my commuter are Schwalbe Marathon Plus most of the year, and the Schwalbe Marathon Winter (studded) go on for icy conditions. I've never fallen in wet/icy conditions, nor had a flat using either.
Old 01-25-22, 05:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The Gator Hardshells mentioned above are a lightweight, long wearing tire, but potentially a bit slick. Perhaps a summer tire.

The toughest, and best traction tire I've found so far is the Michelin Protek Cross Max. I found it had good traction, even in light slush.

Unfortunately a little bit slow of a tire, and not my favorite "century" tire, but it would make a good City tire.
Old 01-26-22, 05:29 AM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I can get a set of Schwalbe Marathon Racer road tires. They don’t have the same protection as some of the other tires mentioned, but as I’m not commuting or touring I thought this is no worse than my GP5000 I use on my road bike.
Old 01-26-22, 11:06 AM
Sardines

I can get a set of Schwalbe Marathon Racer road tires. They don’t have the same protection as some of the other tires mentioned, but as I’m not commuting or touring I thought this is no worse than my GP5000 I use on my road bike.
The Marathon Supreme One Star is a faster rolling and grippier tire than the Racer. I think you are overly reading the comments. When I say commuting and/or touring, I mean that's what I use it for, and it's not the only purpose of the tire. A fast rolling, grippy tire with a softer sidewall and good puncture protection, can be used for many applications, including fun rides, commutes and touring. I'm pretty sure puncture protection is important for any public ride except in a velodrome?
You also don't say what bike this is for?
Old 01-26-22, 11:37 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
I'm trialing a set of 700x40 Maxxis Re-Fuse tires at present - unsure about grip, but supposed to be really resistant to punctures.
Old 01-28-22, 03:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
On my commuter are Schwalbe Marathon Plus most of the year, and the Schwalbe Marathon Winter (studded) go on for icy conditions. I've never fallen in wet/icy conditions, nor had a flat using either.
If you ride in wet and icy conditions and you've never fallen, I'm tempted to say you don't ride hard enough.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-08-22, 09:33 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
4-Season

The only answer for me riding in winter wet Portland, Oregon are Conti 4-seasons. Expensive but fast rolling, excellent flat protection and amazing wet road traction. Also a pretty supple ride.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 02-09-22, 02:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by noglider
If you ride in wet and icy conditions and you've never fallen, I'm tempted to say you don't ride hard enough.
That's what we used to say skiing. But it's commuting, not Giant Slalom
Old 02-09-22, 03:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
My faves for the ride and very good grip are the Vittoria Open Paves. (Most have half their tread in green.) Not too far behind in the wet and better all the rest of the time are the Vittoria G+ (with that super tread pattern that got forgotten for decades, ribbed!). These are fairly light tires and fast rolling for the amount of sticky. The Open Paves do pick up stuff and flat and cut. The G+ with their graphene are a lot better in that respect. Vittoria also has a better gripping version of the G+. All the G+ may be rolled over into the G 2.0 now which I haven't tried yet.
Old 02-09-22, 04:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by darrellc
Continental Gatorskins are bulletproof but I hate riding them in winter here in the Pacific Northwest (I’m in Seattle)… they are the most slippery tire I’ve ridden on wet pavement. I pulled mine off as I had too many close calls with loss of traction with them. Using Cinturato Velo’s 700x35 but set up tubeless as winter tires and they have been great.
Are you me, because 100% this^. I've felt so confident on my 35mm Pirelli Cinturato Velos this winter that I've set PRs on many long and winding descents despite not riding outside much since the pandemic started and generally becoming more risk-averse.
Old 02-11-22, 12:51 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Since you're not limiting to commuting tires per se, I'll suggest Conti 4 Season and Vittoria Open Pave. The Pave in particular has really impressed me in terms of grip in the damp, but keep in mind they are a race tire.
Old 02-13-22, 02:15 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I’m looking for tires I would use from around November-April, north of Toronto (Dec-Feb means temps often around 0C), that are good on occasional wet roads, that may be a bit slippery at times.
In those types of conditions, I've had good luck (over several years) with the Continental Ride Tour tire. In mostly high-30s and above, frequently wet from rain, I generally rode at least several times weekly for a round-trip commuting loop. Handled well, had no punctures, dealt with standing water fairly well, and had sufficient grip even in corners taken at moderate speeds. They come in a variety of sizes in the 622 (700c) format: 28-622, 32-622, 37-622, as well as the larger 42- and 47- sizes). A little on the heavy side due to the solid anti-puncture strip, but otherwise they're a tire I'd do again.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...tour/ride-tour
Old 02-13-22, 03:20 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
In those types of conditions, I've had good luck (over several years) with the Continental Ride Tour tire. In mostly high-30s and above, frequently wet from rain, I generally rode at least several times weekly for a round-trip commuting loop. Handled well, had no punctures, dealt with standing water fairly well, and had sufficient grip even in corners taken at moderate speeds. They come in a variety of sizes in the 622 (700c) format: 28-622, 32-622, 37-622, as well as the larger 42- and 47- sizes). A little on the heavy side due to the solid anti-puncture strip, but otherwise they're a tire I'd do again.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...tour/ride-tour
I have a set of conti Ride Tours in 47 and they are great. I use them year around in summer, rain, snow. Cheap and bomb proof. I had a 32mm set earlier. I haven't had a flat ever on them, in over 3 years combined. Contis mount narrow, however, in my experience about 3 to 5 mm.

I also use 42 Conti Contact Speeds on another bike, which are faster and lighter, and work just as well. They are a but softer, so they absorb the cobble stones as well as the 47 Ride Tours.

I don't think you really need profile for wet weather bike tires. They are too narrow to hydroplane, so tread that displaces water isn't necessary. I have used 26" Kojaks in such conditions with no issue.