Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Small Pliers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 10:56 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Indicating that the nuts aren't necessary is useful information. Even to the OP, who is expending more effort that he might need to to use them.
Ok. Giving advice is one thing. Making multiple posts to push your opinion because others have a different opinion is another. Self-awareness indeed.
Old 03-13-22, 11:07 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Ok. Giving advice is one thing. Making multiple posts to push your opinion because others have a different opinion is another. Self-awareness indeed.
So, we have your opinion about how other people are not supposed to express their opinions. It doesn't get any more self-unaware than that.
Old 03-13-22, 11:49 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
So, we have your opinion about how other people are not supposed to express their opinions. It doesn't get any more self-unaware than that.
Guess you got me there! Nice work. Get to work on that horse next. The bat is resting right next to it.
Old 03-13-22, 12:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Even to the OP, who is expending more effort that he might need to to use them.
I find the phrase “expending more effort” on a forum where many people obsess over the smallest detail on their bikes and then pedal for thousands of miles quite ironic.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-13-22, 04:41 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's what happens when a person starts a thread looking for solutions to problems which don't exist.
I am not sure what solution you think I was looking for? I was just posting about the small little pliers I found cheap at Walmart and felt that others might use them or want them also. I just added why I wanted pliers for the stem lock nut. The failure I had on a non-threaded stem was that the rim cut into the rubber stem and it failed leaving me with no way to patch that tube while on a multi-day ride with minimal tools/supplies. I did have a back up tube, but always hope to patch first on a flat.

Last edited by themp; 03-13-22 at 04:46 PM.
Likes For themp:
Old 03-13-22, 04:45 PM
themp

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
With a schrader valve I can understand wanting to use the valve stem nut. Cliffordk suggested purple locktite. I would use that.

As for the pliers, I’m not a fan of those, especially cheap ones.

Over the years I’ve run across thin stamped steel open/closed box wrenches that are sometimes supplied on items where “some assembly is required.”

I’d measure the nut size and Google/amazon/eBay to find one that fits. Cut the length to fit your bag if you have to.

They are cheaply made but would probably work better than those pliers, and take up the same room as a metal tire lever.

John
The stem nut is round for the tubes I am using, so a box type wrench will not work. I need something to grab onto the round nut and this is what I found that was small and cheap. All I need is something to break the thread locker, once that happens you can usually use your fingers to remove it.
Likes For themp:
Old 03-13-22, 04:53 PM
themp

This applies to your replies as well but you lack the self-awareness to realize it.

Indicating that the nuts aren't necessary is useful information. Even to the OP, who is expending more effort that he might need to to use them.

Again, why go through using locktight on the nuts and having to carry pliers do deal with manufactured problem? If that doesn't make sense, why create a post that suggests that other people do the same thing?
I was only posting on small pliers that are easy to carry on a bicycle bag. I was not suggesting that other people use thread locker on the stem valve nut. I was just stating why I need the small pliers and what for. For me, I find that the thread metal valve stem with nut is much more substantial than a non-threaded valve stem. And for me the valve nut would loosen over time as I ride on a lot of gravel trails.
Likes For themp:
Old 03-13-22, 05:04 PM
themp

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I was trying to understand the pump and tube problem when there is no little nut. So, I went to the garage. Not a single one of my bikes has a threaded stem. I wonder how the tires get inflated before every ride.
The problem was that my rim cut the rubber valve stem when I attached the pump and then the tube failed. It was a tube that had many miles on it, and for me and my pump, the stem would flex as I attached the pump. I assume this flex is what cut the valve stem. I decided to move to a metal stem and nut as I ride multi-day trips that are quite isolated and remote. I feel more secure riding with a metal stem. You may say I am making a mountain out of mole hill, but that is your opinion. I wonder what the reason might be that tube manufacturers make a metal threaded valve stem with nut?
Likes For themp:
Old 03-13-22, 06:26 PM
Doug64

Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Yah Indyfabz, I think I know what your saying

Those little nuts come in handy for all sorts things.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-13-22 at 10:29 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-13-22, 06:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Lighten up. Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don’t. You know what I’m sayin’?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-22, 07:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
The problem was that my rim cut the rubber valve stem when I attached the pump and then the tube failed. It was a tube that had many miles on it, and for me and my pump, the stem would flex as I attached the pump. I assume this flex is what cut the valve stem. I decided to move to a metal stem and nut as I ride multi-day trips that are quite isolated and remote. I feel more secure riding with a metal stem. You may say I am making a mountain out of mole hill, but that is your opinion. I wonder what the reason might be that tube manufacturers make a metal threaded valve stem with nut?
For people that can't inflate their tires correctly.
Old 03-14-22, 01:18 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
For people that can't inflate their tires correctly.
If that’s the case, it is a fantastic engineering choice. Not everybody is an expert at everything… even those who think they are
Likes For imi:
Old 03-14-22, 06:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Me too,

Like I said, none of the bikes in my garage have a threaded valve stem and therefore, no nut. Maybe to control vibration? One of my rims makes a vibration with the stem and I put a little piece of electrical tape to make it quiet. Anyway, that is my best guess.
Old 03-14-22, 08:55 AM
njkayaker

I was only posting on small pliers that are easy to carry on a bicycle bag. I was not suggesting that other people use thread locker on the stem valve nut. I was just stating why I need the small pliers and what for. For me, I find that the thread metal valve stem with nut is much more substantial than a non-threaded valve stem. And for me the valve nut would loosen over time as I ride on a lot of gravel trails.
It wasn't "only" about pliers. The "why" was a significant part of your post. If you only wanted to talk about pliers, you could have not included the "why". You mentioned the loctite as causing a problem for you and didn't mention (at first) a reason for doing this quite unusual thing.

For most people (you might be the rare exception), the best course of action is to not use the nut in the first place.

People might actually find the suggestion of these pliers useful but, almost always, not to remove loctited tube nuts,

The tube can be cut on the edge of the hole (even with metal presta valves). (Why this edge can't be eased in manufacturing is a mystery.) The nut can pull the tube even tighter to this sharp edge and may even make it easier for the tube to be cut.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-14-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-14-22, 09:41 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Gotta love these “my opinion is right, your opinion is wrong” threads. Some people are just so…
Old 03-14-22, 10:45 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
If that’s the case, it is a fantastic engineering choice. Not everybody is an expert at everything… even those who think they are
Ouch, you really got me there.
Old 03-14-22, 01:11 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Ouch, you really got me there.
Just messing! It’s all good 👍
Likes For imi:
Old 03-14-22, 02:00 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Another great thread on presta and schrader valves!

So far tubeless set -ups are missing in this discussion. Valve nuts are currently essential parts of a tubeless system.

Pliers are good for cinching down leaky tubeless valve stems. That said, it is too easy to over torque them and destroy the seal I've done that.

There are Schrader tubeless set ups too. I have a bike set up with them.

Another aspect missing from this conversation are pump head types and pump styles and the effect nuts and valves have on them.

But what I want to bring up are the issues with removable valve cores. Both Schrader and Presta require special wrenches, tools, to remove and install them. I carry these in my repair kit. Pliers can be used on presta cores in an emergency. Finer needle nose pliers will work on Schrader valve cores.

Furthermore, it is possible to over-torque valve cores! That's not good. Some valve stems are made from soft aluminum, to save weight, and perhaps mostly for pretty anodized colors. The aluminum ones need to be treated with more care.

Someone else can go into the choice of stem length and the role that rim tape plays in the equation! There's a lot to go wrong there too.
Old 03-14-22, 02:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
But what I want to bring up are the issues with removable valve cores. Both Schrader and Presta require special wrenches, tools, to remove and install them. I carry these in my repair kit. Pliers can be used on presta cores in an emergency. Finer needle nose pliers will work on Schrader valve cores...
On my bikes, cars, trailers, etc. that have Schrader valves, I always have one tire set up with a metal valve cap that has a Schrader valve tool as part of it. I have had presta valve leaks on the road, but they were slow enough so I could top off the tire and get home. I've always just tightened them with a pliers, didn't know there is a special tool! I'll have to get it!

These Schrader valve caps I learned about when I was a teenager, I think they were common back then? Over the years have actually used them a few times, probably not enough to actually justify my OCD about having them though. If anyone is unfamiliar with them, they can be found in any autoparts, and most Wallmart type places.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-14-22 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-14-22, 02:21 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I always used the nuts until I bought a tube without a threded stem. If I had knew of BF then I could have started an awesome thread !! I decided not to use a nuts when I built up my Ti bike because I didn't want to scratch my uber sexy Dura Ace wheels !!
Old 03-14-22, 05:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
You can pry these nuts from my cold, dead hands.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-14-22, 06:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 03-19-22, 06:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
And yet another thread devolves into squabbling over something totally inconsequential. Time to put it to bed.

Old 03-19-22, 08:45 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by rsbob
And yet another thread devolves into squabbling over something totally inconsequential. Time to put it to bed.
It was in bed 5 days ago.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-20-22, 06:49 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
i carry a leatherman micra tool for the pliers, but this model only seems to be made with scissors now. i tighten stem nuts finger tight, but the pliers could be used to break the slip link on my chain, squish something , or as an emergency roach clip.
Likes For southpier:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.