Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Comments/suggestions wrt Banff > Yellowstone > Twin Falls:Pendleton > Seattle

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Comments/suggestions wrt Banff > Yellowstone > Twin Falls:Pendleton > Seattle

Old 03-25-22, 06:46 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Yeah, I hear you. Done it a few times. It varies.
If it is later in the summer and has been dry, then yes - it can be bad.
But they will be hitting it fairly early - may even be a bit coolish and wet.
One time when I rode it is was a sunny cool day - rained the day before.
It was almost like pavement and there was zero traffic.
YMMV.
When was that ? It has been pretty bad the last few years, much more traffic, and no improvements to the road. No plans to pave it.
Its been pretty dry lately but we are coming into the wettest part of the year, so maybe it will be okay.

An alternative if pavement is okay, would be Kananaskis Highway 40, which has a decent shoulder and is quite scenic.
Old 03-25-22, 11:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I was hesitant to make this comment, but you asked for comments. I know you have the experience and ability to ride more than 60km a day without any trouble, what about your wife and 11 year old daughter? Do they have any touring experience on long tours?

I am involved in teaching bike safety to 5th graders, who are in the 11 year old range. I have ridden with a lot of kids and have an idea of what they can handle. I've also ridden from Vancouver to Calgary, and from Calgary to Kalispell, MT; so I have some idea of your proposed route. There are some some challenging hills in the route. One especially challenging hill between Waterton and Glacier NP on the Chief Mountain Highway. IMO It is more difficult than the Going to the Sun road.

If this is your family's first tour, it should be enjoyable and fun. If it isn't enjoyable, it might be their last tour. A lot of folks do not think Type II fun is fun. Depending on their experience and riding abilities it may be a piece of cake or may be a real drag. If it is their first long tour, make it their tour.

My wife is a tough and experienced rider. From her position on the bike I can tell going up the Chief Mountain road was a challenge for both of us.

I hope that you have a great ride!

Last edited by Doug64; 03-25-22 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 05:27 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Doug64 thanks for your comment.

We've done two summer-long tours with our daughters and were often covering 90kms/day. I was carrying all the luggage, my wife trailed the little one (5 at the time) and the older one (12) had no luggage to weigh her down. My wife and I have also completed several 15-day trips, averaging 100kms/day. So.... we have some experience, and probably a mindset that is compatible. (We've often done things that were thought to be "impossible" by our friends, adventures that turned out to be "memorable")

WRT terrain, I am ambivalent. Our bikes have a 16" low end gear inch, and while a quick look at the itinerary suggests several long 3-5% climbs, that would be hard but perhaps not as difficult compared to the very steep hills (10%) that are common in the East. We'll make sure to carry plenty of Snickers...

​​​​​​The great unknown is "character". Zero doubt regarding my wife. We will discover our daughter's.
Old 03-26-22, 10:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
If you do end up doing Waterton to the states via Chief Mountain, make sure you look back occasionally. The second photo is looking back on the first hard climb of the day.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-26-22, 10:36 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Snickers are one of my favorites
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-26-22, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
And I still vote for the route I suggested between Hamilton and Darby, MT. Beats U.S. 93 by a lot.