Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gunnar - Modern Classic?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gunnar - Modern Classic?

Old 06-23-20, 10:55 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
OP, I am glad you found that "silver bullet" of a bike. That is one of the best things when it happens, and it happened to me after a number of different wheel/tire/component setups on my Davidson Impulse. And yes @upthywazzoo I am yet another contributer to this thread that is above 6'2"!

Modern classic will be hard to define for a while, I think. It will be C&V at some point, simply due to age and even perhaps aesthetic/architecture. Like many say, Gunnar's are very nice frames and yours is very well proportioned for a tall frame--this is something that seems very difficult to do by companies large and small...outside of Cannondale, of course. God bless them. I had a 62cm Trek Emonda ALR frameset (that I built up) and I thought that was well-proportioned.

Anyway, I like the black and many-shades-of-grey composition. Welded tubes may not have the visual pageantry of lugs, but I wouldn't want lugs on a bike with those angles and geometry. Leave that part of the past with its other friends, Horizontal Top Tube and Mostly-Horizontal Top Tube, IMO. Your Gunnar stands on its own just fine, and I like the component mix and setup.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-24-20, 09:16 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Modern Classic.

I have been waiting for a thread like this to pop up so I could post my '19Sport. I bought it last year by ordering from Shirk's bike shop in Lancaster County, but was able talk to Richard Schwinn about it.

Yes, I am in the 6'2" plus group. Probably the main reason I went with Gunnar is because they have made so many. Their stock geometry goes up to 68cm.

Old 06-29-20, 04:14 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Modern and excellent

Not classic. They are not exclusionary. I had the privilege to do a group ride yesterday, and was fullt expecting my Wraith to be the only steel bike there, old, new, or otherwise. A beautiful emerald Gunnar showed up with very similar lines. We more than held our own with the rest of the crowd, and enjoyed the ride. I have to admit the Gunnar was prettier than the battleship grey Wraith; the two bikes couldn't present a more different attitude, but the rides were not lacking in any way.