Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Silca floor pump chuck washer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 02:44 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The churcK is from an old Silca floor pump . I need the rubber washer in the inside that grasps the inner tube valve to put air in . Does anyone know where to find such a washer?
Old 10-24-20, 03:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'm pretty sure Silca's never came with that type of Schrader chuck. That type is usually found on various inexpensive floor pumps. I've never seen replacement parts for these since a new ones are cheap. You could try using an O-ring if you really want to save it.
Old 10-24-20, 04:43 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
These guys have Silca parts and chucks: More Pump Bits at Yellow Jersey
Old 10-24-20, 05:20 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Indeed, it's not a Silca chuck. Just google "schrader pump head" and you will find hundreds of possibilities. Oddly enough I've had extremely good luck with the simplest, old fashioned threaded chuck. You lose a bit of air threading it on and off, but Schrader valves tend to be found on bikes with wider tires inflatled to lower pressure, so losing a bit of air is insignificant. In addition, you can thread one of these onto a Presta-to-Schrader adapter and it works like a charm. That's what I've got on my old Silca pump that I got at St. Vinny's for 5 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTNJ2IZ
Old 10-24-20, 07:52 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
These guys have Silca parts and chucks: More Pump Bits at Yellow Jersey
Thank you i''l give them a call
Old 10-24-20, 08:29 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Indeed, it's not a Silca chuck. Just google "schrader pump head" and you will find hundreds of possibilities. Oddly enough I've had extremely good luck with the simplest, old fashioned threaded chuck. You lose a bit of air threading it on and off, but Schrader valves tend to be found on bikes with wider tires inflatled to lower pressure, so losing a bit of air is insignificant. In addition, you can thread one of these onto a Presta-to-Schrader adapter and it works like a charm. That's what I've got on my old Silca pump that I got at St. Vinny's for 5 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTNJ2IZ
This sound like a good solution . I also have an other problem although I have a schrader in place now , I will be use Presta valve a little latter and bought a Nice old brass Presta chuck and guess what, it doesn't fit the valve on the inner tube either! So right now nothing works! No combination of the anything. Can I make this chuck fit the sv 17's from schwalbe, some how ?

Old 10-25-20, 10:27 AM
Gresp15C

The Silca pump head might have a worn out gasket. They sell replacements. It should have a small enough inside diameter that you push the threaded part through it until you reach the smooth part.

The nice thing about Silca is that they still make new replacement parts.

https://silca.cc/collections/replacement-parts
Old 10-25-20, 06:06 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The Silca pump head might have a worn out gasket. They sell replacements. It should have a small enough inside diameter that you push the threaded part through it until you reach the smooth part.

The nice thing about Silca is that they still make new replacement parts.

https://silca.cc/collections/replacement-parts
these are all the parts that are present . the threads on the inside of the

end piece, is this to be threaded on to an adapter for a Schrader Valve ?
Old 10-25-20, 06:32 PM
Gresp15C

Man, you've got me. I have to admit that I have a different pump head, one that's reversible with Presta on one side and Schrader on the other, neither of which work very well. But I know that Silca pumps are a classic, so somebody must know.
Old 10-26-20, 04:52 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Yes that brass one you have is the Silca schrader chuck not presta
Old 10-26-20, 07:56 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Yes that brass one you have is the Silca schrader chuck not presta
thank you !
Old 10-31-20, 03:06 PM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
these are all the parts that are present . the threads on the inside of the
end piece, is this to be threaded on to an adapter for a Schrader Valve ?
The threads on the cap should thread onto a schrader valve, and the face of the rubber should seal against the face of the valve. The threads wouldn't come into play with a presta valve, being too large to engage.

While there is a longer reversible chuck, I believe your shorter chuck is reversible too. I think you have the 24.4 chuck - you can see it at the end of:

https://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/silcfloor.shtml

Their description doesn't quite match your pictures, so perhaps there's yet another variant in play, but I'm pretty sure they still all use the same gasket.

Can you fit the plastic piece in upside down? That is, will the depressor pin fit into the bore of the hose inlet? If so, I think that's all there is to converting it: the hollow backside of the plastic spacer provides room for the narrow tip of a presta valve to go into while the rubber should seal on the thicker portion of the valve. Your photos look like you've already been through this. If the gasket is worn out, you need a #323 gasket, available new from Silca.

https://silca.cc/products/silca-323-chuck-gasket

If you look at their pictures, you'll see a close cousin of your chuck there. Their new red gasket has a secondary lip on the back that's supposed to seal on the narrow part of the valve in addition to the original larger sealing surface. I haven't used the new rubber yet, so can't say how well it works.

The longer chuck switches more easily between presta and schrader: unthread the caps from both ends of the chuck body, flip the body over, and reassemble. With yours, only one end has the removable cap and extracting the rubber from that end can slow things down considerably if it's been assembled for a while and the rubber sticks inside its bore.

Last edited by luns; 10-31-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 06:07 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luns
The threads on the cap should thread onto a schrader valve, and the face of the rubber should seal against the face of the valve. The threads wouldn't come into play with a presta valve, being too large to engage.

While there is a longer reversible chuck, I believe your shorter chuck is reversible too. I think you have the 24.4 chuck - you can see it at the end of:

BikePro.com / Buyer's Guide / Silca Floor Pump - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro

Their description doesn't quite match your pictures, so perhaps there's yet another variant in play, but I'm pretty sure they still all use the same gasket.

Can you fit the plastic piece in upside down? That is, will the depressor pin fit into the bore of the hose inlet? If so, I think that's all there is to converting it: the hollow backside of the plastic spacer provides room for the narrow tip of a presta valve to go into while the rubber should seal on the thicker portion of the valve. Your photos look like you've already been through this. If the gasket is worn out, you need a #323 gasket, available new from Silca.

https://silca.cc/products/silca-323-chuck-gasket

If you look at their pictures, you'll see a close cousin of your chuck there. Their new red gasket has a secondary lip on the back that's supposed to seal on the narrow part of the valve in addition to the original larger sealing surface. I haven't used the new rubber yet, so can't say how well it works.

The longer chuck switches more easily between presta and schrader: unthread the caps from both ends of the chuck body, flip the body over, and reassemble. With yours, only one end has the removable cap and extracting the rubber from that end can slow things down considerably if it's been assembled for a while and the rubber sticks inside its bore.
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this . I finally think I understand it now . I tried it with my Schader valve stem and it worked pretty well but the washer is worn and was useless with the presta .