Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Time to diversify.

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Time to diversify.

Old 01-16-21, 10:54 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They have, and recumbents aren't the answer. End of story. Bottom line. The fat lady has sung. In the books. Time expired. Finito.
Have you ever ridden one over 100 miles, and not liked it.
Old 01-16-21, 11:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,253 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Have you ever ridden one over 100 miles, and not liked it.
No, I've never ridden a recumbent for more than 100 miles. But, I've ridden a road bike over 100 miles many, many times without any problems.

Despite your baseless arguments, the reason that traditional road bikes are much more popular has nothing to do with people being closed-minded. Recumbents have been around for more than a century. A century of cycling has shown that traditional road bikes are, for most people, the better option.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-21, 05:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
No, I've never ridden a recumbent for more than 100 miles.
I seriously doubt he has either.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-17-21, 04:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

No, I've never ridden a recumbent for more than 100 miles. But, I've ridden a road bike over 100 miles many, many times without any problems.

Despite your baseless arguments, the reason that traditional road bikes are much more popular has nothing to do with people being closed-minded. Recumbents have been around for more than a century. A century of cycling has shown that traditional road bikes are, for most people, the better option.
Remember in the early 30s when a level two professional rider was winning all the races he entered, at the behest of the bike mfg, recumbent bikes were outlawed by the stiff necked old fools at the UCI that probably took money under the table, and they were out of style for 50 years or so. Then if DF bikes are a "better option" as you say, why are there so many of us that think otherwise and ride bents?

I will leave you with this--------------------------as they say we get too soon old and too late smart. After some 60 years I for one got smart.
Old 01-17-21, 04:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-17-21, 05:07 PM
tomato coupe

After some 60 years I for one got smart.
No. You've just convinced yourself that something that works best for you (and a small fraction of cyclists) is the best choice for everyone. It's an old song, and everybody is tired of hearing it. Give it a rest.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-21, 06:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
DF? Double Friangle?
Diamond Frame. I prefer to use, "Upright" since it makes a nice counterpart to, "Recumbent." Besides, some sensitive individual might think DF stands for something objectionable.
Old 01-18-21, 11:01 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Diamond Frame. I prefer to use, "Upright" since it makes a nice counterpart to, "Recumbent." Besides, some sensitive individual might think DF stands for something objectionable.
Double fenetration?
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-18-21, 11:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

No. You've just convinced yourself that something that works best for you (and a small fraction of cyclists) is the best choice for everyone. It's an old song, and everybody is tired of hearing it. Give it a rest.
All well and good, but some day you too will get old and smart too, and realize that cycling means more than the right bike, the right kit, the right speed, the right cadence, the proper length of ride, and a proper goal when you ride. You will learn that no one is watching you or cares how you ride, or if you appear to be a proper cyclist. You will learn it is just fun and go out and ride your ride the way it feels good to you, and just enjoy the ride. Cycling can be fun.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-18-21, 11:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
But in some cases it just might be.
Old 01-18-21, 11:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

And the push back against bents is just as objectionable.
Old 01-18-21, 11:38 AM
tomato coupe

And the push back against bents is just as objectionable.
There's very little pushback against recumbents – there are just a lot of people who are tired of your constant proselytizing.

All well and good, but some day you too will get old and insufferable too ...
Fixed that typo for you ... you're welcome.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-18-21, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I took Prof. David Wilson's recumbent for a spin 1976. Knew right away that bike was the real deal; that had it been equipped with race gear and wheels, it would be fine ride. (Also caught up to him and rode with him several times. He as not slow. I was faster because I was a mid 20s in form racer and he was middle aged.) But that recumbent lacked on feature that I live for. The dance. (Out of the saddle climbing. My happy place.) Gotta solve that or I have to become unable to ride DFs for me to switch.

Oh, and ever since that ride I have known that a small front wheeled, short wheelbase under the knees steerer was it. I don't see a lot of those.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-18-21, 11:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

There's very little pushback against recumbents – there are just a lot of people who are tired of your constant proselytizing.

Fixed that typo for you ... you're welcome.
This thread was moved over here to the recumbent thread. I see that you followed it over here to continue your incessant snotty attacks.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-18-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 12:57 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It doesn't have to be an either/or thing. I bought a used recumbent two seasons ago and rode it exclusively for about 6 weeks @ 200-300 miles a week including a late season 400k. I like riding my recumbent a lot, but I still prefer my uprights for brevets because it's more fun to ride with other people who are on the same kind of bike. So last season I rode uprights pretty much exclusively until the Fall. I would ride my recumbent a lot more, but the muscles it uses are a lot different and I'm afraid it will make me slower on my uprights if I spend too much time on the recumbent early in the season.
Old 01-18-21, 01:21 PM
boilermaker1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Or something about the people that "live" in Chicago.
That depends on the neighborhood--Canaryville or Wrigleyville, big difference. And whether one is from Chicago or moved there.
Old 01-18-21, 04:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
This thread was moved over here to the recumbent thread. I see that you followed it over here to continue your incessant snotty attacks.
You should have posted it here in the first place. But you know that....
Old 01-18-21, 04:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Do you feel threatened by recumbent bikes and trikes?

Do you get angry when a high racer passes you when riding into the wind?

Bottom line sticking to an 1890 style of bike is kind of dumb. Time moves on. Dont be an old fud new and better things do get invented you know.
Old 01-18-21, 04:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You should have posted it here in the first place. But you know that....
But people over here have already learned to diversify.
Old 01-18-21, 05:22 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wonder what the crime rate is where the OP claims to live. IIRC, it was Lincoln, NE. But who knows what he’ll claim next?
I didn't notice that! I found another list of safest American cities while looking for the one I used. Chicago was like #2 or #3, and Lincoln was #46 or so. I was pretty surprised. :-)

People have a hard time with the concept of incidents per 100,000 vs just raw numbers. Our raw numbers are high, but our population is gigantic.
Old 01-18-21, 06:15 PM
tomato coupe

Do you feel threatened by recumbent bikes and trikes?

Do you get angry when a high racer passes you when riding into the wind?
Do you realize you have responded to the same post (#62) three times?

Bottom line sticking to an 1890 style of bike is kind of dumb. Time moves on. Dont be an old fud new and better things do get invented you know.
Hey, maybe we agree on something:

Old 01-18-21, 09:50 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It would seem that recumbent bikes would be the ideal solution for randonneuring. And in the last dozen years or so, I can think of 11 recumbent riders in the local randonneuring club, plus one or two I'm overlooking no doubt. Exactly zero of them are still doing randonneur rides on a regular basis. One of them might sometimes, but he's just as likely to be on road bike or velomobile. I think four of them are currently riding upright bikes rather than recumbents (more gravel/mountain than road bikes).
Old 01-19-21, 10:59 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by StephenH
It would seem that recumbent bikes would be the ideal solution for randonneuring. And in the last dozen years or so, I can think of 11 recumbent riders in the local randonneuring club, plus one or two I'm overlooking no doubt. Exactly zero of them are still doing randonneur rides on a regular basis. One of them might sometimes, but he's just as likely to be on road bike or velomobile. I think four of them are currently riding upright bikes rather than recumbents (more gravel/mountain than road bikes).
I hate riding on gravel. I was on the farm and had to ride gravel to school from the 3rd grade to the 10th grade. I got my fill of gravel. I might add that a fat tire trike would be quite safe on gravel.
Old 01-21-21, 01:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I might add that a fat tire trike would be quite safe on gravel.
A Fat Tire trike, unless e-assisted ($$$) is NOT something I would need to be convinced to avoid. Haven't you noticed you don't see any fat tire bikes anymore on the roads? You didn't stop to wonder why that was? And while I am here I might observe that the likelihood of buying anything bike, trike or bike/trike related is very, very low for at least another year! About all that is left is the stuff nobody wants (for good reason) or niche products like cargo bikes and unicycles and frightuflly expensive factory e-assist roadbikes. Being in evangelist mode right now comes off as a bit tone deaf to say the least.
Old 01-31-21, 09:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A Fat Tire trike, unless e-assisted ($$$) is NOT something I would need to be convinced to avoid. Haven't you noticed you don't see any fat tire bikes anymore on the roads? You didn't stop to wonder why that was? And while I am here I might observe that the likelihood of buying anything bike, trike or bike/trike related is very, very low for at least another year! About all that is left is the stuff nobody wants (for good reason) or niche products like cargo bikes and unicycles and frightuflly expensive factory e-assist roadbikes. Being in evangelist mode right now comes off as a bit tone deaf to say the least.
Actually quite often I see and hear fat tire bikes on the hard surface trails here in town. Personally I couldnt stand the noise to ride one on hard surface trails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.