Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brooks proofide?

Old 05-02-22, 08:03 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Brooks proofide?

So i just got a great deal on a used but really new B17. Owner said he took one ride and did not work for him. It looks as new as new can be. I bought a tin of Proofide and hit the top and bottom per Brooks' instructions. my question is I literally can not see any difference on the topside after rubbing it in and wiping it off. bottom of course soaked it it up. I am guessing the top side is normal not to really see any difference.
Old 05-02-22, 08:39 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
You won't see a difference
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-02-22, 09:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
my question is I literally can not see any difference on the topside after rubbing it in and wiping it off.
You had a question?

The top is hardened and the underside is more porous. One soaks up more and faster than the other.
Old 05-02-22, 09:23 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Go over the underside one more time then hit both sides about once a year from here on out. I do mine at the end of daylight savings.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-02-22, 09:32 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
So i just got a great deal on a used but really new B17. Owner said he took one ride and did not work for him. It looks as new as new can be. I bought a tin of Proofide and hit the top and bottom per Brooks' instructions. my question is I literally can not see any difference on the topside after rubbing it in and wiping it off. bottom of course soaked it it up. I am guessing the top side is normal not to really see any difference.
What difference where you expecting to see? Unless the leather was dried out or somehow otherwise under duress, leather won't change due to applying something like Proofide.
Old 05-03-22, 07:38 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Just follow the recommendations on the Brooks website. As for the previous owner not liking the B17 after one ride…..what was he expecting? All saddles and butts need multiple rides and miles to conform to each other. Sounds like you got a good deal.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 05-03-22, 12:57 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Just follow the recommendations on the Brooks website. As for the previous owner not liking the B17 after one ride…..what was he expecting? All saddles and butts need multiple rides and miles to conform to each other. Sounds like you got a good deal.
yup that is what I did. $80 and I hope I can find another one at that price for my other bike.