Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 goals

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 06:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
New goal: Break 22min in a 10 miler.

I've repaired the bike, needs some sanding/paint. Soon as that's done I'll make a few training ride stabs at pace to see if I'm in the ballpark at all. It'll have to be on my personal Strava loop, and on a very low wind day. One-direction I could do it as there's a road around here that's 10 miles non-stop and usually cross wind.........but that's not fair.

Group ride goal: try out the fastest area group ride
I've no racing left. They cancelled the gravel race for now. Starting out at the bottom again chasing wheels.

I'm routinely pulling gaps on my pulls. I also always drop the group in the last couple miles when there's a hill. It'll suck, but being low-man on the totem pole would be good for the skills and ego.
Old 09-28-18, 05:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I had 4 goals for 2018. I hit one of them. Win a race. I did not hit my weight goal, my power goal or getting my cat2 upgrade.

Next year!
Old 10-03-18, 09:11 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Goals

1. Stay healthy
2. Have fun
3. Learn to ride with teammates and have fun with team tactics (I joined a new team, most of my prior races I did not have teammates) - be a good teammate
4. Podium at least once in the B crit (3/4)
5. Mentor my friend/teammate who is new to racing to a win in the C crit
6. Be a source of constant irritation
1. achieved. Never crashed. Stayed healthy.
2. achieved. had fun.
3. achieved. Really enjoyed team tactics and racing with a team. Became I think a respected rider on the team.
4. achieved.
5. achieved. my friend was a bit of a phenom cat 4. He won both the C and B crits.
6. achieved. and then some.
Old 10-04-18, 01:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Crashed out of my main goal series (velotooler) while in the leader's jersey (surgery). Missed the start of my second goal series (Northeast hill climbs), but then in my first race back flatted out of my local adirondack climb which is typically a reasonably solid win for me. Got sick for Mt Washington, which was my A race for the year, and then spent the last 6 or more weeks with medical tests making sure that there wasn't some more serious underlying issue (there wasn't). Spring surgery led me to give up mass start racing so I started time trialling. But then stopped (flat) time trialling because I was bringing out a host of other body issues. In the end I raced 1/3 of the races I typically do, and my win ratio slid below the 25-33% I was looking for and is typical of my last decade or so of racing. Haven't really had a bad spell since crash/surgery in 2012 so I guess it's par for the course. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited by gsteinb; 10-04-18 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 01:41 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Haven't posted here for a long time, so I didn't post any 2018 goals here.
But trust me that these were my goals:
1.Race at least 15 races this year - achieved
2.Win a race - achieved (although a small, weeknight Masters 50+ race)
3.Be a factor in weeknight race series P123 field - only partly achieved. Yes I could jump into early break attempts or help chase down breaks without my team in them, but I wasn't really ever a factor in the finish.
4.Try some CX racing - achieved. Ok, this wasn't a goal -I didn't think I'd be doing bike races where part of the time instead of riding on my bike, my bike is riding on me. But, I'm having fun.
Old 10-04-18, 07:53 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arai_speed
  1. Podium
  2. Complete a RR
  3. Complete a Stage Race
  4. Podium
1) Not yet...got a 5th (in a MTB race)
2) Check. 2 of them, got dropped in both.
3) Nope...schedule conflict
4) SoCal has year round racing and I still have a few events left
Old 10-05-18, 08:32 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
My goals last year were to win the State TT (which I did) and podium at the NoCal and Washington State TTs. Missed Washington for a sick dog who later died and missed NoCal because of a late date change.

Otherwise I didn’t set specific goals- raced a lot of local 20 and 40k TTs to prepare for States, worked on aeroness with coach and fitter, rode my mtb a lot and got way better with that. It was an ok year, ups and downs with variable enjoyment of racing and the associated scene. I guess par for the course.
Old 10-11-18, 07:42 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 Goals for me were very meager. I hadn't ridden much, trained at all, or raced at all since 2015, and knew that we were relocating to a new area mid summer so:

1 - train consistently
2 - race the races near my house in MD as part of a "farewell" tour
3 - show up in OH with some respectable semblance of fitness

As it turns out, selling and buying a house, having my wife work in OH while the kids and I lived in MD, then moving, working, and starting a new office in a new location while having kids get older and participate in more of their own activities occupies a lot of time :-)! So, I would rate each of my goals as a pass on the pass fail scale, but only slightly.

Given the winter weather in NE OH, I think I'll need to figure out what zwift is to get back in the groove for 2019.
Old 10-11-18, 10:59 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
@MDcatV, come join me and others on Zwift! too bad your pack manuvering nous won't be rewarded in this stupid game, but it does make passing the time a lot easier on the trainer
Old 10-16-18, 11:45 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had a respectable season in hindsight. Pretty limited by family and time to the races I could attend, but had podiums in some p12 races, podiums in some 35s races, won a weak 35s RR (but you can only beat the guys who show up) and dominated the same stage race.

I'm breaking up with @mattm though. The team he's put together is stacked. They don't need me and I don't need the stress of trying to race as often as that team deserves.
Old 10-16-18, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I didn't participate in this year's thread, but I should have because I finally won a race. Yay me.
Old 10-16-18, 02:04 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I'm breaking up with @mattm though. The team he's put together is stacked. They don't need me and I don't need the stress of trying to race as often as that team deserves.
You can join my team. We have about three guys who race, sometimes.
Old 10-16-18, 06:57 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
You can join my team. We've got..
Old 10-18-18, 05:27 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I will either not race, or race a handful of times with old guys. I've been on just about every team at this point. The problem is from within.
Old 10-18-18, 06:53 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Downgrade to a 5 and start over?

Haven't dug into 2018 goals beyond "enjoy racing".
Did a gravel ride/race, so it was kinda like being a 5 again. Enjoyed it, too.

Road racing was meh, a few top 10s in 35+ or P12 races. Otherwise, just a helper and pack fill. Best race result was sneaking into the 35+123 Golden State break and having nothing left in the finish for 7th. Quite a few stars/bars and a set of world stripes in the break, so I'm fine with getting my face stomped there.
Old 10-20-18, 07:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Next year will likely be more frustrating from a power standpoint. I feel like getting from 200w to 300w in 18 months is going to be the “heydays”.

Getting into the “300’s” and out of the “200’s” felt great.

320w for 20min in 2019 will probably be about it on my time input. That’d be about 4.6.

I’m not sure how that equates to others. On a gross average of 5 hours a week. I mean, plenty of weeks of 3 hours and some of 7 to 8.

In other words, holding out a little hope that maybe the genes are good and will help me out.
Old 10-20-18, 05:34 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Could have sworn I posted here earlier this year. 2018 goals were to do well at a big race and to get my cat 2 upgrade, got both pretty early and then just tried to help teammates and/or messed around the rest of the season.

2019 I'd like to do well at a cat 2 stage race (not sure if we're doing Chico or VoS this year), and podium a P12 race.
Old 10-21-18, 06:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Congrats on the win at VoS @wktmeow, riding and winning that as a team (with you) was the highlight of the year for me.
Old 10-21-18, 07:42 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

Racing Goals

Cat 3

Win a race+

10+ Races

Non Racing Goals

Commute at least once a week

152 lbs (68kg) currently at 164 (78kg) (Actual, 142)

4.3 w/kg for 20m (Barely)

20m PR up 20 watts

1m PR up 75 watts

5s PR up 75 watts

Racing wise, I didn't have the season I wanted. 2 crashes, a death in the family and a crazy work schedule kept me from many races.

Despite the bad racing numbers I'm pretty happy with the year, lost 46 pounds and got a podium. Also, the amount of praise I've gotten from locals feels really good; in group rides I went from a guy that was dead last often times to someone finishing in the first group or pulling the second group towards the first.
Old 10-22-18, 03:14 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
...winning that as a team (with you) was the highlight of the year for me.
It's a memory I'll cherish for years to come. From crashing myself out the day before the TT, to ****ting bricks during dinner after the road race while waiting for the results to come in on the time gap for the break, and being able to throw my hands up at the end of the crit after crossing the line knowing we secured it. Good times. Wish they gave out 5 jerseys instead of one! The difference between 2017 and 2018 is interesting too, one big result vs several minor ones. I think I prefer the big one. The low pressure to get results for the rest of the season was a nice break

We gotta get you up to cat 2 now, though! Come out to the group rides, let's practice some lead-outs. Post them goals, too!

Should we start a new 2019 thread?
Old 10-22-18, 03:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
I think it might be time pretty soon. Here's to sending it in 2019!!!!
Old 10-23-18, 11:13 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
It's a memory I'll cherish for years to come. From crashing myself out the day before the TT, to ****ting bricks during dinner after the road race while waiting for the results to come in on the time gap for the break, and being able to throw my hands up at the end of the crit after crossing the line knowing we secured it. Good times. Wish they gave out 5 jerseys instead of one! The difference between 2017 and 2018 is interesting too, one big result vs several minor ones. I think I prefer the big one. The low pressure to get results for the rest of the season was a nice break

We gotta get you up to cat 2 now, though! Come out to the group rides, let's practice some lead-outs. Post them goals, too!

Should we start a new 2019 thread?
Are you qualified / certified / member at SD Velodrome? There are a lot of interesting drills that you and @TMonk can do and I could join you as well. There is a fun sprint drill called a Russian. In this drill, three riders roll at the rail. They set up a team flying 200 meters. In this drill, after 100 meters, the 2nd rider pulls up creating a gap and the 3rd rider accelerates into the gap and pulls around the lead rider to take the sprint, The positions are changed for each effort giving each rider an opportunity to shoot the gap.

For endurance, there is an hour of power where you take the lead and tmonk and I use you as a motor and exchange off your wheel every lap. Or we all exchange every lap. And hour of power fixed gear at the track is a hard workout. And there are other endurance drills that can add different aspects to the workout.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-23-18 at 11:31 AM.