Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 04-13-21, 06:29 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

At the beginning of last year I was 130kg or 287 lb. Last year I lost 15 kg or 33 lb. Now I have lost a total of 21 kg or 46 lb, and weigh 109 kg or 240 lb.

At the beginning of last year, I might cycle 10 km in a day, and that was challenging. I would walk with the bike up some hills. As I lost weight, I cycled further. I got to the point where I can cycle 60 to 80 km in a day. I now cycle up hills I used to walk up, sometimes in a high gear.

I would like to encourage other fat challenged people to also lose weight. Here is my approach. Others might take a different approach. I am not suggesting anyone has to do exactly what I do.

The key is to be consistent. If you diet for a while, then quit, don't expect to lose weight and keep it off. You need a good diet on a permanent basis.

I avoid fats. You can't lose fat while consuming significant amounts of fat. I avoid, meat, dairy, fried foods and bread. I avoid manufactured and processed foods. I eat fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.

I suggest, anyone starting this, don't eat anything after lunch. Do this for at least a few months until you get used to it.

Then only eat breakfast. Do this for months until you get used to it.

Then if you really want rapid weight loss, only eat breakfast every second day.

I suggest not eating less than that without medical supervision. If you get too extreme, things could go wrong.

When consuming low calories, like this, I sometimes only have enough energy to cycle 20 km in a day. After I have lost more weight, I can increase my calories and cycle further in a day.

I drink a lot of liquids while cycling. Some water, and some healthier type drinks with calories.

I believe I am adding years to my life, and reducing my chance of diabetes and high blood pressure. I would like to encourage others to do the same.
Old 04-13-21, 06:46 AM
alo

A benefit of losing fat, is recovery time. After a long ride, I used to only have enough energy for short rides for the next couple of days. After losing fat, I have sometimes been for long rides day after day.

Another benefit is being able to ride up hills, even at the end of the day.
Old 04-13-21, 07:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Ive always been in amazement and bewonderment when I read about people who successfully fast for half the day or almost all the day. Its definitely a power I have never held.

Between Nov of '19 and July of '20 I lost 30# and have kept it off. I still eat junk food, but less of it. I burn more calories than I consume and religiously track caloric intake along with estimated caloric output. After 18 months, I know what I need to maintain or to slowly and steadily lose.
Working from home during Covid has been an absolute win for me when it comes to health. Less fast food and less vending machine snacks. 98% of our meals are made at home and are significantly more nutritious.

Strict caloric tracking is time consuming when done reliably, but its what has worked for me.

Weight loss and weight maintenance are fascinating to me. What works for one person is seemingly impossible for another to even try, yet both can arrive at the same final destination by taking different routes.
Old 04-13-21, 08:28 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
New here. Never thought I'd be responding to a weight-loss post in a bike forum...

I did Intermittent (not interval) Fasting: eat lunch at noon and dinner/snacks but nothing else after 8pm; then lunch at noon again; basically skipping breakfast. Cheated a few times but kept it up for a year. Lost around 20 lbs. This 'diet' absolutely works and is something you can actually modify to do for a lifetime.

Then, I started to work out at the gym and used a trainer for about a year and lost another 10 lbs.

Lastly, I started cycling and running since Covid began in March 2020 and have since lost another 10 lbs. I keep the weight down because I avoid all sugar drinks (soda and juices) and have greatly reduced my intake of cakes, cookies, and sweets. I also consistently run, cycle, and go to the gym. I now do not worry about what I eat although I still eat healthy. I am 52 and look decades younger and have more energy than most people.

The key is consistency and motivation to change my life style - you cannot go back to eating whatever you want and not exercising.

Cycling, as the OP has mentioned can help with weight loss but more importantly, having fun exercising.

Cheers!

Last edited by cj3209; 04-13-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Having once lost 90 lbs in 9 months, I would not consider do anything close to what you do.
Old 04-13-21, 08:51 AM
cj3209

- deleted

Last edited by cj3209; 04-13-21 at 09:14 AM. Reason: misunderstood previous post
Old 04-13-21, 08:56 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having once lost 90 lbs in 9 months, I would not consider do anything close to what you do.
Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-13-21, 09:15 AM
cj3209

"Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes."

Agreed. Although Intermittent Fasting does work and is relatively safe as you are basically only skipping breakfast.

Cheers!

Last edited by cj3209; 04-13-21 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For cj3209:
Old 04-13-21, 09:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by cj3209
"Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes."

Agreed. Although Interval Fasting does work and is relatively safe as you are basically only skipping breakfast.

Cheers!
I suggest, anyone starting this, don't eat anything after lunch. Do this for at least a few months until you get used to it.

Then only eat breakfast. Do this for months until you get used to it.

Then if you really want rapid weight loss, only eat breakfast every second day.
Sorry if I'm misreading this, but eating one meal every other day for any period of time goes well beyond intermittent fasting.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-13-21, 12:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Sorry if I'm misreading this, but eating one meal every other day for any period of time goes well beyond intermittent fasting.
I read the OP as saying eat lunch each day and to dropna lot of weight, eat breakfast every other day.

It's a captain obvious sort of approach-fewer calories in than out. It also seems like an approach that isnt sustainable.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-13-21, 01:25 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The one response that made a lot of sense to me has been deleted. It suggested having a good estimate of your caloric requirements and monitoring your caloric intake. If you balance those two out you will not gain or lose weight. I realized I was just below entering the realm of obesity last year in March so found an equation that allows you to calculate how many calories you should be eating. It takes into account activity level. Then I monitored how many calories I was eating and my activity level, No missed meals but no mindlessly eating between meals either. I lost 38 pounds (17.3Kg) in about 9 months. I eat a lot more vegetables than before and carefully portion out any desserts or other high calorie foods, Never was one for fast food or sodas so that isn't a problem. My GP did an annual physical recently and noticed my overall health has improved. So far, after reaching my desired weight, I haven't added any weight but continue to calculate the calories in my food so that doesn't happen.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 04-13-21, 01:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
That seems to be what it says. I can't imagine it would be a sustainable plan for very many people.
Old 04-13-21, 01:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I read the OP as saying eat lunch each day and to dropna lot of weight, eat breakfast every other day.

It's a captain obvious sort of approach-fewer calories in than out. It also seems like an approach that isnt sustainable.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That seems to be what it says. I can't imagine it would be a sustainable plan for very many people.
It's a perfect recipe for losing lean body mass. That's slow.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-13-21, 02:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Once again demonstrating that cycling is a great part of a well-rounded eating disorder.

I know people that weigh a lot more than what they want to weigh also desire reasonably quick results. The issue is that you can only lose about 5 pounds a week and keep your gall bladder. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week and then I'll have starved myself to death in 2 years. It can seem unbearably slow, I'm pretty happy if I lose 5 pounds in a month. Certainly slower than what it took to gain the 25 pounds I want to get rid of right now. The trick is to stop eating the food you don't need to eat. Which is easier said than done if you are also cycling.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-13-21, 02:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
much easier to sustain a long term - lifestyle changed diet when you are living alone. Add in another person, then it's a mental battle of passive aggression & cabinet sabotage.
Old 04-13-21, 02:17 PM
cj3209

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Once again demonstrating that cycling is a great part of a well-rounded eating disorder...
I know you are trying to bring levity but obesity is a serious problem in our country with a 42% obesity rate. If you cannot control what you eat, if you, at least, cycle (or walk) on a regular basis, it will help reduce potential health issues.

I responded to the original poster to let people know that it is possible to lose weight gradually and safely and that cycling can be an important part of your efforts.

Cheers.
Old 04-13-21, 02:29 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I am still in the process of losing another 10-15 lbs after losing 50lbs+ over a five year period from 260lbs.
Half the battle is re-learning healthy eating habits that a kale-sprouts salad with lean fish protein is infinitely better than a 24 oz medium rare ribeye, huge baked potato with sour cream and a large piece of apple pie with two scoops of ice cream. I have finally arrived to the point that I do not enjoy the experience of stuffing myself.

Cycling and hiking is my primary physical activity. I do not skip meals but will sub an apple or other fruit for a meal mid-day.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-13-21, 02:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
The issue is that you can only lose about 5 pounds a week and keep your gall bladder.
How much does a gall bladder weigh? Just askin’ ...

Last edited by tomato coupe; 04-13-21 at 08:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-13-21, 04:05 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Weight loss

I've gone from ~225+ to 184 in two years while still eating 3 meals a day.

A couple of things helped along the weigh (pun intended).

1. As a lethargic and uncontrolled Type II diabetic, Trulicity really got the ball rolling.
It got me in-control and began the first 8 months of weight loss.
The drug is also an appetite suppressant, leading to better habits.

2. From 9 months onward, cycling kept the weight loss moving.
But don't be fooled by inaccurate/bloated calorie estimates from any of the exercise/pulse rate monitors.

3. A Power Meter gave me accurate reading of my power output. Because the efficiency of the average Human is known, apps can then more accurately calculate my calorie expenditure from cycling.
Mix this known expenditure with calorie counting of foods consumed and you get a good picture of where you are regarding daily calorie intake.
Personally I like the MyFitnessPal app. It imports exercise directly from Strava and Scans the bar codes on foods to make calorie counting easier. I'm sure there are many more apps, but I like this one & it's free.

BTW - I found Trulicity to be a fantastic drug for lethargic me. But as 6-7 days a week cyclist me, it apparently robbed my of all my Glycogen and stopped me getting faster for months..
With my Endocrinologist's blessing I stopped taking it. My power output watts for a given heart rate, increased 40% in 5 weeks.
Your mileage may vary. Beware... Then came a whole new can-of-worms, controlling my blood glucose levels without it. I'm still working on that one.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-13-21, 04:58 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Alo,

1) How would you have responded to your post, if it had come from someone else?

2) Is this a deprivation diet for you?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-21, 05:42 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
alo congratulations on achieving your weight loss goal. I weighed 225 pounds and lost 50 pounds over a period of 3 years. Losing 50 pounds improved my cycling abilities and enjoyment of riding. Prior to losing the weight I was uncomfortable riding my road bike with my hands in the drops of the drop down handlebars. With a small belly I can now ride comfortably in the drops for my whole ride. Weighing less has increased my average speed and allowed me to better tackle hills especially on my mountain bike.

I love food and I always tended to eat oversize portions and second servings and I often enjoyed a lot of high carb and high fat food. My doctor told me I was nearly considered obese and said I was starting to get high blood pressure and my cholesterol was too high. I was given the choice of taking blood pressure and cholesterol medicines or losing weight. I did not want to take medicine.

I decided it was time to take control of and improve my health. I made lifestyle changes rather than going on a traditional diet. I went on the basis that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I base my diet on 3 areas: quantity, quality and velocity. I do this with a few simple rules. As far as quantity I only allow a proper amount of food and no second servings because at the end of the day it's all about calories eaten versus burned. For quality I eat a diet high in fiber with lots of fruit and vegetables, and lean meat mostly chicken and fish. As for velocity I try to eat more slowly and enjoy every bite of the food. When I was losing weight I restricted intake of bread, pasta and fried foods which are some of my favorite foods. Now I have a little of these on occasion in my diet but I normally go for the healthy option 99% of the time and I have kept the weight off for 3 years since I lost it.

For exercise I now do 20 to 30 minutes of stretching, calisthenics, yoga every morning which allows me to hop on my bike any time and be ready to ride.

My doctor is seriously impressed with the results as my cholesterol and blood pressure are fine and I achieved it without medicine.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 04-13-21, 06:07 PM
alo

Originally Posted by philbob57
Is this a deprivation diet for you?
It is an attempt to lose weight rapidly.

When I get my body fat down to a decent level, I plan to have a balanced healthy diet.
Old 04-13-21, 06:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

I avoid fats. You can't lose fat while consuming significant amounts of fat. I avoid, meat, dairy, fried foods and bread. I avoid manufactured and processed foods. I eat fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.

That (plus yogurt and cheese; both of which I stopped in recent years) was my diet as a full on bike racer. 350 miles/week, 45 miles before breakfast most days. Now I was light; still am. I ate like a horse. But that diet worked really, really well! I am back to it now as a late 60 yo. Tweaked to feature the omega 3s which weren't in the conversation back then. (I do now eat small amounts of fatty/omega 3 fish regularly.)

Oh, back then I also stayed away from white powders. The illicit, sucrose aka white sugar, white flour (especially bleached) and salt. Didn't have a way of measuring salt intake but I think it was around 1000 mg/day. In this country, very low. My sweat wasn't salty and did not sting in my eyes. (Racing benefit - I didn't excrete significant amounts of sodium on really hot days. I liked those races because the competition got slower! Still had to address potassium with those banana pills or ERG sport drink; now called Vitalyte).

Another plus of these diets. They don't induce cravings. So reducing intake (say because I have to spend some time off the bike) isn't hard. Yes I have to re-calibrate my appetite, but I don't see sugar withdrawal and the like/
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-13-21, 06:47 PM
alo

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That (plus yogurt and cheese; both of which I stopped in recent years) was my diet as a full on bike racer. 350 miles/week, 45 miles before breakfast most days.
I include yogurt and cheese in dairy. They will put fat back on your body.
Old 04-13-21, 06:52 PM
alo

you can only lose about 5 pounds a week and keep your gall bladder.
I have found the maximum I can lose is about 2 kg a week. If you reduce calories, you have less energy, so you exercise less and rest more, and don't lose more weight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.