Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedestrians are Strange

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedestrians are Strange

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 08:51 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I ride in Southern California and have the same issues. Here in east county(Santa Paula), the roads are so bad that the bike lanes are not rideable with a road bike. They are so bad that I have to true my wheels about every other ride to keep them in good shape if I am forced into the bike lane by an aggressive driver. The holes in the asphalt are dangerous but the runners , still convinced that asphalt is better, run in the bike lanes and they can have them. Most are fairly considerate but we tend to remember the jerks who just want to jerk your chain. I stopped riding MUP's because every time there would be at least one or two groups of people with baby strollers or children trying to learn how to skate taking up the whole path even when Ventura went to the trouble of putting up signs and painted lines separating bikes from pedestrians (worthless) .I have had very near misses coming around a blind corner at 12mph and encountering the "infinity leashes" stretched across the path so I will take my chances on the road , the frustrations are far less. It is a fairly densely populated area and every one wants their space. For me , the ride far out weighs the frustration.
Old 05-14-21, 09:00 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This happens a lot riding south along E Green Lake Way in Seattle. I don't really care. The runner usually hops out of the bike lane back onto the grass as I approach, but I still usually take the road lane and give him room to continue his course if he chooses.
WOW!! I was born in Seattle and my God parents lived by Green Lake. I would spend some time staying with them and used to think it was heaven. This was in the late 1950's , before my family relocated to Southern California. It used to be a beautiful area if memory serves me well, very hilly , again if memory serves me.
Old 05-14-21, 09:09 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by OPC
[[b]emphasis mine] This reminds me of some very peculiar courtesy from some runners in the bike lane I've encountered who have actually moved over into the traffic lane to make space for me and my wife. Some have even ventured into the second traffic lane (two traffic lanes each direction plus bike lane). There's a nice sidewalk available, but I guess the asphalt is really that much nicer. <shrug>
I have actually had that happen to me before. It baffled me and I didn't know if I should be gracious that they are that dedicated to getting out of my way, or alarmed at the risk they're taking.

I will say that I also don't expect them to hop up onto the curb. I have seen runners slip and trip pulling that maneuver, and at least once the guy had to take a seat and assess his ankle. Just moving over near the curb is fine.
Old 05-14-21, 09:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This falls in the category "minor annoying things" also known as "that's bike riding". Most runners are nice enough here to move out of the bike lane if they see me coming. I have no problem moving out of lane if they don't.

The pedestrians that step off the curb right in front of me without looking are a different story.
Old 05-14-21, 09:21 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
i screwed up the other day....
i'm cycling on a dirt road, very low automobile traffic. a runner going in my direction is on the left side of the road, going against traffic like foot travelers are supposed to do.
another runner coming toward me on my side of the road, like runners are supposed to do.
i drift to out for the runner coming at me. he moves out into the road, kind of lined up with me. OK - it's dirt road, need to avoid stuff, i understand.
i move further out. he moves further out. - what? we're all get closer to converging at the same point.
so i move further out - 'cause no car traffic. he moves further out - what the heck.
now i'm about to make a close pass to the runner who can't see me. which is end up what's happening - i'm like practically weaving between the two runners.
after i pass them I am speculating they knew each other - i guess.

i should have just stuck to the right side of the road instead of trying to obey the law - where pedestrian traffic goes against wheeled traffic.
so - yep - pedestrians are strange. so maybe it's not accurate that: "everyone is normal until you get to know them"
Old 05-14-21, 10:57 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by mrv
i screwed up the other day....
i'm cycling on a dirt road, very low automobile traffic. a runner going in my direction is on the left side of the road, going against traffic like foot travelers are supposed to do.
another runner coming toward me on my side of the road, like runners are supposed to do.
i drift to out for the runner coming at me. he moves out into the road, kind of lined up with me. OK - it's dirt road, need to avoid stuff, i understand.
i move further out. he moves further out. - what? we're all get closer to converging at the same point.
so i move further out - 'cause no car traffic. he moves further out - what the heck.
now i'm about to make a close pass to the runner who can't see me. which is end up what's happening - i'm like practically weaving between the two runners.
after i pass them I am speculating they knew each other - i guess.

i should have just stuck to the right side of the road instead of trying to obey the law - where pedestrian traffic goes against wheeled traffic.
so - yep - pedestrians are strange. so maybe it's not accurate that: "everyone is normal until you get to know them"
I would argue that, after the second move inward, you slow or even stop. Drivers and cyclists alike often forget that their vehicle is equipped with an amazing device to help avoid collisions... called brakes. I'm just as guilty as the next person for having the mentality that I must keep moving forward, but it honestly doesn't hurt to slow down or stop for a second or two.

Edit: And thinking back quite a few years, I had a similar incident. The local HS track team was training on the MUP I was on. They were diligently running on the far edge of their lane. I saw plenty of room between a runner going my way and two runners going the other way (single file). There was plenty of space between them... until the guy going my way decided to flip a sudden U and join his teammates just as I was about to pass. I had just enough time to shout STAY! and he had the reflexes to stop dead in his tracks, but (1) he should have looked before changing direction and lane, and (2) I should have called my pass and/or slowed down.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-14-21 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 05-14-21, 10:57 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Like I said, the sidewalk in this case is wide, smooth, and really nice. No excuse for the runners to be in the BIKE LANE.
My experience training for a marathon - and now training for a Half-Ironman ... asphalt is more forgiving on the legs (up to 7 times softer) so after about 1.5 hrs of running - asphalt definitely makes a big difference. I have a running friend that falls at least twice a year running on the sidewalk as she trips on the cracks.

Where I run - sidewalks are not common - as it is up to the developer to install them - not the city/county
Likes For masonv45:
Old 05-14-21, 11:19 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I would argue that, after the second move inward, you slow or even stop. Drivers and cyclists alike often forget that their vehicle is equipped with an amazing device to help avoid collisions... called brakes. .
- HA! TRUE THAT!
"People driving cars" frequently treat me like they have no idea what I'm going to do (based on strange behavior from the "people of bikes" they have seen).
So I will occasionally - if I feel I'm safer off - just stopping, putting a foot down, looking at the sky and getting a drink out my water bottle - so the "person driving a car" will proceed legally where I would be breaking the law if I followed them waving me on.

totally agree - sometimes with other people's strange behavior, stopping in a safe & clear spot is the better thing to do.
Always makes me think of Qui Gon waiting for the barrier to lift while Darth Maul paces......

chil-ax, my BroBad
Likes For mrv:
Old 05-14-21, 01:09 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
So it appears that most cyclists don't actually enjoy the act of riding their bikes that much. I mean I see complaints about cars, pedestrians, dogs, runners, roadies, e-bikes, parked cars, no lines, no "protected" path ad infinitum. And what's with the pictures? There's a local group of bike commuters who post pictures of cars parked in a bike lanes. I get it....they're not "supposed" to be there but it wouldn't be better if you just turned your ******g handlebars? You can't just ride around things?

Everyone is my enemy when I'm on the bike? And vice versa?

Damn y'all are some worked up Karens that's for sure.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-14-21, 01:17 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
So last night, I was riding on my usual course. Someone asked where I ride that a runner in the bike lane can make it difficult with traffic behind me. So last night, I caught this image on my ride. I am riding by a college and business district of LaVerne. Locals will back me up on this. There can be a ton of runners, walkers on the streets here. LaVerne and Claremont colleges. Now if a runner is in the bike lane coming at me in this situation, it could be very deadly for me as I am doing the correct thing to do, go with traffic and stay in the clean bike lane. If a runner is in the bike lane running at me in this situation, when there is a sidewalk just a few feet away, I don't feel I have to be nice with my gestures or comments as the runner in this situation could get me killed.

There was no runner coming at me, just to show the situations that can arise.

I have had runners in the past do this to me and I am not nice about it when they risk my life running the opposite way and not considerate enough to stop for 3 seconds so I can pass.

But funny enough, as it should be, last night I was heading down a dark street. Next to a park. 2 runners heading at me without lights or reflectors. One of them in the bike lane but I could see them with my lights. NO TRAFFIC AROUND AT ALL! As I approached, the guy in the bike lane jumped up on the curb so that we could pass one another safely. THAT is the way it is supposed to be. You have the good guys who do what keeps us all safe and the clowns who get obnoxious and think they own the bike lane heading in the opposite direction. I have had jerk faces stay in the middle of my bike lane while traffic is passing from behind (similar to my image above). Can't even more their jerk faces over a foot or two?

So did say, "how's it going guys?" to the guys last night in a friendly tone because I appreciate the good guys!
I don't see anyone
Old 05-14-21, 01:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
It's not just a matter of how smooth it is. Apparently asphalt is softer to the impact, enough that it makes a difference to the knees.
The freeway was just repaved. Very smooth & soft. I bet that very open area would be just super to run on, especially around 5pm during the week. It's 70 mph, so you really are limitless for achieving some top speeds in the new balances.
Old 05-14-21, 01:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Troul
The freeway was just repaved. Very smooth & soft. I bet that very open area would be just super to run on, especially around 5pm during the week. It's 70 mph, so you really are limitless for achieving some top speeds in the new balances.
If you say that sweetly enough, they might actually take you up on your suggestion.
Old 05-14-21, 05:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
So it appears that most cyclists don't actually enjoy the act of riding their bikes that much. I mean I see complaints about cars, pedestrians, dogs, runners, roadies, e-bikes, parked cars, no lines, no "protected" path ad infinitum. And what's with the pictures? There's a local group of bike commuters who post pictures of cars parked in a bike lanes. I get it....they're not "supposed" to be there but it wouldn't be better if you just turned your ******g handlebars? You can't just ride around things?

Everyone is my enemy when I'm on the bike? And vice versa?

Damn y'all are some worked up Karens that's for sure.
Going back to the main category, 2 of the 10 most recent threads were complaints. Sounds like you’re fishing for something.
Old 05-14-21, 06:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Think I have this "problem" about once every two years or so. Really not that hard to go around or say something.I get many more problems with drivers who think I need to park myself in the blind spot of the intersection to facilitate their right turn on red. I had a guy actually try to nudge me with his car.
Old 05-14-21, 11:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
I ran for years before slowly transitioning to becoming a full time cyclist. Unless the streets were crazy busy with cars, I always ran in the street or bike lanes. As others have pointed out, asphalt is a bit softer, it isn’t likely to be broken up like concrete sidewalks and doesn’t have the annoying up and down of cub cut transitions to the roadway. Was passed by many cyclists with never a comment. I figure it was just like passing a very slow moving cyclist. If I knew a bike was behind me, I would jump out of the street. Seems like a lot to do about nothing. Maybe I should write a play about it!

Now peds completely crowding a MUP from one side to another is a whole different story.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-14-21, 11:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Cyclists who refuse to yield to pedestrians in the bike lane piss me off TBH, like look behind you and merge with the traffic, I saw an old man (70+) get off the road because an approaching cyclist signaled him to so he wouldn't have to cycle in the traffic. Who cares if they are going the wrong way, you're operating a vehicle avoid the pedestrians. gesturing them to move is incredibly entitled and rude imo

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-14-21 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-14-21, 11:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I ride, run and walk, a lot. Everywhere. There's usually a good reason why pedestrians do what they do. It's not always clueless selfishness. Sometimes it's survival.

I usually jog on the sidewalks where they're available, safe and in good condition. But there are many places where the sidewalk is uneven, or creates a hazard due to poorly designed infrastructure with blind spots for drivers.

A few places along my usual jogging/walking route have hedges, trees, fences, etc., that create blind spots for drivers exiting parking lots. So I leave the sidewalk and jog along the roadside until I'm passed that danger zone. That way I'm more visible and the drivers have another second or two to see me and react appropriately. Presuming they actually give a damn.

Same with cyclists. I avoid most "bike lanes" because they're just tarted up kill zones with painted lines. Too many bike lanes are too close to those same blind spots. I'd rather be away from the curb and more visible.

I see joggers and pedestrians in "bike lanes" all the time on my rides. No biggie. I anticipate soon enough to merge safely into the traffic lane, pass the folks on foot, and merge back to the kill zone... oops, "bike lane" ... to allow drivers to pass if they got stacked up and slightly delayed behind me.

There is absolutely nothing we can do to change the way people adapt to poorly designed infrastructure. The only thing that affects how people use infrastructure is a good design that nudges people intuitively to use it safely.

Until that day in nirvana, it's easier to live and let live and not make a fuss over how people use shared infrastructure. Take it up with the city, county or state, because it's probably bad infrastructure if people prefer the "bike lane" over the sidewalk.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-15-21, 12:06 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Cyclists who refuse to yield to pedestrians in the bike lane piss me off TBH, like look behind you and merge with the traffic, I saw an old man (70+) get off the road because an approaching cyclist signaled him to so he wouldn't have to cycle in the traffic. Who cares if they are going the wrong way, you're operating a vehicle avoid the pedestrians. gesturing them to move is incredibly entitled and rude imo
Let me get this straight. You feel that the person following the law is entitled and rude for wanting others to also follow the law?
Old 05-15-21, 01:00 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
In the late 70s, I was riding around Grey Army Airfield near the clothing store and a Lieutenant did a dress right dress of of the sidewalk into my path. I went over the bars and managed a judo roll. I Got up and was straightening mp handlebars and the Lieutenant started screaming at me. There were a few other officers who saw what he did and sent him on his way. I avoid bicycle paths and public paths wen ever possible. Most of the time when I encounter others walking in the road on a paved shoulder I can use more of the lane to give them a wide birth. The few times I have been on a public path I adjust my speed accordingly. I have had the occasional conflicts over the years but fortunately not allot. I am not perfect but better at holding mp temper then some.
Old 05-15-21, 02:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Let me get this straight. You feel that the person following the law is entitled and rude for wanting others to also follow the law?

Hate to break it to you, but the law pretty much everywhere is you have to avoid hitting pedestrians even if the pedestrian is acting illegally. If they're in a bike lane, but I can pass safely, I'm going to consider it a technical violation of the law, not even worth noticing. If, and I'm pretty sure I have never actually seen this in many, many thousands of miles, I would need them to move over, I would use my words.
Old 05-15-21, 02:47 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hate to break it to you, but the law pretty much everywhere is you have to avoid hitting pedestrians even if the pedestrian is acting illegally. If they're in a bike lane, but I can pass safely, I'm going to consider it a technical violation of the law, not even worth noticing. If, and I'm pretty sure I have never actually seen this in many, many thousands of miles, I would need them to move over, I would use my words.
But, but, the bike lane is for BIKES! There shouldn’t be anyone or anything besides bicycles in the bike lane.
It’s too dangerous to ride in the street without the fear of pedestrian incursions.
That way, they don’t have to use their bell, or even wave.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-15-21, 03:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
But, but, the bike lane is for BIKES! There shouldn’t be anyone or anything besides bicycles in the bike lane.
It’s too dangerous to ride in the street without the fear of pedestrian incursions.
That way, they don’t have to use their bell, or even wave.
I'm a fast rider, so if I'm in the bike lane, chances are I'm going to have to pass slower cyclists. It's quite obviously the same exact action and we're all acting quite legally. Pulling it off safely is hardly any kind of serious challenge. So does it magically become a threat because the runner is violating some ordinance?
Old 05-15-21, 03:23 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Nobody here is advocating for hitting the pedestrian. Even the meanest roadie knows it's likely to hurt them more than the ped. You seemed to be suggesting that gesturing to the ped that they shouldn't be there (hopefully while taking steps to avoid colliding with them) is somehow showing entitlement and rudeness. In such a case, the ped is still the only one breaking the law. If a cyclist is dumb enough to play chicken with them, that's a whole other story.

I'm glad you have never needed them to get out of the way. Here in Los Angeles, it happens plenty. The biggest reason is, when the ped is going AGAINST traffic, I can't just slow down and tuck in behind them until there's a safe opening to pass (which is what I do with cyclists/runners/peds going the same direction) and there are streets busy enough to have 15+ cars following each other a little too closely in a row. The best I can do in those situations is come to a stop as much to one side as possible. Now I will say that at least 9 out of 10 times, the ped moves over to make enough room for a safe pass. The outliers will keep running directly toward me and even brush against me when I have nowhere else to go.
Old 05-15-21, 03:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I'm a fast rider, so if I'm in the bike lane, chances are I'm going to have to pass slower cyclists. It's quite obviously the same exact action and we're all acting quite legally. Pulling it off safely is hardly any kind of serious challenge. So does it magically become a threat because the runner is violating some ordinance?
I think that was sarcasm, but read my above post about why it can be dangerous. Again, it's usually not a problem, but it can be.
Old 05-15-21, 03:55 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
So does it magically become a threat because the runner is violating some ordinance?
Yes, running is a violation of The Rules: Rule #42, to be exact.

Runners, like those Dirty Heathens on mountain bikes have no purpose violating the sanctity of the Bike Lane

Likes For Ironfish653:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.