Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007 Giant TCR C2 - Upgrade to a Cannondale SuperSix? Looking for advice.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-29-21, 11:21 PM
AdamITR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all, sort of new member, lurker for many years in the MTB forum area. Recently got more into road cycling, and now doing around 40-60 miles per week on the road bike, and on the other 2 days I ride about 10+ miles on the mountain bike. I live in Upstate NY, so it’s nice to be able to go between the bikes.

I have a question though … specifically regarding Road Bikes.

My current bike is a 2007 Giant TCR C2 that I purchased from an individual who took very, very, good care of it. It’s been rock solid and enjoyable to ride. No significant issues, just the usual maintenance that comes with biking.

I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 2021 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 Disc, with trading in my Giant TCR, and another Hardtail Mountain bike that does not get much seat time anymore. (Mainly ride my Specialized Stumpjumper). So the cash down is less than half the price of the bike new. I have a great LBS, and he has always done a superb job with maintenance, trade-ins, etc.

With that said, I am a bit unsure if this is an upgrade or more of a side grade. Hopefully members here can advise. I am new to road cycling, not mountain biking, where geo and new technologies seem to change every few years. What is the advantage that disc brakes will provide (besides the breaking force, lol)? Has geometry changed significantly since 2007? Has bike weight changed? Obviously aerodynamics are much different, so I see that benefit. Is there a change in rider comfort level? Any other information that would be helpful for me to make a decision?

Btw, 45 years old, good shape, some right hand numbness after long rides (rotator cuff injury), minor back pain to be expected.

Hoping someone can help explain some of my questions . Many thanks. (Not enough posts to upload a photo of the Giant)
Old 07-30-21, 03:34 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
The TCR is a great bike, and aero is all about you and the wheels, hardly at all about the bike.

If I was you I'd upgrade the TCR. It's from before they spoiled it with the 1.25 steerer and the press fit BB, it's a keeper IMO.
Old 07-30-21, 03:45 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
You won’t regret the Super Six. I love mine. Can’t compare it to a 14 year old bike I don’t know. Can you test ride it? That is the great thing about a LBS and the only way to really know.
Old 07-30-21, 05:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamITR
What is the advantage that disc brakes will provide (besides the breaking force, lol)?
I've wondered about this as well, hope someone has an answer.
Old 07-30-21, 01:10 PM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Research some issues with the new super six frames before you buy. Something about their forks. Good luck.
Old 08-03-21, 01:22 AM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LBS is willing to let me test ride the SuperSix, looked it over in person this past week. Still thinking that keeping the TCR is the way to go for the time being, and investing in a new wheelset. 50 miles today on it, and it really is a spectacular bike.
Old 08-03-21, 04:27 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
TCR spectacular or Super Six?
Old 08-03-21, 07:55 PM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was referring to the TCR, just was saying it rode well yesterday. I will have the opportunity (if I wanted) to take the Super Six for a much shorter ride … but I think my thoughts are to hold off for right now
Old 08-03-21, 08:01 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by AdamITR
investing in a new wheelset.
If you're looking at mid-range carbon, my 1080g 49mm tubulars from Caden are phenomenal.

Absolutely unfussed by gusty winds with a 23 on the front, and the best braking I've felt on an untextured brake track, up there with the best.
Old 08-03-21, 11:11 PM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So here is an interesting question that I do have.

Again comparing my ‘07 TCR C2 to the Cannondale SuperSix;

Is the wheelset on the Cannondale a good wheelset? Average, Mid-tier? It’s listed as: “Cannondale RD 2.0 Disc, double wall w/ eyelet, 28h.” A quick google search shows they are made by Maddux. Again, new to Road Bikes, so learning as I go.

I ask as I would be essentially paying $1500 for the SuperSix, as I am trading in Bikes that I do not ride any longer. So, if the wheelset is something that I may not want/need to upgrade, it could swing my decision.

Last, can someone explain the 11 speed system vs. what I currently have. Yes this is a noob question, but all I know is MTBs. Would I be getting a additional climbing gear, basically is my question.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-21, 04:23 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

From the sound of it the wheels would be a bit ordinary; spend the 1500 on some mad wheels and you'd have a noticeably higher performance bike in your TCR.

11s is an extra gear, and 11s cassettes are usually pretty wide, with 11-32 not uncommon, so yeah, you'd have an extra climbing gear. But any wheels you buy new would be 11s compatible, and you could always upgrade that later if 10s gearing options won't cut it for you.
Old 08-04-21, 12:16 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I think it would be a pretty significant upgrade. IF you could upgrade the wheels eventually, that would be the ticket and a complete package.
Old 08-05-21, 11:00 PM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I think it would be a pretty significant upgrade. IF you could upgrade the wheels eventually, that would be the ticket and a complete package.
So your opinion is to upgrade to the new bike (SuperSix), and then eventually upgrade the wheelset also?
Old 08-06-21, 08:31 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
That us what I would do, unless the new wheelset is light and you like it. I always go for as light as I reasonably can on the wheels (the Zipps/ENVEs are light enough for me) and since I climb a lot, I don't want a 1,700-2,000 gram wheelset. I climb 75% of my riding time though. On flatter ground, it is less important I suppose but I still would not want a heavy wheelset. Check the specs and it may be to your liking. I know what I would do. The wheelset upgrade, if stiff and light, is the best upgrade after the frame of course. Going from a 1,900 gram wheelset to a 1,500 gram wheelset is a very noticeable upgrade for me. Some of the new wheel are even lighter.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 08-07-21, 12:03 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

A hair over US$1500 gets you a pair of these with free delivery and the Decadence upgrade (straight pull hubs and CX-Rays). 49mm clinchers, 27.7mm wide, 1350g.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-07-21, 12:40 AM
AdamITR

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oo so light, so tempting, that would really be the perfect upgrade, thanks again for the link!
Old 08-07-21, 01:49 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Fabulous braking on those rims with the supplied pads. (I've got the tubular versions, maybe they brake a tad better being crazy light.)
CB03 Compound (a lot of big wheel companies use this compound)
Oh yeah, the Decadence option also includes little balance weights in the rims, maybe one or two other things. The bearings in the front hub are tiny, but they are the sexiest looking hubs you'll see.

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-07-21 at 01:57 AM.
Likes For Kimmo: