Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fake Online store Sites

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fake Online store Sites

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 11:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by m3tal070
Caveat Emptor.
+1. Some people will risk a lot to save money. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is (too good to be true).
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-27-19, 06:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
If you are going to order from a vendor other than an established one with a good reputation, look for a phone number on their home page. Legit, customer service oriented companies will have their phone number prominently displayed. Call it. Talk to someone. This method has NEVER failed me.

When I read a complaint about an online vendor's customer service, I make a habit out of going to their website. Almost without fail the companies that have frequent complaints have their phone number buried and hard to find. I have never had a bad CS experience with companies that prominently display their phone number.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-27-19, 09:26 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
For future reference if you do get scammed by an online site the recommended way to get them shut down is as follows.

To report SPAM/SCAM please contact the hosting provider:

This can be done by the hosting company of the website, which you can look up on this website: https://www.whoishostingthis.com/

Once you know the hosting provider, please look up their company information and contact them with the case.

You can also use the following pages to report the website:

Malware: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safe...eport_badware/

Scam and Fraud: https://secure.nclforms.org/nficweb/...laintForm.aspx
Old 09-27-19, 10:49 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep, because so many bike shops in Detroit carry front racks*.

I would know, because I've tried to buy that before. A dozen shops asked, one result. And even that was because someone special ordered it and then never picked it up.

*also applied to triple cranks, most varieties of bottom brackets, mens shoes to fit my midget feet, anything but whatever the latest and greatest cassettes are, tires in pretty much anything but 700x25, panniers, and bicycle bells that fit oversized handlebars
KLM didn't have a part I needed, couldn't get it for over a month, so looked it up online and told me I could get it from biketiredirect. Sometimes its good to have a mechanic on your side you can trust. I'll be back.

For that matter the guys at Downtown Detroit Bike shop or Ferndale Bike shop are local and super helpful.
Old 09-27-19, 11:08 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by eshew
For future reference if you do get scammed by an online site the recommended way to get them shut down is as follows.

To report SPAM/SCAM please contact the hosting provider:

This can be done by the hosting company of the website, which you can look up on this website: https://www.whoishostingthis.com/

Once you know the hosting provider, please look up their company information and contact them with the case.

You can also use the following pages to report the website:

Malware: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safe...eport_badware/

Scam and Fraud: https://secure.nclforms.org/nficweb/...laintForm.aspx
Good advice. I looked up the url of the site that ripped me off, and it came back as "unregistered", FWIW.
Old 09-27-19, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Are you kiddin'? I can't get anything from my bike shop without it being ordered for me. It's the same wait as if I ordered it myself, except that I have to go back to the shop to pick it up instead of it showing up at my door.
I can often get it faster if I order myself. The shops I will work with both order things 1x/week. If you order on a Wednesday, the product will come the next Thursday/Friday as orders are placed on Tuesday. And these are really good shops in terms of service, selection, knowledge, etc.
I have used them both to buy something for the same cost as online, but without shipping costs- so its effectively cheaper thru the LBS. But I really cant want it any time soon.
Old 11-02-19, 06:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Stumbled on one. I sometimes google "for sale" to sweep forums for something I'm looking for.

Came across "satherco". All sorts of sporting goods at way way too good to be true prices. Like $12 for a Dura Ace power meter. Lol, right. Anyone with half a brain would toss that on ebay, even if you were a pawn store broker or something.

Seems fake to me. The pictures are all Ebay links, meaning they're probably just the starting price being posted on their website.
Old 11-02-19, 06:55 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If you are going to order from a vendor other than an established one with a good reputation, look for a phone number on their home page. Legit, customer service oriented companies will have their phone number prominently displayed. Call it. Talk to someone. This method has NEVER failed me.

When I read a complaint about an online vendor's customer service, I make a habit out of going to their website. Almost without fail the companies that have frequent complaints have their phone number buried and hard to find. I have never had a bad CS experience with companies that prominently display their phone number.
I agree with this and what it immediately reminded me of, amazingly enough, is amazon. I have done a lot of business with them over the years and know the site quite well. I just tested out your hypothesis by trying to find a way to connect with someone at amazon over the phone. It took me scrolling through 7 pages to get to a place where they supposedly would call me. I never did locate a number that I could call them at. Maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it. I find this very inconvenient and annoying, personally. But then, I'm old-fashioned.
Old 11-05-19, 03:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I agree with this and what it immediately reminded me of, amazingly enough, is amazon. I have done a lot of business with them over the years and know the site quite well. I just tested out your hypothesis by trying to find a way to connect with someone at amazon over the phone. It took me scrolling through 7 pages to get to a place where they supposedly would call me. I never did locate a number that I could call them at. Maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it. I find this very inconvenient and annoying, personally. But then, I'm old-fashioned.
Really? I buy through my tablet. There's a whole bunch of ways to contact a real person online, and this phone number: 888-280-4331. I haven't used the number in years, but it took me about 30 seconds to find it.

I have used both over the years and have had all major problems satisfactorily resolved.
Old 11-05-19, 06:10 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Really? I buy through my tablet. There's a whole bunch of ways to contact a real person online, and this phone number: 888-280-4331. I haven't used the number in years, but it took me about 30 seconds to find it.

I have used both over the years and have had all major problems satisfactorily resolved.
Maybe I need to go back to find-amazon's-number-on-their-site-school...
Old 11-05-19, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
In fairness, I think it's harder to find the number on the website--that steers you to leaving a message for them to call you. I've used that in the past, and the call-back was instantaneous.
Old 11-05-19, 04:51 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts

From the bottom of any Amazon page.

Help -> Need More Help? -> Contact Us

You will be presented with the choice of an Online Chat or Call Back

I've used both in the last few months with complete satisfaction. The call back was within 3 seconds. I used the chat to iron out a rather complicated return issue I encountered. So I typed up as clearly as I could the problem before I initiated the chat. Then cut and paste the text into the chat window. The representative immediately saw the issue and credited my account with no questions asked.
Old 08-30-21, 09:06 AM
kcpingle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Runcycles - Indonesia

Anybody has an experience of this website in Indonesia ? How come the prices are so cheap !!

runcycles dot com

2021 - SPECIALIZED ROAD BIKE S-WORKS TARMAC SL7 - DURA ACE DI2 - USD 7500 !!!
Old 08-30-21, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by kcpingle
Anybody has an experience of this website in Indonesia ? How come the prices are so cheap !!

runcycles dot com

2021 - SPECIALIZED ROAD BIKE S-WORKS TARMAC SL7 - DURA ACE DI2 - USD 7500 !!!
Because it's a scam. And I think you are shilling.
Likes For indyfabz: