Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Real Weirdos on Craigslist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Real Weirdos on Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 06:59 AM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
grammar slammers...

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Add it all up, and you get a few flakes and a few genuine people that make it all worthwhile.

add = addition
ad = advertisement
--Their are many people who don't know the right "ad" to put in they're post.
Likes For PJay120:
Old 08-20-21, 07:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Free stuff I put on the curb of my busy street and it disappears.
And if it doesn't disappear after a week, then put a price on it and it will be gone within a day.
Old 08-20-21, 08:33 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Good one, that is hilarious!!
Old 08-31-21, 11:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Well, I had a unique non-encounter yesterday.

I've been hunting for a cell phone upgrade for a while. I found one in a town about 70 miles directly south. I had to go to another city about 170 miles southeast, which could take me through the town with the phone.

Anyway, so I organized my return trip to snag the phone, and started getting messages back:

Me: Meet in about 3 hours. 6:30ish
send your address.

Seller: I'm still at work

Me: when do you get off?

Seller: If your willing to pay me now I can have u meet my wife..i just dont want her getting the money

Seller: I'll be off around 830

Me: best to do cash on pickup.
when do you get off work?
breaks?

Me: 8:30 is fine.
where?

Seller: Hey my wife will meet u right now

Me: 10 minutes
where?
$450

Seller: At Wal-Mart in Roseburg but u gonna pay me please..i have her get the money she'll spend it

Seller: What's up my wife is ready

Me: I'm at Walmart

Seller: Could I pay half to me at least...u dont understand the money will be gone if she gets it all lol

Me: how do want me to pay you?
I can pay once phone is in hand.

I thought you said you would be off work at 8:30

Well, a few more back and forths.

The guy nor his wife never showed up.

It is a mighty sad state of affairs if one can't send the wife to Walmart and expect her to collect the money.

Anyway, I think the guy wanted me to send cash sight unseen, and the "wife" might show up with the phone, assuming he was actually married.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-31-21, 11:26 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
(snip)

It is a mighty sad state of affairs if one can't send the wife to Walmart and expect her to collect the money.

Anyway, I think the guy wanted me to send cash sight unseen, and the "wife" might show up with the phone, assuming he was actually married.

100% that's it. I can't believe people actually try and find a dumb buyer who will send them some money ahead of receiving the item.
Old 08-31-21, 03:12 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
So for those of you Facebook users, just how the heck do you search for anything? If I am browsing in the Hobbies/bicycles section, and I search for 'Nishiki' I get bags of rice. When I search for 'Bianchi' I get half a page of gun holsters etc. If I search for Bridgestone, you can guess the results. How do you restrict the search to just the bicycles category? Also- the search result is pretty random. If I am searching for 'Bianchi bike' more than half the page is non-Bianchi bikes and non-Bianchi bike parts. If I sort the results by 'Recommended' I get pretty pertinent results, but I don't see the newest ads. If I sort by Date listed, I get the newest listings, but it's full of unrelated results; and I am clearly missing a lot of listings.
Old 09-01-21, 07:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I've been hunting for a cell phone upgrade for a while. I found one in a town about 70 miles directly south. I had to go to another city about 170 miles southeast, which could take me through the town with the phone.

Anyway, so I organized my return trip to snag the phone, and started getting messages back:

Me: Meet in about 3 hours. 6:30ish
send your address.

Seller: I'm still at work

Me: when do you get off?

Seller: If your willing to pay me now I can have u meet my wife..i just dont want her getting the money

Seller: I'll be off around 830

Me: best to do cash on pickup.
when do you get off work?
breaks?

Me: 8:30 is fine.
where?

Seller: Hey my wife will meet u right now

Me: 10 minutes
where?
$450

Seller: At Wal-Mart in Roseburg but u gonna pay me please..i have her get the money she'll spend it

Seller: What's up my wife is ready

Me: I'm at Walmart

Seller: Could I pay half to me at least...u dont understand the money will be gone if she gets it all lol

Me: how do want me to pay you?
I can pay once phone is in hand.

I thought you said you would be off work at 8:30

I got $10 which says neither the wife nor the phone existed. The pushiness to get you to pay him before you even see the phone is what gives it away.
Old 09-01-21, 07:23 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
So for those of you Facebook users, just how the heck do you search for anything? If I am browsing in the Hobbies/bicycles section, and I search for 'Nishiki' I get bags of rice. When I search for 'Bianchi' I get half a page of gun holsters etc. If I search for Bridgestone, you can guess the results. How do you restrict the search to just the bicycles category? Also- the search result is pretty random. If I am searching for 'Bianchi bike' more than half the page is non-Bianchi bikes and non-Bianchi bike parts. If I sort the results by 'Recommended' I get pretty pertinent results, but I don't see the newest ads. If I sort by Date listed, I get the newest listings, but it's full of unrelated results; and I am clearly missing a lot of listings.
At the end of the day... probably not much you can do if people are keyword-spamming and/or posting things in the wrong section. You can try to exclude words like "rice" or "holster" or "tires."