Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The need for speed...?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The need for speed...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 10:17 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Does the group the OP rides with include some fighter pilots with nicknames like Iceman and Goose? Maybe a guy named Maverick? Just wondering.
LOL...no nicknames that I know of. The strong riders do have serious road bikes though. But then, so do I.

I just need to get used to the pace on the flats and learn how to draft better and periodically enjoy the scenery by looking up.

I'm also very impressed with some of the riders who are clearly older with a bit of a gut that even after riding 80 miles, are still able to keep a 24+ mph pace on the flats.

Old 09-02-21, 10:29 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Become a randonneur and then you can question your need for sleep instead of speed.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-02-21, 10:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
We probably all think (if it weren't a point of contention in this thread) that most group rides are motivated by a few guys who like to hammer, and a lot of people who want to keep up .... all of whom put a premium on their ability to "suffer." "Sufferfest" is not a word invented by slow riders.

Not saying Every group is "out for blood," but on almost every group ride I have ever been on, even the "Recovery Ride" or "New Rider" rides ... the fast guys got bored and the competitive guys chased.

And while a lot of cyclist like to go slow and at least glimpse the roses ... a lot of riders see riding as highly competitive, and judge the quality of the ride by how long they were able to ride so hard every moment was incredibly unpleasant. There is a huge group of ridders---we all know it--who really do value painful riding.

That is fine, too. If they see the bike as a tool for testing their ability to exert themselves to ever higher limits, ... nothing wrong with that. Some people walk, some jog, some run, some race. Some people do a morning warm-up/tune-up with three-pound dumbbells, some try to maintain a pretty good level of muscle but not bulk up, some try to get stronger and stronger, and some go for max effort--and some are actually into body-building. All good.

I don't do many group rides because it is hard to find a group that feels like I do on any given day. Not the the group's fault, not my fault, nobody's fault. I do what I do, I accept that others can do the same.
Apparently the joys of riding exuberantly are hard for some to understand. It's not (always) about winning some imaginary race. It gets the blood pumping, the endorphins released, and adds a thrill as everything moves a bit faster. Enthusiastic riding companions help get each other to that state.

When someone looks on and only sees masochistic competition, I worry for them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-02-21, 11:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Apparently the joys of riding exuberantly are hard for some to understand. It's not (always) about winning some imaginary race. It gets the blood pumping, the endorphins released, and adds a thrill as everything moves a bit faster. Enthusiastic riding companions help get each other to that state.

When someone looks on and only sees masochistic competition, I worry for them.
I have done some of those rides. Enough to know they are not for me.

Every moment of every one of those rides was unpleasant .... extremely so. Sure, I amazed myself to see how hard I could push myself ... but that is sort of like saying, I didn't realize I could stick so many toothpicks under my fingernails .....

As for endorphins .... the main thing I felt afterwards was relief .... it felt good to stop.

It was never about "winning some imaginary race." It was always about pushing as hard as I could .... which is way past discomfort and into distress .... and I could hurt myself for quite a while.

On another hand, I could hit my knee with a hammer for quite a while too, if I wanted.

And you can say what you want about "enthusiastic riding companions," but from what i saw, it was all competition and bragging rights .... not that anybody ever bragged, or put down the slower riders .... it was just that they knew they were the fastest that night.

You don't see those guys riding that pace solo ......

Hey, as I say, a lot of ways to use a bike ....
Old 09-02-21, 12:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

I have done some of those rides. Enough to know they are not for me.

Every moment of every one of those rides was unpleasant .... extremely so. Sure, I amazed myself to see how hard I could push myself ... but that is sort of like saying, I didn't realize I could stick so many toothpicks under my fingernails .....

As for endorphins .... the main thing I felt afterwards was relief .... it felt good to stop.

It was never about "winning some imaginary race." It was always about pushing as hard as I could .... which is way past discomfort and into distress .... and I could hurt myself for quite a while.

On another hand, I could hit my knee with a hammer for quite a while too, if I wanted.
Well, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy those rides. I wouldn't persist in them either if I didn't get anything good from them...

And you can say what you want about "enthusiastic riding companions," but from what i saw, it was all competition and bragging rights .... not that anybody ever bragged, or put down the slower riders .... it was just that they knew they were the fastest that night.

You don't see those guys riding that pace solo ......

Hey, as I say, a lot of ways to use a bike ....
...but it still sounds like you are filling in a lot of gaps with your imagination. How do you know they didn't also do solo rides as hard as possible? If someone is pleased with themselves after a ride but doesn't actually rub anyone's nose in it, what's the problem?

I just wish we could ride at whatever pace we enjoy, without having to cast aspersions on those who ride at different speeds. It's endemic here on BikeForums.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-02-21 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 12:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Well, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy those rides. I wouldn't persist in them either if I didn't get anything good from them....
Yup. Chacun a son gout, they say in France .... possibly.
...but it still sounds like you are filling in a lot of gaps with your imagination. How do you know they didn't also do solo rides as hard as possible?
Right, because I don't actually know anybody, and the only contact I ever have with humanity is at group rides.

You and I both know that a lot of those guys love riding in groups because of the speed (aero benefit) and because of the friendly competition ..... not just the Strava segment sprints, but also the fact that they push each other harder than they usually can push themselves. They talk about it--you talk about it in this thread---and we all have seen it.

.I just wish we could ride at whatever pace we enjoy, without having to cast aspersions on those who ride at different speeds. It's endemic here on BikeForums.
Don't put that on me, dude. I am the one repeating that there are a lot of ways to use a bike. Maybe You feel persecuted, but maybe you only feel persecuted? Maybe you are defensive? I don't attack anyone for how they ride .... from the folks doing seven miles per hour around the neighborhood with a beer in the handlebar cup carrier to the guys doing the frantic pacelines. I can and have ridden with both (except I can't keep up with the paceline guys anymore ... it has been a bad few years. (on the other hand, they had to cancel group rides also ... but I am sure those guys are tearing it up on Zwift.))

There is nothing inherently wrong with competition, with proving that you can hang, or with proving that you are the fastest, or whatever. there is something wrong with pretending that none of those guys are motivated by that ... particularly since I have hung out in the parking lot after rides and listened to them talk.

In any case ... One More Time .... Lots of ways to ride bikes. Have at it.

And hey ..... it's just Bike Forums.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-21, 12:48 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
I think everyone can agree that there are many different ways to enjoy cycling - thank goodness for that!

I started this thread acknowledging that I was going to worry less about going fast and more about enjoyment. So, I got into gravel riding more. I'm still going to ride with the group but if I lag behind, so be it - I'm not going to stress about it. In fact, at the last long ride, I split off from the group towards the end. Easy peasy.

Last edited by cj3209; 09-02-21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 01:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

In any case ... One More Time .... Lots of ways to ride bikes. Have at it.

And hey ..... it's just Bike Forums.
Sorry man, I wasn't trying to make anything personal. Just trying to verbalize a general frustration with these discussions, and you happened to put forward the bad impressions of group rides that I wanted to respond to.

I agree with what you said above, I'll quit digging.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-02-21, 01:03 PM
Maelochs

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to make anything personal. Just trying to verbalize a general frustration with these discussions, and you happened to put forward the bad impressions of group rides that I wanted to respond to.

I agree with what you said above, I'll quit digging.
yeah, well .... I get defensive pretty quickly. Mea culpa.
Old 09-02-21, 04:43 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Right, because I don't actually know anybody, and the only contact I ever have with humanity is at group rides.

Well... That sums me up fairly accurately... 😅 😅 😅

Old 09-02-21, 06:01 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
the groups near me aren't so much out for blood as they are out to drive their enemies before them and hear the lamentations of the women shortly after having crushed them. mostly masters
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 09-02-21, 07:01 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Well... That sums me up fairly accurately... 😅 😅 😅

Well, i see my wife ..... and whoever is behind the register at the grocery store .... do people I talk at online count?