Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

2 weird tire things: backwards tread? offcenter?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2 weird tire things: backwards tread? offcenter?

Old 11-11-20, 10:59 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tire casing wanders -- how bad is that?

Hi... I had a Grifo tubie I mounted awhile ago. I just tried using it. I dont know if it was acting weird but I realized that it wanders far to one side for about 18". I thought it was glued on badly. But I also had other suspicions. Tho I've forgotten the original mounting experience. But it seems like the casing is built weird. Like the tape is centered in the glue-job just fine. So I took it off to see if I could remount it in some way that reduced the casing wander.

I re-glued it and the casing still wanders. As the glue is drying I've weighted the wheel on an angle -- put it up against a wall and put weights on the side of the wheel to try to make the tire roll a bit to the side away from the wander. Have no idea if that will help.

So I'm also wondering if I'll notice the wandering case/tire? I ride as low a pressure as I can. So the tire is smearing a lot already. Hmmm... I don't remember it riding badly last year.

(Oh, I also remounted it backwards! Doh! I googled this and see that ppl do this on purpose if they want more traction. I don't. But I guess I do ride in lots of oak leaves so who knows maybe it'll be handy. We'll see how much it hurts my forward rolling! Whattaya think? Will I cry at how slow it goes?)

I shda left it alone and tested it out to see if i noticed the dang wander!

I haven't raced and will probably just horse around this season. Didn't train much in summer. But I'm still enjoying the CX riding on my fave courses around town. Haven't seen anyone else out, except I've lured a few folks into trying CX and they're having fun, too -- so they're the other CXers now!

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-11-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-27-21, 05:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Sorry to revive the thread...if you've already found answer. In fact, I'm not going to give you an answer, because I don't have one, just an observation in my own experience with hand made Challenge tires. I've used a lot of their tires (open tubular, which is their fancy way to say clincher, both with and without tubes), and to a tee, not one has had the tread perfectly bonded to the carcass. It is disconcerting when you mount them and look at your front wheel and watch the tread wandering back and forth, then check the rear and the same is going on...thinking your wheel is suddenly way out of whack. I've checked them all, and never was the wheel not true, it's just something I've noticed with every one of the time hand made tires.

Good work on getting others hooked on the good craziness of Cross.

Last edited by Badger6; 12-17-21 at 05:03 AM.