Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think my mtn bike is 2" too large for me.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 11:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Standover is a great way to size a bike when you want to spend less than one minute on bike fitting..
It’s a place to start. And, honestly, I’ve never seen anyone spend more than about 5 minutes on fitting a bike on the shop floor. Most “fitting” is done after the bike gets home and people start to tweak the bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-21, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I wanted to make sure it was normal and correct.
Just because I don't mind it, doesn't make it correct.

Any reason you won't explain how you decided the frame was too big?
Old 08-27-21, 12:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because his feet could not touch the ground when he raised his saddle high enough that his feet could not touch the ground.
Old 08-27-21, 01:52 PM
Bodgeitbob
Makes fools look smart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm almost 6 foot and riding with a 19 inch frame on 26 inch wheels. I set my saddle so I can almost but not quite straighten my leg at pedal bottom, this way I can push my heel past the pedals occasionally for full calf stretch
Old 08-28-21, 10:41 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Rode today with my higher seat. I had to get used to a rolling stop as I got off my seat.
Old 08-28-21, 10:43 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-28-21, 05:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You know those charts are just estimates, right? Some people have long legs and short torsos, and vice versa.

Does it actually feel too large on any dimension?
Old 08-29-21, 06:27 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

feels fine, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Rides are under an hour, so bike fit does not need to be optimized
Old 08-29-21, 06:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts

So now it's not 2" too large?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-29-21, 09:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think no matter how long your rides are, your bike fit should be optimized.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-31-21, 07:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
got a photo of you standing next to your bike?
Old 08-31-21, 08:13 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
About 10-15 years ago the bicycle industry came out with crank forward bikes. This allowed the rider to get proper leg extension, due to the crank being offset forward from the seat tube, but also let the rider touch the ground while seated.

Because the majority of the weight was on the rear wheel, the front wheel was less weighted and the steering felt less precise. The design was also not good for climbing, except grinding up a hill. They were “almost” a recumbent but still retained more of a tradition hybrid appearance, but with a longer wheelbase.

They have since fallen out of favor, but for shorts trips, once someone got used to the steering, they delivered to their intended rider. My brother had one, and while it was definitely a different feel, I could see it being a serviceable bike for lower speed around town riding.

Have no idea what is available today, but it is an option for short rides and feet down stops.

John

Sounds like an Electra brand bicycle -- pretty sure they are still around .
Old 08-31-21, 08:15 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Mountain bikes will always show miles of seatpost when properly sized. My leg is at the proper extension on each of these bikes. I can’t put a foot down on level ground from any of them.

Those are some beauties !!
Old 08-31-21, 08:20 AM
DMC707

While I agree with what you have said, the parameter for the properly sized mountain bike involves standover height. If you can’t get off the bike without 3” to 4” between the sensitive bits and the top tube, the bike is too large. If the bike is too large, the other proportions like the top tube length, reach, etc. are off which has an impact on handling, especially off road.

This would be correct if we were talking about bikes like yours (and i love them ) . Hardtails or short travel 26' bikes or even 27.5" bikes. But in todays age of 29'ers, plus tire bikes and bigger travel full suspension bikes , its hard to get 4" of standover clearance unless you're tall.
One of my MTB's is a 140 suspension class 29'er (and im 5'8) - there is no top tube clearance, but the reach is spot on and it motors like a dream
Old 08-31-21, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Then why did you start this thread?!!!!! You wanted to know if you should pay attention to the chart that seems to say that something that fits you shouldn't when you've already decided it doesn't matter anyway?

BTW, if your bike actually did fit, you might be able to do rides of longer or shorter than an hour without affecting your sperm tubes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-31-21, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by DMC707
This would be correct if we were talking about bikes like yours (and i love them ) . Hardtails or short travel 26' bikes or even 27.5" bikes. But in todays age of 29'ers, plus tire bikes and bigger travel full suspension bikes , its hard to get 4" of standover clearance unless you're tall.
One of my MTB's is a 140 suspension class 29'er (and im 5'8) - there is no top tube clearance, but the reach is spot on and it motors like a dream
Just one of the big reasons I don’t like 29ers is that they are only for big people. The reason for the 3 to 4” of clearance on mountain bikes hasn’t changed even if the manufacturers (and others) want to convince you it has.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-31-21, 09:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got a photo of you standing next to your bike?
But that would require an actual bike....
Old 08-31-21, 09:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
But that would require an actual bike....

Maybe he could post a picture of himself next to the size chart.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-31-21, 09:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Just one of the big reasons I don’t like 29ers is that they are only for big people. The reason for the 3 to 4” of clearance on mountain bikes hasn’t changed even if the manufacturers (and others) want to convince you it has.
IMO (and in my expereinec) there never really was a compelling need for 3-4” top tube clearance on MTBs in the first place. Sure, it is a small bonus, but really a minor consideration.

i’ve mountain biked with clearance ranging fro zero to about three inches, and in my experience it never made a damn bit of difference either way.

But if standover IS a huge concern (which I get it is for you) I don’t think 29er vs 26er makes a difference. Shaped top tubes let a designer lower the front of the top tube a lot. Also modern mtbs have gone with shorter seat tubes for any given size which makes it easier to lower the rear of the top tube. This standover is pretty good. In fact, I have just a hair more standover clearance on my friends new Med 140mm FS 29er than on my 10 year old Med 140mm FS 26er.

If somebody finds their new 29 FS having less standover than their old 26er, I am guessing that more often than not it is because the bike has more suspension travel, not that the wheel size is larger.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-31-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 10:14 AM
DMC707

IMO (and in my expereinec) there never really was a compelling need for 3-4” top tube clearance on MTBs in the first place. Sure, it is a small bonus, but really a minor consideration.

i’ve mountain biked with clearance ranging fro zero to about three inches, and in my experience it never made a damn bit of difference either way.

But if standover IS a huge concern (which I get it is for you) I don’t think 29er vs 26er makes a difference. Shaped top tubes let a designer lower the front of the top tube a lot. Also modern mtbs have gone with shorter seat tubes for any given size which makes it easier to lower the rear of the top tube. This standover is pretty good. In fact, I have just a hair more standover clearance on my friends new Med 140mm FS 29er than on my 10 year old Med 140mm FS 26er.

If somebody finds their new 29 FS having less standover than their old 26er, I am guessing that more often than not it is because the bike has more suspension travel, not that the wheel size is larger.

Truth in this

Phot evidence of 2 bikes from the same manufacturer, but with different amounts of travel

Yeti SB-95 (the teal one) -- 150mm front suspension, 140mm back -- zero crotch clearance and no problems resulting from that . I'd rather have the suspension than the standover (the downhill bike also has zero crotch clearance - hmmm - )

But the bottom pic is a YEti with a decidedly lower top tube, but also a 29'er - but this one with 120mm travel (plenty of standover height with this bike )

Old 08-31-21, 10:17 AM
DMC707

This is one of those "Your mileage may vary " type of comments

I was a devout 26" rider and didnt have a compelling reason to switch , - UNTIL - i rode a 29'er and saw with my own stopwatch and Strava how much more effective it was on the same course
Old 08-31-21, 01:41 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Just one of the big reasons I don’t like 29ers is that they are only for big people.
There is zero truth to this statement. I know women that are that are less than 5' tall riding 29ers.
Old 08-31-21, 03:26 PM
cyccommute 

Except that mountain bikes are still sized smaller than a road bike. If you are riding a mountain bike and have no clearance over the top tube, you are likely riding a bike that is too large.

Standover has never been a problem for me personally. Standover is a problem for someone who isn’t “average” sized. And the shorter you are, the more of an issue it becomes.

Compare apples to apples and not cheese to chalk.

Old 08-31-21, 03:42 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by prj71
There is zero truth to this statement. I know women that are that are less than 5' tall riding 29ers.
And have you looked at the compromises that have to be made so that those women can ride 29ers? For example, the Trek Top Fuel small (15.5”) has a stand over that is only 5mm smaller than the standover of a medium (17.5”) and only about 10mm smaller than the standover of a medium large (18.5”). It’s a joke that they are trying to convince 5’ tall people that they can fit on a bike that is really about 2 to 2.5” too tall to begin with. A 5’ tall woman fits better on a 13” mountain frame than a 15.5” mountain frame.

Additionally, I’ve seen saddles on the very small 29ers that are below the top of the rear tire. My wife’s saddle on a 13” mountain bike with 26” wheels is barely above the rear tire. If a small rider were to push back off the saddle on a downhill….a very common maneuver…they could come into contact with that tire. Do you want to have the rear tire buzz your sensitive bits?

Old 08-31-21, 08:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Except that mountain bikes are still sized smaller than a road bike. If you are riding a mountain bike and have no clearance over the top tube, you are likely riding a bike that is too large.
Nonsense. If you are short legged for your hieght, that is what will often happen with a proper size frame. Your method of bike fitting would leave me on absurdly small MTB frames.

Standover has never been a problem for me personally. Standover is a problem for someone who isn’t “average” sized. And the shorter you are, the more of an issue it becomes.
Seeing as I have years of experience on MTBs with little or no standover, while you (by your own admission) have none, you might think twice about telling me whether or not no standover is an issue, seeing as I (unlike you) can actually speak from many years of experience, rather than conjecture.

You know what IS a problem for people who are not average in body proportion? Sizing by standover. Which is why no professional bike fitter worth a ***** does it that way on an MTB.

Compare apples to apples and not cheese to chalk.
That was my whole point. Many people who find their new 29er having less stand-over than their old 26er are comparing cheese to chalk.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-01-21 at 09:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.