Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Narrow Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 03:01 PM
KBish_CT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Narrow Helmets

I was a big fan of the old Specialized Sub 6. It was a nice, slim design that fit my narrow head. A lot of the helmets these days are super wide (Bell, Giro) and don't fit well on me. Buying and returning on Amazon is getting to be a drag. Any suggestions for a narrower profile helmet that's as cool as the 'ol Sub 6?
Old 08-31-21, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Go down to the bike shop and try some on. In name brand helmets, I don't see much, maybe $15 price difference between online and LBS.

If you need the cheapest price, then you don't have to buy from the LBS, but at least you'll know what fits you.
Old 09-01-21, 07:20 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
The problem is that at the LBS, you're limited to whatever they have in stock in your size. I found that out when I bought mine. They had way more stock in their online store (and less pricey... though mine wasn't that bad but it's the most I've ever paid for a helmet in my life) than they had in-store. Understandable that the employee didn't suggest they order in a bunch for me to try others, and really mine is okay, but it's a good thing that what they had happened to fit.
Old 09-01-21, 07:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Go down to the bike shop and try some on. In name brand helmets, I don't see much, maybe $15 price difference between online and LBS.

If you need the cheapest price, then you don't have to buy from the LBS, but at least you'll know what fits you.
True that you don’t have to, but if you use their shop, you should buy there. If enough people took advantage of them and bought on-line, they would disappear.

Old 09-02-21, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by rsbob
True that you don’t have to, but if you use their shop, you should buy there. If enough people took advantage of them and bought on-line, they would disappear.
They are already disappearing and have been for many years. A certain amount of people are completely comfortable already buying stuff online and don't use their LBS's. Perhaps if they go to their local shops to try something on before buying, then a certain percentage of them might just buy from the LBS since it's in their hands now.

Even if they don't fork out the potential $300 that a helmet might cost, they might buy a water bottle holder or pair of gloves while there.

If LBS's ostracize people browsing and just trying stuff on, then they'll definitely be out of business.
Old 09-02-21, 09:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Even if they don't fork out the potential $300 that a helmet might cost, they might buy a water bottle holder or pair of gloves while there.

If LBS's ostracize people browsing and just trying stuff on, then they'll definitely be out of business.
While maybe they shouldnt ostracize people for trying stuff on then buying online, I dont think a winning business model is to encourage it, or even like it.
I have bought stuff online countless times after having gone to one of the two shops near me I buy from. Ive done that because the shop flat out doesnt have what I want, but I went there with the intent to buy if they did have what I want.
Old 09-02-21, 12:28 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
They are already disappearing and have been for many years. A certain amount of people are completely comfortable already buying stuff online and don't use their LBS's. Perhaps if they go to their local shops to try something on before buying, then a certain percentage of them might just buy from the LBS since it's in their hands now.

I just purchased two relatively expensive bicycling items - a new helmet and a new saddle. Neither was able for any preview locally (they are not even carried locally) and we have a few bike shops in Seattle. I ordered both items online. I used the online sizing charts and lucked out. I know lbs can only carry limited inventory so that's really an issue.
Old 09-02-21, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by kahn
I just purchased two relatively expensive bicycling items - a new helmet and a new saddle. Neither was able for any preview locally (they are not even carried locally) and we have a few bike shops in Seattle. I ordered both items online. I used the online sizing charts and lucked out. I know lbs can only carry limited inventory so that's really an issue.
That's true. Maybe another aspect of the business model for LBS's might be a showroom for the manufacturers and they mfrs actually pay the LBS for shelf space to put their items on. Similar to how a lot of shelf space at the grocery store is purchased by certain manufacturers that put stuff on them.

Not that the LBS would have to stock that stuff for sale, but just so that people can come there and see in person and try on. Maybe if they order online and reference the LBS, then the LBS can get another dollar or two for that.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-02-21, 02:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

No one said anything about ostracizing. - where did that come from?

Just bought $120 helmet today from my LBS. The irony is they didn’t have a sizing chart at the shop so had to go to Specialized.com to figure out if the medium would be a touch too small since the shop didn’t have one in stock. The holiday internet special on the same helmet was $110 with free shipping. Keeping my neighbors employed is important, regardless of trends. I kindly agree to disagree.

Old 09-02-21, 02:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by rsbob
No one said anything about ostracizing. - where did that come from?
I said it. That's where it came from.

It's purely a imaginary supposition on my part for where I figured comments would go on my suggestion that the OP might just go to an LBS and try on a few helmets. Even with the intention that they will purchase online anyhow.
Old 09-02-21, 03:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

^ Just can’t argue against someone who uses their imagination to make their point.

Old 09-02-21, 04:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by KBish_CT
I was a big fan of the old Specialized Sub 6. It was a nice, slim design that fit my narrow head. A lot of the helmets these days are super wide (Bell, Giro) and don't fit well on me. Buying and returning on Amazon is getting to be a drag. Any suggestions for a narrower profile helmet that's as cool as the 'ol Sub 6?
Try looking at Lazer or if you can find them anywhere, Abus
Old 09-02-21, 04:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
While maybe they shouldnt ostracize people for trying stuff on then buying online, I dont think a winning business model is to encourage it, or even like it.
I have bought stuff online countless times after having gone to one of the two shops near me I buy from. Ive done that because the shop flat out doesnt have what I want, but I went there with the intent to buy if they did have what I want.
The LBS shops have a decent amount of protection if they want it. Try and buy online a Bontrager or Spesh helmet at a discount. Even a Lazer or a POC. Maybe if they're last years models you can find something somewhere discounted online in an odd colorway; otherwise it's pretty challenging.
Old 09-03-21, 02:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A couple of local friends have smallish narrow noggins. They like Kask, Catlike and Laser. One of 'em just got a POC, Ventral or Octal, but I forgot to ask him how he liked it.

POCs are excellent but tend to be a bit bigger in exterior circumference and look kinda mushroom-heady. And, per my experience and customer reviews, POCs vary considerably in fit between models. So be sure you can return or exchange it. My POC Omne Air Spin in large is a bit too large for my Frankenstein pumpkin, but it's okay with a knit cap or bandana as a cool weather helmet. I should have gotten it in medium.

Older Giro helmets were shaped and sized differently, but when Giro was bought by the same company that also owns Bell, it seemed like Giro helmets were changed to be more like Bell, although there are still significant differences between the two brands.
Old 09-04-21, 06:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
FWIW, checking out something in a store and then buying it online is known as "showrooming." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showrooming It's a scumbag bottom feeder practice. Certainly no BF member would shop that way.
Likes For shelbyfv: