Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1985 Trek 770 Hot Pink--Pictures in member album

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 03:34 PM
SBreckman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I picked this up off of local classifieds about a year ago. I am not really a huge cyclist and certainly not a vintage bike guy and just thought it looked really cool. I have come to find out that this is a pretty special bicycle and probably something I should learn more about, and I am not even sure if I should be riding it. As far as I can tell, most of the parts are original campy. The front fork and stem, saddle, have very clearly been replaced, and maybe the brake hoods, but everything else matches from what I can tell, but admittedly I could be very wrong.

It is in fair condition. It was well-ridden before I ever got it, and there are some scratches and scrapes and some of the decals have been worn off. But it rides beautifully.

It is stamped with 60TSI which from what vintage-trek explains is named for Tim Isaac. Not sure if the 60 size is more unique than the bike itself or if that was typical to this model.
  1. Some early and mid 80s bottom brackets were marked with 58TSI or 60TSI. In the early 1980s Tim S. Isaac designed new lugs and a new bottom bracket shell for Trek. The new bottom bracket shell is typically marked with 58TSI (or more rarely, 60TSI). This designation is not part of the serial number but is a model number of the shell. The TSI are Tim's initials. The 58 or 60 refer to the angle between the seattube and the downtube.
Any idea what this bicycle in this condition might be worth?
I am happy to post more photos if that will be helpful.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-27-22, 08:32 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
pic assist (thanks for reading some posts and knowing to put the pics in your album!)

Old 05-27-22, 08:54 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Sadly, your bike was wrecked hard. The top tube just behind the headlug shows clear bending damage. You might be able to have it straightened, but without the original fork with the trident crown, no real point, or much value as a frame set. Value would be in whatever you can get for the components. BTW, they're not original. They look to be Victory or Triomphe, not the original Super Record. Hope you didn't hand over too much cash.
Old 05-27-22, 09:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
As Nesteel has pointed out non original fork and some front end damage going on. Hard to tell from the photos how bad it is, i can't see a bulge in the tube, the flaking paint tells a bit of the story. Put a straight edge on both tubes to see if there is any deformation. If none is detected I would still ride it and keep an eye on it.
If you are selling it if the buyer does not point it out, you should.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-31-22, 01:12 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
I concur, suspect frame with enough damage to replace the fork, that alone devalues the bike with out any wreck damage, worth $3-500 in components maybe more if you take your time and disassemble and sell in pieces.

that is an aero seatpost so those are nice...
Old 05-31-22, 01:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Being the former owner of a hot pink 1985 Trek 770, the frame damage, lower end Campy components, and chrome fork make me sad.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-31-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 03:47 PM
SBreckman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it!

That is actually reassuring. I enjoy riding it, and didn't want to have to be too careful if it was worth more than I knew, and didn't want to sell it if it needed to be in the hands of someone who could really appreciate it. Still definitely turns some heads around here.
Likes For SBreckman:
Old 05-31-22, 11:38 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Sadly, your bike was wrecked hard. The top tube just behind the headlug shows clear bending damage. You might be able to have it straightened, but without the original fork with the trident crown, no real point, or much value as a frame set. Value would be in whatever you can get for the components. BTW, they're not original. They look to be Victory or Triomphe, not the original Super Record. Hope you didn't hand over too much cash.
can you tell me more how that top tube has bending damage, I am no expert and only see a ding or scratch off paint? Could you circle what you see?
Old 06-01-22, 04:32 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
First thought about the bent frame is, " do I have the fork from that?"
P1040796, on Flickr
Picked it up in Washington DC for $25 and bent it back.
It is a sad thing to have a bent frame .
Victory and Triumph are not a desirable group, in my book, due to the odd BCD of the crank and a bit angular.
Old 06-01-22, 05:44 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
can you tell me more how that top tube has bending damage, I am no expert and only see a ding or scratch off paint? Could you circle what you see?
Easiest way to tell is the crease on the top tube with the missing paint. Classic bent top tube. Then with a finger, feel under the top tube and down tube, close to the head tube. You will find a faint ripple.

Anytime you see a non-stock fork, the first thing to check for is crash damage. Forks don't get lost. 99% of the time, they get damaged in a crash. 1% of the time, they get replaced for something "better" like a carbon fork or in the case of MTBs, a suspension fork. A generic chrome fork would not be an upgrade, so I would dismiss that.

Buy enough bikes, and you will find plenty that were crashed.