Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking 10x1x130mm axle for 80's Sunshine/Sansin road hub

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Desperately seeking 10x1x130mm axle for 80's Sunshine/Sansin road hub

Old 11-08-22, 06:43 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by McCycle
Frame and fork look straight to me, I wouldn't bothered if there was that kind of damage, not even as a wall hanger.

I used to straighten bent Schwinn forks by throwing the bike on the lawn on the forks in a way to bring them back to true, metal "has a memory" and it usually worked quite well, a trick an old timer showed me.
I've done it with a torch, but never brute force, didn't think it would work.
Old 11-08-22, 07:33 AM
McCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Heating with a torch would likely negatively affect the temper of the steel, unless re-tempered properly.

The old Schwinn forks bend just off the tube, the forks themselves aren't bent, so you're just straightening a little kink, a couple slams on the lawn always did it never broke one.
Old 11-08-22, 07:45 AM
McCycle

Got tired of waiting on the BC Precision ball set, the complete 2nd axle with new cones etc showed up, along with Park grease, so I assembled the axle with cleaned old balls to see if the wider cones make the OLD too wide, and I'd already planned for a similar scenario so had bought a stack of thick M10 washers, which are now coming in very handy as I had to lose the original very long drive side 2nd locknut/spacer and replace it with 3 washers and thin locknut.

Hubs sounds excellent, super smooth, and drops into the frame like it should, OLD is dead on.

Somewhat bizarre was the total lack of wear in the races built in to the axle, no visible wear, must be Kryptonite.
Old 11-08-22, 08:07 AM
McCycle

As mentioned, a more upright steering angle would be ok for technical stuff at low speeds, so even if the frame was slightly tweaked back from an old accident, it still looks totally usable/enjoyable.

Trials bikes have nearly vertical forks - head angle - giving amazing maneuverability at low speeds, where's a big "chopper" all raked out has great high speed stability but low speed virtually none.

Most of my riding on this might be just around the place under 10mph so a little less "rake" will be fine, if not better, custom by crash.

However the forks look dead original and unbent, so they would have to be really stout to transfer enough impact to the frame to alter the geometry of the head tube without bending the forks.

Originally this probably had steel wheel?

Would they transfer more impact than light alloys like Araya?
Old 11-08-22, 08:12 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Somewhat bizarre was the total lack of wear in the races built in to the axle, no visible wear, must be Kryptonite.
Races built into the axle? Did you perhaps mean the hub's cups?
Old 11-08-22, 08:27 AM
McCycle

Yes, the hub's cups, commonly called bearing races in ball bearing applications, although we have "cones" on the axle, in a caged situation both inner/outer parts are races.

Last edited by McCycle; 11-08-22 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-08-22, 08:57 AM
Hondo6

Yes, the hub's cups, commonly called bearing races in ball bearing applications, although we have "cones" on the axle, in a caged situation both inner/outer parts are races.

Well aware of the fact that both cups and cones are technically bearing races, thanks.

However, a hub and an axle are two different parts - and you did refer above to "races built in to the axle", not the hub.

While there are some bike applications (e.g., cup and cone bottom bracket axles, often also referred to as spindles - some accepted definitions of "axle" allow an axle to rotate) that do indeed have integrated races (cones), I've never seen that type of axle used in a freewheel hub. Hence my question.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-08-22 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-22, 04:39 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I've done it with a torch, but never brute force, didn't think it would work.
We acquired a couple of "mountain bikes" that had been severely front-ended - I tied each bike between two cars and pulled it straight, both frame and fork at once. I wouldn't try that with a bike that was built with good quality hard steel tubing, but these bikes were made of cheese and didn't mind.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-12-22, 09:36 AM
McCycle

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Well aware of the fact that both cups and cones are technically bearing races, thanks.

However, a hub and an axle are two different parts - and you did refer above to "races built in to the axle", not the hub.

While there are some bike applications (e.g., cup and cone bottom bracket axles, often also referred to as spindles - some accepted definitions of "axle" allow an axle to rotate) that do indeed have integrated races (cones), I've never seen that type of axle used in a freewheel hub. Hence my question.
Meant to say the "races built into the axle housing" in original post. Sorry about that.
Old 11-12-22, 01:31 PM
Hondo6

Meant to say the "races built into the axle housing" in original post. Sorry about that.
De nada. Mistakes happen - especially when it comes to omitted words or caracters.

Was kinda hoping you were being literal, though. Always like to see something novel - and that would have qualified.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-12-22, 03:58 PM
McCycle

Axle is together now, dealing with shifting issues and wheel straightness, need to replace some frozen spokes on the freewheel side so waiting on Park FR1 tool in mail.

Anyone sitting on a gross of unneeded 15ga-1.8 310mm spokes?

I don't care for the double butted DB Smith spokes I received in the mail, too modern looking, too flexible.
Old 11-17-22, 05:14 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
It's near impossible to log on this site, the computer generated passwords are deemed invalid, over and over and over again.

Trying to post in response sent me back down the same rabbit hole of password resets again.

Yes, 131mm axle for 120mm ODL, near unobtainium.
If you had actually searched for an axle - and actually perused the pages offered by Google and the like beyond page 1, you would know that I have tons of traditional 10 x 1 hollow axles in stock for super duper utlra cheap that can be cut down to any size.

But instead, I'll let you pay Amazon and eBay 7.99 plus shipping for a .50 cent part.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 11-21-22, 07:49 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
... in like Flint.
FBinNY, your answers are super helpful and I appreciate your posts. That said, "in like Flint" hits me right in the OCD.

It's "In like Flynn". The phrase ‘In Like Flynn’ means that you have been quickly and / or emphatically successful, often in a romantic context. Example of Use: “How was your date with Sue?” Answer: “I was in like Flynn.” 'In like Flynn' is a direct reference to actor Errol Flynn, who was famous for his romantic roles in Hollywood films as well as for his exciting, romantic private life. That last sentence is off the web and significantly understates the, errrr, "excitement" (unless you find the accusation of statuatory **** of a 15 and a 17 year old "exciting").

Anyway, my task of reviewing the internet and correcting errors (some of the stuff on the internet is wrong! I know!) continues.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 11-21-22, 12:50 PM
McCycle

Lol lol lol

In like Flint ;]

I grew up on Erol, that swashbuckling hero. I remember feeling particularly gay leaving the theater, in the literal sense, euphoric.
Old 11-21-22, 07:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
FBinNY, your answers are super helpful and I appreciate your posts. That said, "in like Flint" hits me right in the OCD.......
I know that you're right in the general sense. However, old as I am, I'm not old enough to be a Flynn fan. I am (was) a James Coburn fan, so I prefer his Movies' play on the phrase.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-22-22, 06:43 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I know that you're right in the general sense. However, old as I am, I'm not old enough to be a Flynn fan. I am (was) a James Coburn fan, so I prefer his Movies' play on the phrase.
Ah, I completely missed that! Errol was before my time - I'm much more in the Coburn time frame myself. "In Like Flint". 1967. In which Z.O.W.I.E. is discredited and our heros defeat the evil feminists (all of whom are incredibly well put together, and often appear in bikinis and mini-skirts - muy feminista!). They don't make them like that any more.

Touché, FB. I salute you and apologize for missing your lead.

I had to look up what ZOWIE stood for....
Old 11-22-22, 06:50 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Ah, I completely missed that! Errol was before my time - I'm much more in the Coburn time frame myself. "In Like Flint". 1967. In which Z.O.W.I.E. is discredited and our heros defeat the evil feminists (all of whom are incredibly well put together, and often appear in bikinis and mini-skirts - muy feminista!). They don't make them like that any more.

Touché, FB. I salute you and apologize for missing your lead.

I had to look up what ZOWIE stood for....
If you are from the James Coburn era, surely you remember Batman.
Old 11-22-22, 07:08 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If you are from the James Coburn era, surely you remember Batman.
In the movie, ZOWIE was an acronym similar to U.N.C.L.E., C.H.A.O.S, etc. Zonal Organization for World IntElligence. The good guys in the movie.