Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Touring bike, help identifying it

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 06-02-22, 08:49 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Does anyone have a clue, if this is in fact a touring bike and/or which model. Owner asking for $120 and its 12 speed and 24 inch "diagonal" size. I imagine the stem and bar are not original

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-02-22 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 09:27 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
Seems like a decent bike at a fair price. Not sure of the model but some real expersts should chime in shortly with the answers.
Old 06-03-22, 05:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a mid-1980s Bianchi Bici II, which was an upper entry level, sports/recreational model. It has been modified with a riser stem, flat handlebar, new brake levers, wider saddle and rack. Essentailly, it has be converted to a commuter style bicycle. The price is fair for the market but it is nowhere near a 24" frame.
Old 06-03-22, 08:06 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Definitely not a touring bike. By the mid 1980s, a touring bike would typically have a triple crankset, cantilever brakes, braze ons for top rear rack mounting; and would often have mid fork braze ons for a front rack, longer chain stays and bar end shifters, multiple bottle braze ons including one on the bottom of the down tube. Many touring models would not have this complete list, but they would have several of these features.

The Velosport you posted has many of these features.

I've seen sellers use many terms to describe their bikes, often they are incorrect. Touring is one of those words.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-03-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 08:40 AM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by wrk101
Definitely not a touring bike. By the mid 1980s, a touring bike would typically have a triple crankset, cantilever brakes, braze ons for top rear rack mounting; and would often have mid fork braze ons for a front rack, longer chain stays and bar end shifters, multiple bottle braze ons including one on the bottom of the down tube. Many touring models would not have this complete list, but they would have several of these features.

The Velosport you posted has many of these features.

I've seen sellers use many terms to describe their bikes, often they are incorrect. Touring is one of those words.
I thought it would be a Randonneur, but it is nowhere near but I believe that Randonneur even themselves only had double crankset and I did find a similiar Randonneur from 80s posted on the forum that shared the rear derailleur but that was it
Old 06-03-22, 08:44 AM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle appears to be a mid-1980s Bianchi Bici II, which was an upper entry level, sports/recreational model. It has been modified with a riser stem, flat handlebar, new brake levers, wider saddle and rack. Essentailly, it has be converted to a commuter style bicycle. The price is fair for the market but it is nowhere near a 24" frame.
Thanks sir for your time identifying it, yeah I was skeptical about it being a touring bike and owner still insisting its a touring bike and a 24'' frame.
Old 06-03-22, 11:12 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,358 Times in 7,194 Posts
Just for reference, here's a photo of a Bianchi Randonneur

Old 06-03-22, 01:59 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Very nice bike! Yes has touring geometry. Here is a funny message from the owner