Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta pump to schrader valve

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 07:50 PM
sdh02005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Sorry to post this because part of me feels like this is already answered all over the place, but I haven't been able to answer my question yet. My wife has a great pump that pumps to Presta only, and I recently started biking on a bike with Schrader valves. I had been using a neighbors pump, but we moved, and now I need to figure out what to do next. I see dozens of adds to convert Schrader pumps to Presta valves, and even managed to buy myself an adapter that goes the wrong way of what I need. So, are there adapters that make a pump that pumps Presta valves work on Schrader tires? Alternatively, if that market is slim or only makes products that don't work well, should I just get a Schrader pump? Thanks.

Steven
Old 07-18-13, 08:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Yes there are PV to SV adaptors. or you can sometimes make one by cutting the SV head out of a hose, and pushing the barb up into your PV pump head. (not all DIY combinations work).

Of course, your 1st mistake was moving without checking out the pump availability first.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-18-13, 08:47 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every pump I've ever seen has a double sided end on it to work with both, you just unscrew the end, pop the little piece out and turn it the other direction. All bike pumps aren't like that? It seems to me Schrader-only would be more likely.
Old 07-18-13, 09:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Every pump I've ever seen has a double sided end on it to work with both, .....
All this proves is that you've lived a sheltered life as far as pumps go. Many top quality Presta Valve pumps are PV only, and use a simple push on head like this one.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-18-13, 09:25 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
All this proves is that you've lived a sheltered life as far as pumps go. Many top quality Presta Valve pumps are PV only, and use a simple push on head like this one.
Yeah, too sheltered, I guess. I'd still unscrew the end of that thing and check to make sure.
Old 07-18-13, 10:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dead presta tube , keep the valve,, , get a schrader thumb-lock pump head , on a hose..

hose clamp on the other end to secure the presta stem . in the hose..

thumb-lock S/V head will push the check valve open in the schrader stem,

check valve in PV stem will still keep the air in between strokes, from hand pumps.

Floor pumps have a check valve in them too..

In 2 nd example. , one thing the PV to SV adapter wont do is hold the spring valve core open ,
so you have to overcome the spring with every pump stroke .

so pressure gage reading, will be all over the place, not much meaning ..
save for what the air-pressure in the hose is.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-19-13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 10:23 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdh02005
Hi,

Sorry to post this because part of me feels like this is already answered all over the place, but I haven't been able to answer my question yet. My wife has a great pump that pumps to Presta only, and I recently started biking on a bike with Schrader valves. I had been using a neighbors pump, but we moved, and now I need to figure out what to do next. I see dozens of adds to convert Schrader pumps to Presta valves, and even managed to buy myself an adapter that goes the wrong way of what I need. So, are there adapters that make a pump that pumps Presta valves work on Schrader tires? Alternatively, if that market is slim or only makes products that don't work well, should I just get a Schrader pump? Thanks. Steven
Steven -

Time to get with the program and convert the bike to presta. A pair of presta tubes and a couple of rim adapters would be well under USD10 total and make the bike easier to pump up...and it look a bit more modern also.

/K
Old 07-19-13, 08:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You could also install a Schrader or combination Schrader/Presta head onto the hose of your current pump.
Old 07-19-13, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Yeah, too sheltered, I guess. I'd still unscrew the end of that thing and check to make sure.
I agree with you. The number of pumps that are presta only pales in comparison to the number of pumps that will do schrader and presta. The chuck that FBinNY linked to is an adapter that looks like it screws onto the schrader end of their pump. Here's the Lezyne link. The $10 price should have been a clue.

See if the pump head can be taken apart sdh02005.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-19-13, 09:14 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, without exceeding $14, you could do a number of things.

1) You could certainly find an adapter for your tube valves.
2) You could get a couple of new presta tubes for your wheels
3) You could go to walmart and get a pump with a head with one hole for each valve. I've got one and it works plenty well enough.

I'd recommend switching to presta tubes because the valves are so much nicer to deal with - it seems like you already know that from your wife's bike. Still, I know it can be hard to dispose of something even so basic as a tube if there's nothing technically wrong with it. I'd say get a pump that suits both and switch to new tubes as you need them.
Old 07-19-13, 09:17 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree with you. The number of pumps that are presta only pales in comparison to the number of pumps that will do schrader and presta. The chuck that FBinNY linked to is an adapter that looks like it screws onto the schrader end of their pump. ......
While they aren't the most common these days, PV only pumps do exist, which I was simply pointing out in response to License2I11's query about the existence of PV only heads. I wasn't making specific reference to the OPs pump because I gave the him enough credit to assume that he knew how his own pump worked.

In any case, I posted a link to the first push-on head I found just to show the style. Here'a s link to a Silca push-on PV head that's been out there for 40+ years. Others use similar heads.

So the OP has choices--- he can see if his head is in fact convertible, buy the adapter he asked about in the first place (see my link in the first response), buy a new dual head with a barb and mount it onto his hose, or make an adaptor. Or buy a new pump, or find a new neighbor.

Old 07-19-13, 04:29 PM
sdh02005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every pump I've ever seen has a double sided end on it to work with both, you just unscrew the end, pop the little piece out and turn it the other direction. All bike pumps aren't like that? It seems to me Schrader-only would be more likely.
Thank you all so much for your help. First off, feel like a even bigger idiot from when I started, because as many of you have noted, with a simple opening of my wife's pump I found it works with Schrader, too, so my tired are pumped and ready to go.

Also, thanks for the tip on converting to Presta valves. I'll give that a shot just to see how they work. Certainly can't hurt.

Again, thank you all for the help.
Old 07-19-13, 04:38 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

While they aren't the most common these days, PV only pumps do exist, which I was simply pointing out in response to License2I11's query about the existence of PV only heads. I wasn't making specific reference to the OPs pump because I gave the him enough credit to assume that he knew how his own pump worked.
Give it up, FB. Presta only pumps are almost as rare as hen's teeth. You are far more likely to run across a switchable pump than you are to run across a pump that does only presta or only schrader. So likely, in fact, that the first response to sdh02005's problem should have been the one that License2I11 gave. If that didn't fix the problem, then you go to checking for presta only pumps. In all things, it's best to apply Occam's razor.

Your way only confused the poor guy.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-19-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 04:47 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give it up, FB. Presta only pumps are almost as rare as hen's teeth. You are far more likely to run across a switchable pump than you are to run across a pump that does only presta or only schrader. So likely, in fact, that the first response to sdh02005's problem should have been the one that License2I11 gave. If that didn't fix the problem, then you go to checking for presta only pumps.
Yeah, well that's only if you're sheltered, like somewhere north of the Bronx, as far as pumps go.
Old 07-19-13, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Give it up, FB. Presta only pumps are almost as rare as hen's teeth. .
Nothing to give up, I don't have a dog in the fight.

The OP asked about a PV to SV adapter and in post #2 , I put up a link to one a link to one. The only "mistake" was in taking the OP's request at face value and giving s simple straightforward answer.

Later License2I11 posted that in his experience all pumps were dual head, followed by "All bike pumps aren't like that?" Since he followed with the question, I answered it saying that PV only pumps exist, which they do.

You and License are trying to make a fight out of nothing, so feel free to do so. I'm out.

BTW- the OP did solve his problem (without my help) but that's what this forum should be about.

Old 07-19-13, 05:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
Back in the day we "in the know guys" would carry a "damsel in distress device" in out tool kit. It was a SV air chuck from a floor pump with a PV valve hose clamped into the hose. Small (but not as small as the Silca that FB linked to) and effective. As all us cool guys used presta valves (on our sew ups) and all the gals used SV on their 70lbs/sq/inch 27" gum walls we used our devices any time we could get away with it. The longer one's device was the more impressive the gal got... Andy (who still carries a DIDD in his bag and won't say how long it is)
Old 07-19-13, 05:51 PM
cyccommute 

Nothing to give up, I don't have a dog in the fight.

The OP asked about a PV to SV adapter and in post #2 , I put up a link to one a link to one. The only "mistake" was in taking the OP's request at face value and giving s simple straightforward answer.

Later License2I11 posted that in his experience all pumps were dual head, followed by "All bike pumps aren't like that?" Since he followed with the question, I answered it saying that PV only pumps exist, which they do.

You and License are trying to make a fight out of nothing, so feel free to do so. I'm out.

BTW- the OP did solve his problem (without my help) but that's what this forum should be about.
There's a whole lot of barking going on for someone without a dog in the fight No, you shouldn't have taken sdh02005's first post at face value. License2I11 and I both got that his problem was one of not understanding what he was asking. Again, Occam's razor serves quite nicely. His problem had a simple solution, i.e. check the pump first, before you go looking for something more complicated.