Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped Threads on Solid Axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 03:23 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts

Somehow, I managed to strip some threads on a solid hub axle on the drive side.
The nut takes a couple of turns and then releases. I can take the nut off no problem.
These are vintage British hubs, pretty rare. I suppose I can try to take the hub apart and
adjust the spindle to move it a few millimeters to the drive side and hope something catches.
Is that my best route? Or try some J.B. Weld?
Old 04-27-21, 03:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
JB Weld won't do much but to lock the nut in place. Can you determine the axle threading? I suspect 3/8" x 26TPI (or 9.5mm x 26) as these were very common back then. If so then a replacement axle (and nut as it's likely also thread damaged too) should be easy to find, being the most current common solid spec. Andy
Old 04-27-21, 03:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
perhaps a silly question, but did you try a new nut? if the threads are stripped and not too bad, you may be able to repair them. can take a picture?

i wouldn't use jb weld and expect it to hold very well under that kind of use. iow's, it's not at all designed for it
Old 04-27-21, 04:35 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I bought an old Campy hub on EBay and the axle was stripped. I used a thread file and rolled the axle into the file, instead of clamping the axle down and filing it. I was able to restore the threads and the cone and locknut can now spin on and off with no resistance. Maybe you can try using a thread file and using a new nut as previously mentioned.

I had posted these pictures in the “What have you been wrenching on lately?” thread.

The axle was stripped and the cone nut could not be removed.

I twisted the axle forward and backwards across the file to restore the threads.

The axle after the repair.

Cleaned up and ready to be re-assembled.
Likes For momoman:
Old 04-27-21, 08:00 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Andrew, Yes, those are the correct specs. I'll make sure I ask about the threading if I buy something.

Thook, I tried two different axle nuts (both of which worked fine on it before). I'll try to get a photo
when I take the wheel off. Thanks for the tip on the JB Weld.

Momoman, I had not heard of a thread file. I was looking at possibly investing in a thread die tool,
but the file seems less expensive. I'll have to really examine the threads to see the extent of the damage.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 04-27-21, 08:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Old time LBSs have/had the Bicycle Research thread chasers. These were nut like things that would not cut or remove material but try to reform thread profiles. You might call around and get lucky. But the cost of a replacement axle is pretty low. Andy
Old 04-27-21, 09:09 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op in your town they'll have a bin full of salvaged axles.
Old 04-27-21, 09:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Andrew, Yes, those are the correct specs. I'll make sure I ask about the threading if I buy something.

Thook, I tried two different axle nuts (both of which worked fine on it before). I'll try to get a photo
when I take the wheel off. Thanks for the tip on the JB Weld.

Momoman, I had not heard of a thread file. I was looking at possibly investing in a thread die tool,
but the file seems less expensive. I'll have to really examine the threads to see the extent of the damage.
if what Andrew says is correct on the thread sizing, to my recollection, any auto parts store should have the size in their thread repair rental kits (comes with files and chasers). i say rental, but it's really free, if you aren't aware. you get your money back when you return the tool/s
Old 04-28-21, 05:26 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
if what Andrew says is correct on the thread sizing, to my recollection, any auto parts store should have the size in their thread repair rental kits (comes with files and chasers). i say rental, but it's really free, if you aren't aware. you get your money back when you return the tool/s
As far as I know 3/8 x 26 has few uses outside the bicycle world. A 3/8 UNF thread would be 24 tpi so I don't know if auto parts stores carry such a thing.
Old 04-28-21, 07:03 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Here is a photo of the British Hub Company Eurekas, from the 1950's. I'll take the rear apart and get some specs on the spindle.
Andrew R. Stewart, thanks. I'll ask about the thread chaser over at the co-op, which is the best vintage-knowledgeable shop in the area. If I buy new, I have to be sure I'm getting the correct specs.

Andrewclaus, I'll also ask them about axles.

Thook, I did not know that. That is definitely an option for me to keep-in-mind.

Dan Burkhart, thanks. I won't be too surprised, then, if they don't have it.

Old 04-28-21, 07:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by thook

What! Did you actually say that someone should buy a product, use it then expect their refund and refund??? Sorry but this attitude is just really bad and IMO unethical. As a lifer in the LBS and retail I would see tht we were out of stock and or too bust to ever help this consumer again if they tried this. It's boarder line stealing, plane and simple. Andy
Old 04-28-21, 07:45 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What! Did you actually say that someone should buy a product, use it then expect their refund and refund??? Sorry but this attitude is just really bad and IMO unethical. As a lifer in the LBS and retail I would see tht we were out of stock and or too bust to ever help this consumer again if they tried this. It's boarder line stealing, plane and simple. Andy
No. Auto parts stores offer loaner tools for free. You pay for the tools, use them, return them and get your deposit back.

Advance Auto Parts Tool Loaner Program

Autozone loan-a-tool

edit: I corrected the name on the Advance Auto Parts link above. Also added the Autozone link.

Last edited by momoman; 04-28-21 at 09:30 AM.
Likes For momoman:
Old 04-28-21, 08:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-...e-%20taps-dies
Old 04-28-21, 11:04 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
As far as I know 3/8 x 26 has few uses outside the bicycle world. A 3/8 UNF thread would be 24 tpi so I don't know if auto parts stores carry such a thing.
you may be right about that. now i'm curious, though. gonna have to find out
Old 04-28-21, 11:10 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

you misunderstand, friend. i clarified because rental usually implies you don't get your money back.
it's really fantastic that the stores do it because it saves the backyard mechanic a boat ton of money on the repairs requiring very specialized tools. quite often, those tools are expensive to buy though you may only ever use a tool like that once or twice in the life of your vehicle
Old 04-28-21, 01:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I do not understand how removing metal from a threaded shaft which has worn/stripped to the point that a nut will not hold will be of any help. The thread form may be restored but the diameter will be reduced. I can see how rolling metal back into shape as Andrew Stewart suggests might work, though.
Old 04-28-21, 02:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I do not understand how removing metal from a threaded shaft which has worn/stripped to the point that a nut will not hold will be of any help. The thread form may be restored but the diameter will be reduced. I can see how rolling metal back into shape as Andrew Stewart suggests might work, though.
sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but not an uncommon practice. if it's a hard to find part (like with really old cars/bikes) it's worth a try...but always use a new nut. if it were situation where it's a single bolt/side holding all the (high) tension, it may not be a great idea. depends on torque and shank diameter and material. (hardened vs soft steel) in this case, though, he has the other end of the axle to split the difference on torque and axles are pretty hard.
sometimes (not necessarily on his axle) you can recut threads and go to a slightly smaller diameter. i've done it different situations, just not real often. eg...exhaust manifold studs come to mind. it can be easier to cut/rethread a frozen stud vs breaking it off and having to drill it out.
maybe my reply here is all TMI, but i'm feeling chatty on this rainy day
Old 04-28-21, 06:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

It seems that I jumped to a conclusion about thook's comments. I have not heard of auto parts stores renting tools before, tool rental outfits yes but not otherwise retail shops. I take back my strong comments, sorry. Andy
Old 04-28-21, 07:31 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I’ve never done this on a bicycle, but I have done this for concrete anchors and column anchor nuts/bolts. So take for what it’s worth.

get an extra nut of the appropriate size. Screw it halfway unto an extra axle. So half the nut is not threaded. Cut straight down making 2 slots halfway down the nut - the half that isn’t threaded. Thread the rest of the way down, this will debur your cut and allow the cut side to thread onto the axle you say is stripped. You’ve now made a makeshift thread chaser. Thread it down, slotted side first onto the stripped male threads. It will clean up the threads if they aren’t too bad.

If it really is stripped and not just banged or galled, get a new axle.
Old 04-28-21, 07:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’ve never done this on a bicycle, but I have done this for concrete anchors and column anchor nuts/bolts. So take for what it’s worth.

get an extra nut of the appropriate size. Screw it halfway unto an extra axle. So half the nut is not threaded. Cut straight down making 2 slots halfway down the nut - the half that isn’t threaded. Thread the rest of the way down, this will debur your cut and allow the cut side to thread onto the axle you say is stripped. You’ve now made a makeshift thread chaser. Thread it down, slotted side first onto the stripped male threads. It will clean up the threads if they aren’t too bad.

If it really is stripped and not just banged or galled, get a new axle.
This is the principle of the Bicycle Research thread chasers. Except they are hardened and have better cut face finishing. Andy
Old 04-28-21, 08:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Because sometimes the threads might be riding on top of each other and sometimes steel is plastic or springy enough to allow it.
Old 04-28-21, 08:12 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

This is the principle of the Bicycle Research thread chasers. Except they are hardened and have better cut face finishing. Andy
For sure. The correct die would be great also.

My experience is just not always in the shop with all the correct tools. More like “Ah shoot, quick grab the torch/grinder/portaband before the inspector comes around.”
Old 04-28-21, 08:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Another thought. Every time a fastener is screwed in or out it is losing a tiny bit of material. On the bolts that hold AH64 driveshafts together there is a check called “nutation torque check.” Basically the bolt threads into a stover type thread nut plate. If it threads in too easy the bolts and nut plates get replaced.
Old 04-29-21, 02:17 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

It seems that I jumped to a conclusion about thook's comments. I have not heard of auto parts stores renting tools before, tool rental outfits yes but not otherwise retail shops. I take back my strong comments, sorry. Andy
no problem
Old 07-11-21, 05:41 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Update: Since I had no problem getting the nut off (it would just not thread completely on), I took the hub apart and moved the axle over to the damaged (drive) side a bit, maybe 7mm. Now, the nut threads right on. Somehow, it threaded past the slightly-damaged threads and made it to the area of the good ones that were then revealed. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. They were almost necessary, and might come in handy in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.