Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today?

Old 10-17-21, 07:39 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Although, I'm always afraid that too much security and the thief feels if they can't have it, the owner can't either and vandalized the property. Good luck with the project.
I agree with you… That’s how I lost my tires last month.
Old 10-17-21, 07:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
after taking the granddaughter to work my wife wanted carls Junior so her precious got safe ride home.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-18-21, 06:51 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
I had been riding with a pedal that I had accidentally cross-threaded into my non-drive side crank arm for quite a while. It was really jammed in there, and was never going to be coming out again, so I finally got around to buying a new non-drive side crank arm and a new set of pedals which I kind of needed anyway as the pedals I had were pretty ancient. Installed the new crank arm and pedals without a hitch in only a few minutes.
Old 10-18-21, 09:11 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
After getting caught in the rain a few days ago I gave my bike a good wash and chain lube today. No photos so you'll have to take my word for it.
Old 10-18-21, 10:29 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Filler to get to last page
Old 10-20-21, 05:43 AM
The Chemist

Was having no end of trouble with the quick release for my seatpost recently - simply could not get it to hold the seatpost in place properly. Yesterday it came to a head with the aluminum lever snapping when I was trying to force it into position. So today I removed the quick release skewer from the clamp entirely and replaced it with a suitable nut and bolt that I was able to scrounge up. SO much better. My seatpost is now very firmly in the place I want it.

I did order a couple of cheapish seatpost clamps online as well (one with quick release, the other not) so if my bodged solution turns out to not work well, I can always install an entirely new clamp.
Old 10-20-21, 08:21 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
after taking the granddaughter to work my wife wanted carls Junior so her precious got safe ride home.
so, does the little tyke work in the coal mine or in a meat packing plant?

Otto
Old 10-20-21, 08:22 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by ofajen
so, does the little tyke work in the coal mine or in a meat packing plant?

Otto
oops. she works hard at exercising us.
Old 10-20-21, 09:41 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

So the Karate Monkey is basically done though I may try a really wide riser
Old 10-20-21, 06:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I swapped out 35mm Herse file tread rubber in favor of 42mm Ultradynamico Rosé JFF tires in anticipation of the seasonal weather change. The weather in SE MI has been great and will probably remain pretty decent for awhile, but I had time today, have been off the bike/trainer for two weeks now, and have another week of appendectomy recovery before I’m clear to ride again, so it’s gonna be awhile before I’m out riding anyway, so it seemed a good call. I was also really eager to see what tan sidewalls looked like on this bike, so that pushed the agenda, too! Unfortunately, I cannot say I love the look, but I am looking forward to getting it out on gravel, mud, and snow this winter.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-20-21, 07:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie

OMG an electric tandem - just like I predicted! What I would have given to get an extra boost with my wife on the back during 5-9% climbs. I see brake levers for the stoker which I find unusual since the pilot has a much better vantage point of when to apply the binders. Please explain.

Old 10-20-21, 08:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by rsbob
OMG an electric tandem - just like I predicted! What I would have given to get an extra boost with my wife on the back during 5-9% climbs. I see brake levers for the stoker which I find unusual since the pilot has a much better vantage point of when to apply the binders. Please explain.
there are few commercial ones out there. this one was more of a cruiser bike. it has the best motor a bosch setup but everything else was fairly low end. but it was like 4400 and we got it on sale for 3700. horrible gearing since the motor cuts off at 19 but it was geared to about 27. so I worked out the gearing so we spin at at about 22 but can climb 20% grades with a lot of work. did one that was 25 fo two blocks about did not make it up. also the wife was spinning 10 rpms faster then me. now it is 2 rpms slower. portland has a lot of hills and we climb them all. wee cruise about 18.5mph right where the motor is just using like 7 watts per mile. we changed it up so its more of a touring type setup not so upright and a much needed much better brakes. ya it was weird with the back hand brake but its great on long steep descents. even with Deore 4 piston and 203 rotors the back can get a gummed up rotor from the heat.
Old 10-20-21, 09:28 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
3d printed SWAT mount for garmin varia radar / tail light.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 10-20-21, 10:44 PM
kahn

Since I can't seem to get to the last page other than coming without logging in!!!

re: Electric tandem. Within the last few months, friends got an electrified Bike Friday tandem and just returned from a trip on the bike trail from Pittsburgh to Cumberland (??) Md. And just today the stoker (she) said she wanted a rear brake from when the captain (he) let's it rip too much. And I, too, was interested in the stoker having a brake!

re: Varia, just yesterday, on my ride to Edmonds, my Edge stopped communicating with the Varia. I was almost lost with no radar. The light and radar obviously worked because the light would blink when cars approached. I did not mess during the ride since I did not want to potentially lose the data but I have to try pairing them again, I guess.
Old 10-21-21, 05:31 AM
The Chemist

Originally Posted by chaadster
I swapped out 35mm Herse file tread rubber in favor of 42mm Ultradynamico Rosé JFF tires in anticipation of the seasonal weather change. The weather in SE MI has been great and will probably remain pretty decent for awhile, but I had time today, have been off the bike/trainer for two weeks now, and have another week of appendectomy recovery before I’m clear to ride again, so it’s gonna be awhile before I’m out riding anyway, so it seemed a good call. I was also really eager to see what tan sidewalls looked like on this bike, so that pushed the agenda, too! Unfortunately, I cannot say I love the look, but I am looking forward to getting it out on gravel, mud, and snow this winter.

That looks really sharp. I love it.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 10-21-21, 08:22 AM
fooferdoggie 

Since I can't seem to get to the last page other than coming without logging in!!!

re: Electric tandem. Within the last few months, friends got an electrified Bike Friday tandem and just returned from a trip on the bike trail from Pittsburgh to Cumberland (??) Md. And just today the stoker (she) said she wanted a rear brake from when the captain (he) let's it rip too much. And I, too, was interested in the stoker having a brake!

re: Varia, just yesterday, on my ride to Edmonds, my Edge stopped communicating with the Varia. I was almost lost with no radar. The light and radar obviously worked because the light would blink when cars approached. I did not mess during the ride since I did not want to potentially lose the data but I have to try pairing them again, I guess.
if you jsut put the garmin to sleep it will cause issues so turn it off once in awhile. sometimes you have to remove it and repair too. ANT+ lights can be finicky.
Old 10-21-21, 11:04 AM
kahn

@fooferdoggie

"if you jsut put the garmin to sleep it will cause issues so turn it off once in awhile. sometimes you have to remove it and repair too. ANT+ lights can be finicky."

re: Varia - I've the radar/light combo. I occasionally get a prompt on the Edge: "Lights are not connected to the network" or something similar. Do the radar and the light have to be paired separately or it is one unit?
Old 10-21-21, 11:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I should glue 4 (or more) tyres on wheels, but nice weather means a ride and yard work. Maybe tomorrow.

here’s a pic - but it still hasn’t happened.

Nice thing about a bunch of bikes is that deferred maintenance does not affect the ride schedule - which should be the priority. Or so it is assumed.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-21-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 11:30 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

Got a used ti railed flight saddle in the mail and put it on my bike.
Old 10-21-21, 01:20 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Ha! Today, I wiped most of the dirt off and then took it to the LBS to have the derailleurs adjusted (and, it turns out, to have the derailleur hanger straightened).
Old 10-21-21, 05:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

@fooferdoggie

"if you jsut put the garmin to sleep it will cause issues so turn it off once in awhile. sometimes you have to remove it and repair too. ANT+ lights can be finicky."

re: Varia - I've the radar/light combo. I occasionally get a prompt on the Edge: "Lights are not connected to the network" or something similar. Do the radar and the light have to be paired separately or it is one unit?
its somewhat two. the light and radar have separate connections. so you can control what the light does while the radar is on. .
Old 10-22-21, 12:32 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The "Has anyone ever married their bike?"thread was closed so I could not put my response, "SWM ISO Single speed 29er" response.
Old 10-22-21, 12:09 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
For going on 2 months nearly every day on a ride I've said to myself, "I really need to get this FD properly adjusted." Going from the large chainring to the middle it would sometimes drop to the small, getting from the small to the middle sometimes would require additional 'trimming' to make the change, a tiny bit of rubbing in some gear combinations.... But then I'd get home from my ride and forget, or have other more pressing things to do. Finally pulled out the stand and spent some time with it this AM, then went out for a chilly, hilly fall ride. Geez, so nice not to really even have to think about my FD shifts. I should've just done it weeks (and weeks) ago.
Old 10-22-21, 05:05 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Replaced aging rear tire with Conti GP5000 TL. It was fun putting it on the rim.
Old 10-23-21, 10:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Didn’t know that my Garmin HRM would pair with anything other than my Garmin device but wanted it to pair with Zwift. This meant I would have to buy a Wahoo compatible HRM, which is not a big deal, but already having one seemed ridiculous. So I ordered one on Amazon and as a lark just decided to see if my Garmin would pair with Zwift - and I don’t know what smoke and mirrors were used, but the app paired immediately. I cancelled the Amazon purchase. Oh happy day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.