Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where is it likely a hole in the wall used bike shop gets their inventory?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where is it likely a hole in the wall used bike shop gets their inventory?

Old 11-08-21, 07:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I would think doing a used bike shop would bring a lot more potential liability, unless you're really good at inspections and servicing. Same would go even for the ebay flipper-type. Quite unlike selling antiques.
At least with new, you have the backing of the bike brand you're authorized to sell.
Old 11-09-21, 11:53 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I would think doing a used bike shop would bring a lot more potential liability, unless you're really good at inspections and servicing. Same would go even for the ebay flipper-type. Quite unlike selling antiques.
At least with new, you have the backing of the bike brand you're authorized to sell.
Most of the used-bike outfits I've dealt with, and the bikes I've flipped myself tend to be more of the 'consumer-grade' recreation-type bikes, sold to folks who are looking for a bike to 'kick around' on, or, at most for basic transportation. It's not like a bicycle is a particularly complicated machine, nor are these particular bikes going to be subject to highly demanding use.

For individual sellers, the expectation it that the bikes are 'as-is' although, I try to make sure there's nothing significantly wrong with them (I wouldn't sell a bike i wouldn't ride, and anything that's in really bad shape typically becomes a parts donor for other bikes) Most people who go shopping second-hand gear aren't looking for warranty and after-sale support as their primary requirement; but you don't want to get a reputation for selling janky, over-priced junk as a seller, especially if you're a brick-and-mortar, or even a home-based reseller.

Me, I flip and sell bikes on an 'as found' basis, to raise funds for other bike-related projects, so it's definitely not a business, I just sell the occasional bike from time to time.
The guys at the shop, are all about putting good, reliable, affordable bikes into the community, and the stuff they sell is usually basic, but top-notch, as far as condition. They put their name on those bikes, and know that the reputation of the shop goes along with that.
Old 11-09-21, 06:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Most of the used-bike outfits I've dealt with, and the bikes I've flipped myself tend to be more of the 'consumer-grade' recreation-type bikes, sold to folks who are looking for a bike to 'kick around' on, or, at most for basic transportation. It's not like a bicycle is a particularly complicated machine, nor are these particular bikes going to be subject to highly demanding use.

For individual sellers, the expectation it that the bikes are 'as-is' although, I try to make sure there's nothing significantly wrong with them (I wouldn't sell a bike i wouldn't ride, and anything that's in really bad shape typically becomes a parts donor for other bikes) Most people who go shopping second-hand gear aren't looking for warranty and after-sale support as their primary requirement; but you don't want to get a reputation for selling janky, over-priced junk as a seller, especially if you're a brick-and-mortar, or even a home-based reseller.

Me, I flip and sell bikes on an 'as found' basis, to raise funds for other bike-related projects, so it's definitely not a business, I just sell the occasional bike from time to time.
The guys at the shop, are all about putting good, reliable, affordable bikes into the community, and the stuff they sell is usually basic, but top-notch, as far as condition. They put their name on those bikes, and know that the reputation of the shop goes along with that.
Never exclude the possibility that some people will attempt a lawsuit if they think there's even a tiny chance they could win. Your expectations may not match theirs.
Old 11-09-21, 08:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Never exclude the possibility that some people will attempt a lawsuit if they think there's even a tiny chance they could win.
And most will quickly realize that to actually litigate a liability case against someone who sold them a used bike is expensive, time-consuming, and seldom yields the outcome they fantasize about. Typically, purchases of used goods from private parties are "as is," and the buyer assumes all responsibility. Any shop selling bikes, whether new or used, is probably smart enough to carry commercial general and/or product liability insurance; it isn't very expensive.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-09-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 08:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Burning Man

Old 11-10-21, 06:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Rolla
And most will quickly realize that to actually litigate a liability case against someone who sold them a used bike is expensive, time-consuming, and seldom yields the outcome they fantasize about. Typically, purchases of used goods from private parties are "as is," and the buyer assumes all responsibility. Any shop selling bikes, whether new or used, is probably smart enough to carry commercial general and/or product liability insurance; it isn't very expensive.
Yeah, not sure. You buy a bike from an ebay seller with 500+ ratings (doesn't even have to be all or mostly bike sales). Is that seller a private party or a business?
Random example, this bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36361643670...YAAOSwIuNhi0p3
Old 11-10-21, 10:30 AM
Rolla

You buy a bike from an ebay seller with 500+ ratings (doesn't even have to be all or mostly bike sales). Is that seller a private party or a business?
Whether or not you are a "business" isn't determined by the number of sales you make. It's usually determined by whether you are selling items you have purchased for the purpose of reselling, or making items in order to sell them. If you are a business under those circumstances you should buy product liability insurance.

But Ironfish653, the poster you warned of possible lawsuits, stated that he "just sells the occasional bike from time to time," which makes him a private party selling "as is," and thus the buyer assumes responsibility.
Old 11-10-21, 10:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Rolla
Whether or not you are a "business" isn't determined by the number of sales you make. It's usually determined by whether you are selling items you have purchased for the purpose of reselling, or making items in order to sell them. If you are a business under those circumstances you should buy product liability insurance.

But Ironfish653, the poster you warned of possible lawsuits, stated that he "just sells the occasional bike from time to time," which makes him a private party selling "as is," and thus the buyer assumes responsibility.
Not sure. He uses the phrase 'flipping' and doing so to raise funds for other ventures. That sounds like a profit-making enterprise. Is this a business? I have no idea how this would be viewed in court if one of those flipped bikes had the brakes fail and the buyer ends up in traction for 6 months. All of course hypothetical -- all I'm suggesting is to be wary.
Old 11-10-21, 10:43 AM
Rolla

Not sure. He uses the phrase 'flipping' and doing so to raise funds for other ventures. That sounds like a profit-making enterprise. Is this a business? I have no idea how this would be viewed in court if one of those flipped bikes had the brakes fail and the buyer ends up in traction for 6 months. All of course hypothetical -- all I'm suggesting is to be wary.
And all I'm suggesting is that it's a lot easier to file a lawsuit than it is to win one.
Old 11-10-21, 10:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Rent a storefront and put a sign that says 'USED BIKES' above the door, and you will quickly have many people bringing you their unwanted bikes to sell. Some might be stolen, but second hand/thrift shops often have some policy in place to prevent this, such as requiring IDs for people selling their bikes, or working with local police to find bikes that have been reported stolen. Other stores may have lots of stolen bikes in stock and the owners are perfectly happy existing as evil sleazebags.

Another place to get used bikes is police auctions, although buying a lot of 25 bikes from a police auction may or may not get you a single ridable bike - most wind up in the custody of police after they are abandoned, and ridable bikes are seldom abandoned. Most bodies of water near cities will also give up untold numbers of bikes if dredged, and you definitely don't want a bike retrieved from the bottom of the ocean.
Old 11-10-21, 10:58 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
There'a a co-op in my burg that has a ton of used bikes for sale as well as new and old parts. They have about four or so mechanics working there at all times too. AFAIK, everything used is donated. Some bikes are repaired and sold, some broken down and sold as parts. Wouldn't take much to get a store like that going IMO.
Old 11-10-21, 01:34 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There were many such shops until Wal-Mart entered the market with cheap bikes from China. Most of the people I have dealt with are extremely reluctant to sell anything on Craigslist and have strangers come to their house. Others cannot be bothered and will sell it to a used bike shop or gift it to a charity. We have millions of Americans who can barely afford rent and food much less the expense of an automobile and cheap bicycles are very much a necessity for them and not a hobby.