Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When someone offers to return your stolen bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When someone offers to return your stolen bike

Old 01-18-22, 08:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Im confused, what is the worry? Buy the bike back. It's kind of like "extortion" but it's better than not having a bike.. is the worry that he will jump the kid for money or something?
That's mine, or that something else bad happens.

But, see above post.
Old 01-18-22, 08:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The one piece that doesn’t add up really well is the money the person with the bike paid for the stolen bike.

Even if it was $75 to $100, that is still enough to make me pretty ticked off.

It just seems like there is a back story to this.

John
The simplest explanation is he didn't pay for the bike.
Old 01-18-22, 11:18 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised. (Bike on their car, I think that is a Portland police station in the background.)

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-18-22, 11:20 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Conclusions:

(1) Possibly imperfect people are still capable of Doing the Right Thing.

(2) BikeIndex.org works remarkably well.

(3) Sleep with your bike and keep your leg wrapped around the top tube.

(4) WTF really happened?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-19-22, 03:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Conclusions:

(4) WTF really happened?
and at the same time

Possible explanation -- PWB knowingly looks for possible stolen bike - obtains the bike - then makes the effort to return to owner without personal gain but really wants a donation to be made.

wgscott wrote --- "I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised."

I am an extreme pessimist ALWAYS expecting the worst of any situation. My rational is I am always right and prepared for consequences OR pleasantly surprised = win-win

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 01-19-22 at 03:36 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 01-19-22, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Wow! Very surprising story.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-19-22, 05:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Glad he got the bike back. A rather odd and rare event. (reminder to self..finish entering data on my bikes on the site..)

May or may not matter to your son, but a little research may indicate the ASPCA is a better investment than the Humane Society.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-19-22, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Conclusions:

(4) WTF really happened?

Given the outcome, the most likely explanation to me is that the bike purchaser let himself get conned into believing a too-good-to-be-true deal was legitimate (suspension of disbelief in order to get a big payoff is how a lot of scams work--e.g., the lottery scam, a lot of people convince themselves they actually forgot they played the lottery they supposedly won). Obviously, once he knows it's stolen, it's absolutely worthless to him unless he's willing to risk being charged with a crime himself--he can't ride it because if he's caught with it, he's in possession of stolen property and he can't sell it as selling stolen property is itself a crime. If he stole this or bought it knowing it was stolen, I don't think there's any way he would have agreed to dropping it at the police station because the obvious way to ditch the stolen evidence if that was his only concern is just to discard it somewhere, like literally throw it into a ditch. The simplest explanation for why he brought it to the police station is he wanted to correct the harm caused by his mistake.

Do you know whether they gave the police a statement as to how they got the bike?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-19-22, 08:32 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
The simplest explanation is he didn't pay for the bike.
Yes, though I'd consider that fairly improbable. The thief likely didn't give it away for nothing on Offerup.

My guess would be the guy did buy it, and upon learning it was stolen he realized he couldn't ask for money without risking trouble for possession of stolen property. He might well be pissed off at himself but chose to do the right thing.

IMHO if he was the thief (or was connected to the thief) he wouldn't have contacted the owner - and if he was having trouble selling it he'd just throw it in a ditch or off a bridge somewhere.

Glad the bike found its way home. That's pretty rare AFAIK.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-19-22, 10:05 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by fishboat
Glad he got the bike back. A rather odd and rare event. (reminder to self..finish entering data on my bikes on the site..)

May or may not matter to your son, but a little research may indicate the ASPCA is a better investment than the Humane Society.
That was my sense, too, but he apparently specifically asked for Humane Society.
Old 01-19-22, 10:07 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you know whether they gave the police a statement as to how they got the bike?
Based on the timing, I am thinking no.

My kid says he told him he bought it out of the back of a van where he had gone to buy some advertised tools. (The bike hadn't been advertised yet.)
Old 01-19-22, 10:22 AM
tonybano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crazy story! Congrats on getting the bike back!
Likes For tonybano:
Old 01-19-22, 10:52 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Late in the night, he gets a text from someone saying they purchased his bike from offerup or something like that, offering to return it. No mention of money or identity. Apparently he purchased it from a van full of bikes, so I doubt this person was simultaneously naive enough to do that innocently but then also would get the news from BikeIndex.

What is the best way to proceed? Currently he has notified the police and arranged to meet in a well-lit grocery store parking lot along with several capable friends and a cop on "standby" (whatever that means).
I would hope the police would be interested in the provenance of that entire "van full of bikes;" they might all be stolen and lead to other burglary loot.
Old 01-19-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Based on the timing, I am thinking no.

My kid says he told him he bought it out of the back of a van where he had gone to buy some advertised tools. (The bike hadn't been advertised yet.)

That's oddly plausible, he advertises the not-stolen tools and doesn't have to post the ad for the stolen goods which he "just happens" to be carrying in his van. No doubt some story about how he's selling it for a neighbor who got tired of it sitting in his garage or whatever..
Old 01-19-22, 01:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I would hope the police would be interested in the provenance of that entire "van full of bikes;" they might all be stolen and lead to other burglary loot.
They aren't, and told him as much. Apparently there is a known bike "chop shop" around the corner from where he lives, and the neighbors even put up signs warning about it. It has gone on for years.
Old 01-19-22, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's oddly plausible, he advertises the not-stolen tools and doesn't have to post the ad for the stolen goods which he "just happens" to be carrying in his van. No doubt some story about how he's selling it for a neighbor who got tired of it sitting in his garage or whatever..
This is one reason I've been careful to only buy the C&V bikes I've acquired from people who 'talk bike', and specifically the bike I'm buying.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles