Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do a Tour in Europe together?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 01:29 PM
jswcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello my name Johan, I am a male 40 y/o from Sweden and I am planing to do my first tour since I was 19 (something I have been dreaming of doing for years). I have no firm plans yet but I was hoping to do a tour across Europe. preferably from Sweden to Turkey trough Eastern Europe (but that is just an idea and I am open to any other suggestions). Problem is that I do not have any friends (or family) who really shares my passion for cycling. And even though I don't mind spending time alone, I still think I would benefit to do the tour with a fellow traveller. That is why I am reaching out.

So if you have similar plans and wouldn't mind sharing them with someone like me, then I urge you send me a message or write in the thread.

I am not an experienced cyclist, I am a hobbyist only and I think my pace would be 60-100 km per day (with 1 day rest every now and then). I have maximum of six weeks to travel and I hope to start my tour in late May or early June (however I am flexible).
I am from Sweden, 40 y/o. I am married, 2 children and I have my own business, (therefor I can be flexible). I speak Swedish, English and some Russian (My wife is Ukrainian).

So drop me a line if you find this interesting or if you want to reach out.

Best regards, Johan from Sweden.
Old 01-26-22, 09:11 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Hi Johan,
If you have any interest in touring where it is actually nice and warm, I am Starting a tour in Naples (Italy) in late March. I plan to ferry over to Palermo (Sicily), Tour eastward to the backside of Italy (Brindisi) Ferry over to (Corfu island) and tour about the Peloponnese region of Greece and return to Naples.
Old 01-26-22, 02:14 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I am biking Scottland from Glasgow May 5th to May 22
Old 01-28-22, 05:55 AM
jswcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Headwind...
That sounds awesome, would you care to talk more about it.
Old 01-28-22, 05:56 AM
jswcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I am biking Scottland from Glasgow May 5th to May 22
Where do you plan to bike from Glasgow? What are your plans, it would be really cool to know more of what you plan to do.
Old 01-28-22, 01:32 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have a trip loosely planned for 2023 to ride from ~Monaco/Nice to Athens
Old 01-29-22, 01:38 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

I am a 61 yr old polite seasoned bike tourist from Arizona the USA. I plan to camp tour, using a pocket shower to maintain my hygiene. (I prefer to not cross the line between man and bum.) Depending on where I end afternoon, I would like to spend time checking out local attractions/ some instances, swimming in the Mediterranean/ beach lounging. I tend to grocery shop and eat prepared food/ fruit, but will be eating out as well, as opposed to doing tons of cooking. Sardinia may be in the cards time permitting.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 01-30-22, 07:04 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
I prefer to not cross the line between man and bum.
This best captures my feelings about touring. A shower and clean clothes is transformative. I chuckle when I hear people brag about how many days they've gone without washing up, or stealing packages of ketchup from a fast food restaurant.

I've spent a lot of time in Sardinia. Maybe I'll ride with you if you decide to include it in your plans.
Old 01-30-22, 10:46 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Originally Posted by jswcycle
Hello Headwind...
That sounds awesome, would you care to talk more about it.
Hi Johan,
When you wrote "talk more about it", could you be more specific about what aspect you want to hear about? I jumped into an introduction, because I thought you can have the greatest tour plans, but if you show up and the other person turns out to be a jerk or they tour with a piled high 100kg trailer, it's a problem.
About Sardinia: My thought is If I end up touring about Greece and end up back in Naples with time to spare, I could ferry over to Sardinia (and back). So the decision to tour Sardinia will not really be made until mid/ later part of the tour.
Old 01-30-22, 01:00 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
My best friend, who has also spent a great deal of time in Sardinia, mentioned to me just the other day about how Sardinia is one of those countries with a lot of so-called ancient aliens landmarks and such. Might be fun if you know what to look for.
Old 01-30-22, 04:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by jswcycle
Where do you plan to bike from Glasgow? What are your plans, it would be really cool to know more of what you plan to do.
Bike west to Oban and take ferry to the Outer Hebrides. Bike the entire Hebrides and take ferry to Ullapool. Bike to Inverness and and then time permitting bike back to Glasgow or take the train to Glasgow
Old 01-31-22, 09:59 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Sardinia

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
My best friend, who has also spent a great deal of time in Sardinia, mentioned to me just the other day about how Sardinia is one of those countries with a lot of so-called ancient aliens landmarks and such. Might be fun if you know what to look for.
Were you just interested in the Sardinia part of my tour? If you have interest in the whole enchilada, you can contact me directly at brian@ravellobikes.com
Old 02-02-22, 01:58 AM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
looking for touring partner

The other web site you can look for a touring partner is : https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/clas...&sub_locales=1
It's also a good site with allot of touring diaries/blogs. Navigation on the web site is not intuitive but LOTS of info to be found
Good luck finding a good partner to do the tour with.
You probably know but check out the Eurovelo Routes https://en.eurovelo.com/ev11 and https://en.eurovelo.com/ev13
Old 02-17-22, 06:31 PM
jkbrooks

Bikes: Ti Mosaic G2 & Ti Davidson coupled

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I did the EV1 from Bordeaux to the Atlantic coast and south to Donostia (then back to Bayonne to catch train back to Bordeaux.) Not exactly hard core touring (I slept in small hotels & b&b's) but the EV1 was absolutely splendid. There were times I was rolling through pine forests along the coast, not a soul in sight, on a dedicated bike path, next to a perfectly suitable & underutilized rural road (also with no one on it) . . . last August! Talk about spoilt for choice! I also rode from Le Mans out to Brest on (mostly) the PBP route (because NFW I will do the actual ride.) That was fantastic in a number of other ways but my experience on the EV1 made me think that given my limited time, my next trip will be on one of the EuroVelo routes. Thinking Lyon to Montpellier or Marseilles on the EV17 (I've lived in france and speak a bit of french so that's kinda my thing.) Here's the Lyon to Montpellier route. Far from bad ass but looks like it would be a really fun ride. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37806317

I'm not one of the fast kids so riding up some flipping mountain for 5 hours so I can ride down for 1 isn't really in my "dreamscape." But it would be cool to say I'd ridden up Mount Ventoux. But mostly I can't keep up with the cool kids that would understand what that meant anyway!
Old 02-19-22, 01:51 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
I have cycled a number of EV routes in France, including EV1 (Atlantic coast), EV 6 (Loire valley) and EV17 (along the Rhône which is, I believe the original EV route and very easy riding).

As traffic intensity increases in Europe (exponentially it seems), I find myself riding EV routes more and more. They often have a different feel than riding the roads through small villages.

Last edited by imi; 02-19-22 at 01:55 AM.