Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Westminster Bike Swap 2022 - 2/13

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-29-22, 10:59 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts

Anybody going? Never been there before, but planning to make the trip.
Old 01-29-22, 11:12 AM
road195 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Hello, live close you should go once and decide for yourself. It is a real circus, A game approach attitude. As far as vintage parts go, all hit or miss, Do It!!
Old 01-29-22, 11:22 AM
road195 

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Swap:

As big as some years have been, with the mask Covid thing, the show would be a lot more enjoyable if it would be two days. I am learning first hand, that getting parts to build a vintage bike when you want to sell the stuff you did not need for that build, with the shipping costs I am on the losing end. I have realized, that is the price of cycling hobby, and I am ok, with that!
Old 02-03-22, 08:17 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Definitely attending, have a table with Poguemahone, and will be taking three bikes for sale: 1955 Royal Enfield 3-speed, 1970 AMF Roadmaster middleweight, and a 1920's-something Emblem girl's bike. It's looking pretty hopeful for this year, seeing 2020 just squeaked the COVID wire, and I passed on last year (which I understand was poorly attended).

Masks will be mandatory to get in, no matter what your vaccination status.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 02-15-22 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For sykerocker:
Old 02-04-22, 07:50 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I will be there.

Jim
Old 02-04-22, 10:22 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
I'll be there. I may bring a couple bikes to sell. We should figure out a way to ID Bikeforums members. Maybe a little sign for tables?
Old 02-04-22, 11:42 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
If you're making the trek to Westminster and you like Ice Cream, I have to recommend Hoffman's Ice Cream & Deli (which is not far from the farm museum / fairgrounds). I grew up in the area and spend a good bit of time as a mechanic on Main Street at White's Bikes, so I have to recommend them as well. But definitely check out Hoffman's, your tummy will thank me!
Old 02-14-22, 01:15 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
So who went? I had a decent day - sold a bike, and bought some stuff I did and didn't need.
Old 02-14-22, 01:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
So who went? I had a decent day - sold a bike, and bought some stuff I did and didn't need.
a brookslide
OMAS.... those are becoming $$ as Campagnolo are $$$
wheels are the new deals as too much to ship.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-15-22, 05:04 PM
LeicaLad 

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Given that I drove an hour & a half in a driving snow . . but the roads were still warm so the roads stay safe.
I skipped last year, both over weather and the pandemic. Had to go just to check in with a handful of old friends.

I did get a couple small things: A Phil Wood front hub, NOS, for $30. Two Cinelli stems, one NOS @ 90mm, the other light used @ 110mm, for combined $50.
Some tubes and lubes. A funny thing called a "Cable Luber - A Power Injection Tool". It was free.

And, totally cool, a true unobtanium bit, a Zeus pedal wrench. Unmarked, but with a bunch of other Zeus tools. And it does fit. (I have two bikes w/ Zeus pedals.)

A photo of it, just for entertainment purposes.

Zeus, and it fits. It also weighs about 3x time any other pedal wrench known.

Slightly not-round, and cerated edges only up top. Works flawlessly on Zeus pedals.

Anyway, the Westminster Swap is a fine and well-run event. Definitely worth the effort to get there!

And cheers to the friends I did see, and apologies to those missed.

Owen
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 02-15-22, 06:03 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Not a bad day for Poguemahone and myself. I sold one bike (the 70 AMF Roadmaster), brought the 55 Royal Enfield back home. There was a guy there with a couple of 23" frame Raleigh Sports and Humbers, for decent prices, but I had to move two bikes to have room to take a new one home.

For me, it was wheels day. Picked up three sets, a 27" wheels on 126mm Shimano hubs which will finally give my "baseball bike" (a stripped single speed on a BCA frame - my commuter to the ballpark for Richmond Flying Squirrels games) a proper set of wheels, not the mismatched junk left over from the fire that I built it with, a set of blade spoked 700c clincher/freehub wheels which will go on my 92 Diamondback Expert (my only 'modern' bike) since the freehub on the stock set of wheels has died, and a set of carbon fiber aero sewup wheels which I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them (summer use on the Diamondback?), but they were in nice condition and cheeeeeeep! And a Campagnolo aero bottle and cage for my third Rossin. And I came home with eight free sewups, of which six look like they're going to be useful.

Turnout was definitely not up to two years ago. The couple of guys I normally see who deal in 20's and earlier American bikes weren't there this year (so much for my plans on offloading the third bike), merchant count felt lighter, the bicycle corral was definitely half of what it usually was, and the place was nowhere near as crowded as past years. Hell, I never had to wait in line for a urinal in the men's room this time.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 02-15-22 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-16-22, 08:14 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I made it again. Sold three bikes and bought three more. Got a roll of cable housing and several used long cage derailleurs. Hoping to score some bulk consumables but with supply chain issues still being a problem, not many shops were there selling them. I thought turnout was good and saw a lot of goodies changing hands. Much much better than last year but not quite back to 2019-2020 crowds. Always a good time and a well-run show. They also let vendors set up on Saturday night now.