Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Safest tires for commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Safest tires for commuting?

Old 03-28-22, 08:39 PM
InertAgent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to daily commute in NYC on Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 35c which have a nice ride and feel. My only puncture was a nail through the rear tire. I had Specialized All Condition Armadillos but they felt like riding a garden hose and were slippery when wet.
Likes For InertAgent:
Old 04-02-22, 08:25 AM
danders

Bikes: Fuji World, Salsa Vaya, Rockhopper 96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
I prefer Continental Ride Tours to the Marathons. I find the Marathons, at least the 42mm I have used, are super harsh because of the very stiff sidewalls. I am not a fan boy of His Suppleness over at RH, but I do appreciate the slightly more cushy construction of the Ride Tours, since my commute involves cobble stones.

Edit, also, I noticed the Marathons didn't have a round cross section. They were taller than wide, I think because of a generator track on the side wall. Neither here not there but it was a bit strange to me.

I have them in 47mm but they run a bit narrow. I have never had a flat in years of use.

They are also, at least in my local market, way cheaper than the Marathons, since they lack the recognition.

But, yeah, figure out what happen before you put on nice new tires only for it to happen again...
Agree the Continental Ride Tours are great value. Had a set of 42s came on a used bike I bought, measured 38mm,
replaced because they were 10+ years old.

Replaced with Marathons 420 greenguard 38mm, measure 37mm and are a bit taller, had to adjust fenders.
The ride is fine too new to comment on durability,
Old 04-04-22, 06:59 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by danders
Agree the Continental Ride Tours are great value. Had a set of 42s came on a used bike I bought, measured 38mm,
replaced because they were 10+ years old.

Replaced with Marathons 420 greenguard 38mm, measure 37mm and are a bit taller, had to adjust fenders.
The ride is fine too new to comment on durability,
There is a new tire from Schwalbe called the Energizer Plus Tour HS 485, it's about 100 or so grams less than the Marathon 440 flatless tire, so not a lot of weight savings, but it is a very durable tire against punctures, and for wear, and the good news is that this tire is only $37 but it is a wire bead tire which shouldn't concern anyone, the bad news is that at this time they have limited sizes so depending on what size tire you have you may or may not be able to find one.
Old 04-04-22, 07:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Don't forget to consider "Continental Ride Tour" (made in India) and the "Kenda K184" (made in Taiwan). For me both are proven as I ride on torn up asphalt.
Old 04-04-22, 10:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I personally like the Bontrager H2 tires which came OEM on both our Trek tandem and my Trek road racer. The tandem has 2.0" clinchers and has done a 2mi each way commute 5x/wk and uncountable weekend excursions for over 5 years in urban Portland, OR! When they flatted for the first time ever after four years I thought they were done, but oh no, so I kept them on. A year later another flat and it was mid-Covid and nothing to be found. I have an unused pair of 2.0" Big Apple which I dare not run in the city without Tuffy's. The Tuffy's took a month to arrive during which time the H2's STILL are going. Our commute is now 4mi one way 3x/wk.

I personally would not kick a tire brand/model to the curb based on one failure unless it was a fatal failure, literally fatal. Too many factors to blame it all on the entire run of tires of that kind. The H2's on the roadie are 25mm and I can find no fault with them. I ride fewer miles on them but quite a few. And they have NEVER flatted. I don't even carry patches or a pump when I am out on either of the Bontie tired rides. I'm not even concerned (anymore) that bragging on these tires will bring down the wrath of Fistula. I got over that in year three. I'm just not sure how easy it is to find the Bontrager Hardcase tires now.