Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suggestions / help for removing and reinstalling a VERY tight tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 03:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I remember I had a heck of a time when I installed Conti GP 4000 (700x23) on a pair of Velocity A23 rims about 2 years ago. @TejanoTrackie suggested I use a VAR tire jack which helped a lot. Now its time for new tires and I can't get the old tires off, even using the tire jack. If I get them off I want to install Conti GP4000 700x25 tires. I watched a few online videos. The one on the Velocity site was most helpful. Got any other suggestions? Thanks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-02-18, 05:03 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
If the tires to be removed are worn out, you could cut the bead on both sides to facilitate removal. Park plastic coated steel
core levers (TL 6.2) might give you more leverage to pry the bead over the edge of the rim and liquid soap lube on the rim edge
may help removal, though it is a bit more helpful in install. Wonder if the 25mm tires will be any better re install/removal.
Hope you never have a flat on the road. I would strongly consider another brand of tire, (or wire bead conti, see below).

I recently had a 2 hour episode of install/removal of 3 pairs of German sourced Contis on Vuelta rims, finally gave up on the
tires realizing if I ever had a flat I would be SOL. Put a Michelin Pro on instead, it mounted fairly easily (2-3 minutes).
Otoh the same Contis I had wrestled with installed easily on a Rolf tandem rim, with just thumb leverage alone. Some tire
rim combos are not meant to be. FWIW a wire bead Conti easily installed on the Vuelta rim, where the kevlar bead was
a horror show, go figure.....
Old 06-02-18, 05:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have some super tight tires. What I have to do is get 3 levers under the bead all at once, and then hold 2 of them in there while I pry with the third, then hook it over a spoke, and move on to the next lever. I'm convinced this is why lever sets come with 3. The hooks are because you don't have 3 hands. It doesn't always "take" on the first try, and you may have to fiddle with exactly where to place the levers.
Old 06-02-18, 05:47 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I have some super tight tires. What I have to do is get 3 levers under the bead all at once, and then hold 2 of them in there while I pry with the third, then hook it over a spoke, and move on to the next lever. I'm convinced this is why lever sets come with 3. The hooks are because you don't have 3 hands. It doesn't always "take" on the first try, and you may have to fiddle with exactly where to place the levers.
On my previous rims, I couldn't hook a spoke with a lever. The next lever would not be able to get under the tire bead. (I cut the hooks off the pair that stays in my saddle bag.) I wonder if sets of 3 levers with hooks are designed for older wire bead tires? I haven't mounted a wire bead for at least 20 years now.

My tight tire howto
My previous Kinlin rims had a very shallow center well. So it was very hard to get the last part of the bead over the rim, there's very little slack.

It's so tight that even with no tube installed and just one bead on the rim, I couldn't slide the tire around to match the tire label with the spoke hole. That's really tight!

But I found a fast, easy method to mount tires on those rims that doesn't take a lot of force. I still do it this way, even though my current wheels are way easier.
Here's the thread: Tight tire mounting
Posted in 2010!

The key is to lift less than an inch of bead at a time, then slide the lever over, and repeat. It's fast and needs little force. I need two levers to remove a tire, and just one lever to mount the replacement. Tire lever shape is critical -- see the thread for details.

~~~~~
My old rims were way tighter than that Velocity video. I liked his technique for "normal" combinations.

Your Velocity rim profile looks like it's somewhat similar to my Kinlin:

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-02-18 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 06:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Never mind, reading comprehension fail.
Old 06-02-18, 06:10 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Push the beads to the center of the rim before trying to remove the tire. Same with installation. Push the mounted bead to the center of the rim. Also you can use about 6 zipties (or string, lightweight straps, etc.) equally spaced around the tire to hold the beads together. Works amazingly easy with a little bit of lube to slide the tire on the rim. I've done tubeless motorcycle tires with this method and no levers needed.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-02-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 06:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
On my previous rims, I couldn't hook a spoke with a lever. The next lever would not be able to get under the tire bead. (I cut the hooks off the pair that stays in my saddle bag.) I wonder if sets of 3 levers with hooks are designed for older wire bead tires? I haven't mounted a wire bead for at least 20 years now.
I've found that on really tight tires, you have to get all 3 under the bead before you begin to pry with the first lever, so the other two are already under the bead. And the wheels with these tires also have no center well -- they are 30+ year old Rigida rims.
Old 06-02-18, 07:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Similar problem when I installed Conti Ultra Sport 2 on my rims. Had to use plastic tire levers to horse 'em over the rims. And I nicked the new front tube, pinching it on the last bit to go over the rim. Grrr.

Got a Kool Stop tire bead jack. No more problems. Plenty of leverage. Definitely gonna be useful the next several months while my shoulder recovers (borked and dislocated, hit by a car). I carry it in my jersey pocket while riding the road bike. Some folks use a hacksaw to shorten the handle. It doesn't bother me so I've left mine as-is.

I don't have any real preference in levers. I have a set of skinny black plastic no-names and a set of larger Bontrager orange levers. I usually carry one of each in the seat bags of my road bike and hybrid. So far, so good, no breakage or problems with the tightest tires.

I noticed the last time I had to fix a flat on the road bike, the Conti Ultra Sport 2 wasn't quite as difficult to unmount and remount. I doubt the bead stretched. I'm guessing some excess rubber flashing abraded off the first go 'round, just enough to make the second time a bit easier.

Ditto, the techniques described above. A little at a time, be sure the bead is in the trough or depression. I use fairly thick old style cloth rim tape so it's really crucial to be sure the bead is in the trough or I'll never get the tires on or off.
Old 06-02-18, 08:01 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
that's a slick tool; thanks for posting.
Old 06-02-18, 08:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Using a thin slick rim tape like Continental Easy Tape or filament-reinforced packing tape instead of the usual VELOX cloth tape, will allow more slack for the bead.
Old 06-02-18, 08:16 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
+1 for cutting the bead and ripping the whole tire off.

If you opt to use tire levers instead, wear eye protection. While working on a tight tire, I've had one of those levers pop off the wheel and crack me really hard in the cheek. Could've been an eye.
Old 06-02-18, 08:29 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My Park TL-5 tire levers are acceptable when working on my 700x23 tires.

My experience is that they work better on these tight tires than the standard small plastic tire levers.

Old 06-02-18, 08:39 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I switched a pair of Sun CR18 rims from Velox to 16mm Kapton tape and it made a difference. Two wraps of 1 mil (I think) Kapton tape is enough and still a lot thinner than Velox tape.

The Compass tires (35mm Bon Jon Pass) were almost impossible to mount with velox tape on the rims. Equally difficult to remove to change the tape, but it made more sense to deal with that at home than at the side of the road.

I used a set of blue plastic park tool levers and they worked very well. I'm amazed that none of them snapped considering the force needed to mount the tires initially. After that ordeal I bought one of the tire jacks - nice tool.

By contrast, a set of Michelin Pro4 25mm tires went on a set of Boyd Vitesse wheels by thumb pressure only. I guess I got spoiled with those.
Old 06-03-18, 06:57 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
I meant to add: talcum powder sprinkled inside the tire may help with tight. I use it to help the tube find its way without binding.
Old 06-03-18, 07:16 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have a pair of the steel tire levers, they certainly have the needed leverage, but tended to gouge the rim edge, so stopped
using them. If you can't get one lever under and reliably pop the tire bead over the rim, doubt you will be able to get a
second, much less a third lever in there, but YMMV in that regard. My tight tire experiences are 1) getting the lever to hold
the tire bead over the rim edge 2) being unable to force the lever down the rim edge to get more bead out, soap helps
there.

I also have a Park TL10, apparently discontinued ( https://www.parktool.com/product/shop-tire-tool-tl-10) which solves the
2d problem and keeps more skin on my knuckles, nothing like hitting a flat blade spoke while tugging with all your might
on a tire bead that does not want to come out of the rim when the lever pops free. Not much help on the road.
Old 06-03-18, 08:59 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
The person in the tire bead jack video made the job more difficult by not finishing the mounting near the valve stem. That is one of the main ways to make the mounting more easy, as the stem forces both beads toward the outer portion of the rim, even more so with Schrader valves.
Old 06-03-18, 09:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
3 tire levers, Off, 2 VAR tire jack tools, On, is my choice.. for decades.

The Kool Stop one is great, but a shop tool in size..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 02:57 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I watched the Velocity video again and finally did something right and got the tire off without much trouble. For some reason the new tire went on "easily" too.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-06-18, 10:12 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
For the record, the Velocity A23 also doesn’t play nice with Bontrager AW2 TLR road tires. I could not get one on my rear wheel without a tire bead jack, which I now have to carry with me in my backpack (next to my Road Morph). On the other hand, I just installed a Schwalbe Pro One on an A23 front wheel on the same bike and it went on pretty easily. I suspect some of it might have to do with how well you put the tubeless tape on. If you don’t get it nice and tight down in the well, it will reduce the effective depth of the well and therefore reduce the amount of slack you have to get the bead over the rim.