Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bees and helmet vents

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bees and helmet vents

Old 01-21-22, 10:03 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't worry about them so much. You leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Bees are generally not aggressive. I've grabbed them in my hand from off my helmet, neck and shoulders and flung them off with no sting. Yellow jackets and wasps I'm not so lucky doing that.
A bee stuck inside your helmet is extremely hard to just "leave them alone".
Most bees seem to take beeing trapped (pun intended) as an attack on their personal space!

Barry
Old 01-21-22, 10:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
related?, fwiw - I use foam inserts for thermal protection when it gets colder

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...met-vents.html

Old 01-21-22, 10:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
And don't forget...
Epinephrine Auto-injector or other device and 50mg of Diphenhydramine if your really allergic...
Old 01-21-22, 10:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by zandoval
And don't forget...
Epinephrine Auto-injector or other device and 50mg of Diphenhydramine if your really allergic...
I'm not but good reminders
Old 01-21-22, 11:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Don't worry about them so much. You leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Bees are generally not aggressive. I've grabbed them in my hand from off my helmet, neck and shoulders and flung them off with no sting. Yellow jackets and wasps I'm not so lucky doing that.
?? This is just not realistic at all. I was never really allergic to bees until the last 5 years or so. I have several days of severe swelling after a sting no matter how much antihistamine I use. I'm not scared of bees or react weird when they land on me. Usually I'm stung before I know they are on me and it seems to be happening about 4 times a year here lately.

This was 3 days after a little sweat wasp got me right under my helmet on the forehead. I carry two Benedryl tablets in my saddle back and take those the moment I'm stung. This on top of my daily Allegro. I really feel for those more allergic than me.

Missed work the next day as I could hardly even open the one eye that's working in this shot.
Old 01-21-22, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Ummm……..have worn helmets with vents since 1976. Stung by something on the mouth 1981 and stung by a honeybee on my ankle 3 - 4 years ago. Is getting stung on the head under a helmet a common thing?

After something like 30 years without a bee sting, this summer I was stung under the helmet and two weeks later stung on the lip, roughly at the same place on the path I ride after work. Bugs do get into the helmet from time to time, and if they're stinging bugs, it's kind of a 50-50 shot whether they will sting you.
Old 01-21-22, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Not realistic? I've seen more people stung by bees and wasps because they go crazy swatting and slapping at them and get them angry.

I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to either. I've had a total of 2 bee stings in my entire life. Bees just aren't aggressive that way. I'd expect bees to not sting if left alone. Even when crawling around in your helmet trying to find a way out.

Wasp and yellow jackets are more aggressive, but in almost every case the stings I got from them were when I got into whatever it is they consider their personal space. But if left alone, even when they are on me, they'll usually just fly off eventually.

For those that are allergic, I realize you have to do what you have to do, but being aggressive yourself toward them is just asking for trouble. A large hairnet over the outside of the helmet seems a cheap solution. However that doesn't handle the gaps between the helmet and head. So if that is a concern, then the full head netting seems the way to go.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-21-22 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 11:49 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Not realistic? I've seen more people stung by bees and wasps because they go crazy swatting and slapping at them and get them angry.

I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to either. I've had a total of 2 bee stings in my entire life. Bees just aren't aggressive that way. I'd expect bees to not sting if left alone. Even when crawling around in your helmet trying to find a way out.

Wasp and yellow jackets are more aggressive, but in almost every case the stings I got from them were when I got into whatever it is they consider their personal space. But if left alone, even when they are on me, they'll usually just fly off eventually.

For those that are allergic, I realize you have to do what you have to do, but being aggressive yourself toward them is just asking for trouble. A large hairnet over the outside of the helmet seems a cheap solution. However that doesn't handle the gaps between the helmet and head. So if that is a concern, then the full head netting seems the way to go.

LOL, some just don't get it. I've never flaked out or been aggressive to any bee or wasp. That has nothing to do with getting stung repeatedly each year here lately. It just happens. Several time inside or under the helmet, in the calves, and a couple of times in the upper leg when one is there and I don't know it until they get pinched and sting as I'm just pedaling along. Really has nothing to do with them being aggressive or not or me being aggressive or not, it just happens and is a real concern for some people.

Most of my hits happen within a 2 mile stretch of road were newer houses were built on farm fields and several of them have bee hives set up now. Luck of the draw I guess, LOL!
Old 01-21-22, 12:27 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have never had an insect sting me inside my helmet, but plenty of bites elsewhere. We had so much trouble with the Wee Midgies when we have ridden in Scotland. They are everywhere and they are agressive.

We bought some"Midgie Spray" that was made out of garlic, onion, citronella, etc. It is not a pleasant floral scent. It is not a dead animal scent. More of a sulfur scent. It worked great.

Maybe there is something similar that would work for bees and wasps. Maybe rub "Liquid Smoke" on your helmet and head?
Old 01-21-22, 12:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I got two bee stings this year, and you're just wrong about the helmet thing. Bees sting when they're actually being attacked and/or trapped. My helmet bounces around a little bit on my head when I'm riding, so by the time I'm aware of the bee in me bonnet (ever consider the origin of that expression?), the bee is being repeatedly pressed between a relatively hard plastic surface and my scalp. I didn't have to do anything to provoke that sting, it's automated. I can't "leave it alone", I've accidentally trapped it.

As far as getting stung in the face, that happens pretty much instantaneously with hitting it midair--it reacts like you intentionally hit it. There's no flailing around, it's a slap on/from your face, then ouch. You don't even see the bug, let alone resist it.

I'm lucky, I'm unusually immune to the effects of bee venom, so getting stung in the lip resulted in very localized swelling that was gone within 2 hours.
Old 01-21-22, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,853 Times in 6,070 Posts
I'm with those who wear a beanie under my helmet, because I got tired of putting sunscreen on top of my head. I worry a lot less about bees now, though I've never been stung under the helmet. I did get one in the mouth at 35 mph, though.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-21-22, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, some just don't get it. I've never flaked out or been aggressive to any bee or wasp. That has nothing to do with getting stung repeatedly each year here lately. It just happens. Several time inside or under the helmet, in the calves, and a couple of times in the upper leg when one is there and I don't know it until they get pinched and sting as I'm just pedaling along. Really has nothing to do with them being aggressive or not or me being aggressive or not, it just happens and is a real concern for some people.

Most of my hits happen within a 2 mile stretch of road were newer houses were built on farm fields and several of them have bee hives set up now. Luck of the draw I guess, LOL!

Wait, there actually are bees in the Beehive State? Who knew?
Old 01-21-22, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm with those who wear a beanie under my helmet, because I got tired of putting sunscreen on top of my head. I worry a lot less about bees now, though I've never been stung under the helmet. I did get one in the mouth at 35 mph, though.

I was only doing about 20, but it really is a bit of a shock, ain't it?
Old 01-21-22, 12:37 PM
rumrunn6

reminds me on a summer commute home, down a fast hill, thru a wooded area, near a river, & popular w/ dog walkers, a bumble bee hit my face & perhaps tried to sting my lip but I was lucky, in that it was a glancing blow & all I got was a tiny sensation. shortly after that, I felt something hit my bare left shin. I immediately swatted at it to get it away. but when I looked at my glove I saw that is was just some dog-doo that had been flung up by my front wheel
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-21-22, 12:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I was only doing about 20, but it really is a bit of a shock, ain't it?
Not as bad as the June Bug to the forehead at 50 mph that I got years ago, driving my MGB with the top down on a warm summer evening.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-21-22, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Not as bad as the June Bug to the forehead at 50 mph that I got years ago, driving my MGB with the top down on a warm summer evening.

OK, so what's the mathematical formula for figuring the pain of the heavier bug at 50 mph vs. the lighter, stinging bug at 35 mph?

Pain from kinetic energy vs. stinger.
Old 01-21-22, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

OK, so what's the mathematical formula for figuring the pain of the heavier bug at 50 mph vs. the lighter, stinging bug at 35 mph?Pain from kinetic energy vs. stinger.
depends on the yaw & roll angles of the beast?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-21-22, 12:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

OK, so what's the mathematical formula for figuring the pain of the heavier bug at 50 mph vs. the lighter, stinging bug at 35 mph?

Pain from kinetic energy vs. stinger.
The worst part about the bee was it spattered across my teeth, and it did NOT taste good. Bleah.

The next worst thing was worrying about whether I'd developed an allergy to stings (no, I hadn't). I spent the next 20 minutes, repeatedly checking my lip for swelling (there was a little), and wondering whether it looked as huge as it felt (it didn't). Since it kept getting larger and felt numb, I kinda panicked and called my wife to pick me up. Since it would take her 30 minutes to get to where I was, I told her to meet me in a place it would take both of us 20 minutes to get to. So, OF COURSE, by the time I got to our rendezvous, it was feeling much better and I felt silly for having called her.

Old 01-21-22, 12:55 PM
rumrunn6

by the time I'm aware of the bee in me bonnet (ever consider the origin of that expression?)
wedding day, 30+ years ago, Wifey-to-be, has flowers in her hair, during the ceremony a bee takes interest & is trying to pollenate with them. she is completely unaware. the video tape is rolling however & records bridesmaid #1 attempting to swat but then realizes it would be better to scoop the bee with the floral bouquet she is holding in her hands. it takes a cpl of scoops but eventually she succeeds. the rest is history

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-21-22 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-21-22, 12:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
depends on the yaw & roll angles of the beast?
Pain increases the closer the bugs direction of travel approaches directly opposite your own, as well as the speed at which it's flying, not to mention its mass. Larger beetles also get extra points for their hard carapace.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-21-22, 01:23 PM
rumrunn6

Pain increases the closer the bugs direction of travel approaches directly opposite your own, as well as the speed at which it's flying, not to mention its mass. Larger beetles also get extra points for their hard carapace.
is their a boundary layer of air protecting us?

hmmm r e d d i t blocked?

google: Why can I swat a flying insect with my palm using enough force to knock the average person unconscious and the insect flit away seemingly unharmed?

... must be Friday ...
Old 01-21-22, 07:00 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Bees seem to find their way in through my helmet vents too often, just bad luck maybe. Getting stung in the scalp sucks! I have owned a few brands of helmets with a bug mesh in the front vents and I won't buy a new one without that or something similar. I bought a Bontrager Wavecell last summer for mountain biking and I have an old Uvex helmet for road rides that has a bug mesh in the front vents. It's pretty old, I could use a new one. Uvex is no longer in the U.S. market unfortunately, but two brands (they actually look like the same helmets rebranded) I've found that have a similar bug mesh are Serfas and Abus. Also, some Kali helmets have a mesh but not all of them. There are a few other brands I can't recall offhand-they're out there but not always easy to find.
Old 01-22-22, 09:15 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Bees seem to find their way in through my helmet vents too often, just bad luck maybe. Getting stung in the scalp sucks! I have owned a few brands of helmets with a bug mesh in the front vents and I won't buy a new one without that or something similar. I bought a Bontrager Wavecell last summer for mountain biking and I have an old Uvex helmet for road rides that has a bug mesh in the front vents. It's pretty old, I could use a new one. Uvex is no longer in the U.S. market unfortunately, but two brands (they actually look like the same helmets rebranded) I've found that have a similar bug mesh are Serfas and Abus. Also, some Kali helmets have a mesh but not all of them. There are a few other brands I can't recall offhand-they're out there but not always easy to find.
Found a nice Abus on eBay and ordered it.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 01-22-22, 06:26 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I'd be interested in your impressions when you get it and can try it out!
Old 01-25-22, 03:36 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have never had a bee in the helmet, but I have had stinging insects get under my sunglasses and had wasps fly down my jersey neck and/or up the sleeve. A honeybee stings once and leaves the stinger, but wasp will sting again and again since it does not lose the stinger, and will sting until it runs out of venom.

I had a line of 6-8 stings across my shoulder or chest, with the welts and swelling getting less and less as it went. The all big shiny all black wasps and the white faced hornets were the worst. And then there are greenhead flies and deer flies that will draw blood. Those SOBs bite right through the jersey material.
Likes For Bill in VA:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.