Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Marazochi am3

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 11:08 AM
Marbles67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marazochi am3

Hi all just bought a mountain bike with am3. The bike sat for for years in a basement and the shock was really quite flat.
I got good deal so I bought bike knowing this.
I noticed two air fill ports on the top,but I've read different pressure settings.
I'm 248 Pounds
I did look at the pdf for this shock but it wasn't clear and I don't want to guess potentially ruining the shock.
I appreciate your help
Old 01-24-22, 08:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Marbles67
Hi all just bought a mountain bike with am3. The bike sat for for years in a basement and the shock was really quite flat.
I got good deal so I bought bike knowing this.
I noticed two air fill ports on the top,but I've read different pressure settings.
I'm 248 Pounds
I did look at the pdf for this shock but it wasn't clear and I don't want to guess potentially ruining the shock.
I appreciate your help
Does the pdf give a max pressure?

Those recomended pressures are just a starting point. Just go by feel. Start with whatever pressure gives you 20-25% sag (again, just a starting point) and then see how it rides. If you are not using all the travel and you would like it softer, lower the pressure. If you keep bottoming out, increase it. Just don’t go over the max psi.

BTW, with a shock that old you will likely want to check the oil levels in it. And you should also assume it will need new seals soon.
Old 01-24-22, 08:44 AM
Marbles67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repair

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Does the pdf give a max pressure?

Those recomended pressures are just a starting point. Just go by feel. Start with whatever pressure gives you 20-25% sag (again, just a starting point) and then see how it rides. If you are not using all the travel and you would like it softer, lower the pressure. If you keep bottoming out, increase it. Just don’t go over the max psi.

BTW, with a shock that old you will likely want to check the oil levels in it. And you should also assume it will need new seals soon.
ok I wonder if it's worthwhile repairing it.
Old 01-24-22, 09:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Checking/changing oil and replacing the wipers/seals Its just maintenance that should be done on any fork if you want it to last.

If you can follow directions and have basic tools, it is nothing that a remotely competent home mechanic can’t do. Wiper/Seals are probably $20, and oil is not much. Heck, just do the oil and leave the seals if you want. It will become apprent soon enough if you need them.
Old 01-24-22, 10:10 AM
Marbles67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shock

ok ya im able to do it fir sure...
I am old but work on all sorts mechanical issues with plumbing and my home fleet.
this is just new technology hahahaha for me.
I will ask bike store for wiper seals,oil and go from there...
hopefully they will have something that works.
And I this works it will save me 150 bucks for another shock
Thank's
Old 01-24-22, 11:36 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
ok ya im able to do it fir sure...
I am old but work on all sorts mechanical issues with plumbing and my home fleet.
this is just new technology hahahaha for me.
I will ask bike store for wiper seals,oil and go from there...
hopefully they will have something that works.
And I this works it will save me 150 bucks for another shock
Thank's
This shock used to be $450 when new (current Marzocchi's are a bit more). The new shocks around $150 you stated on buying, are not as nice as what you have. Actually, the LBS will charge around $150 to do the maintenance on this shock.

Check out YouTube video's on how to complete the maintenance yourself. It's not as hard or daunting as it may sound.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hi+am3+service