Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 06:20 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sorry to hear your woes 905. Glad you posted your story so that when someone Googles Engima bikes this thread appears.
Old 05-22-21, 07:17 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
The real enigma is how they’re gonna stay in business hahahaha!
Rotten double-talking hucksters...
Old 05-22-21, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
A question for metallurgists: is it possible to estimate mileage based on the state of the frame alone?

A desire to run clean handlebars

Different bike, same aesthetic

and a genuine indifference to stats means I simply haven't a clue how far this bike has gone. I know roughly how long my typical ride is (but that varies with the season and other things), and roughly how often this bike gets out (again, very variable). When questioned, I will do my best to come up with a decent estimate, but over the course of a decade, with no actual records, it's just impossible to know.

All this to say, I felt that my honesty was used against me when I relayed my estimate to the frame builder. 40,000 miles! Maybe more! Maybe less, but still many thousands! Certainly sounds like a hell of a lot to people who aren't completely in love with cycling and don't have multiple bikes to spread the load.

So we're kind of left with looking at the time, rather than the mileage, which cannot be definitely proven unless I'd have tagged myself with a GPS tracker and given the security services the OK to log me (GCHQ in the UK, NSA across the pond - surely they’re plugged into Strava by now). I jest, but my perplexion is real.

Is it possible to examine a frame with a tricorder or whatever and make a truly educated guess about the mileage?

I'm assuming it's highly unlikely, given all the myriad variables; and it's anybody's guess if a tricorder could be so configured.

Last edited by 905; 05-23-21 at 10:35 AM. Reason: perfectionist
Likes For 905:
Old 05-23-21, 02:20 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
As much as it pains me to say this, it seems to me that you don't need a metallurgist, you need a Solicitor. This all depends on what"lifetime" means in the context of Enigma's warranty when you bought the bike.
Old 05-23-21, 02:42 PM

There's another tale of Enigma woe over here, from 2012. His was in fact replaced, but it took a whole year!

Elsewhere, I've been urged to just "move on" quite a few times at this point, as if I've been staring disconsolately out a window for months…

Last edited by 905; 05-24-21 at 09:46 AM. Reason: post missing?
Old 05-24-21, 07:19 AM

No need to provide screenshots* (unless you want them for your scrapbook), I quite openly give links. I'm all about the transparency.

As to the banning, that was not at all related to this. (Link provided on the site. Naturally.) Anyone who travels as much as I have on the internets and is outspoken is bound to come to grief from time to time.

And yes. I've posted all over. That was the point.

*The post I was referring to has disappeared. Just so you don't think I'm mad or anything. ['Mad' in the UK = crazy]

Last edited by 905; 05-24-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 07:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Posting on multiple sub-forums within BF wouldn't be cool, but I don't see the issue with posting on boards other than BF. I can see how it might be a bit tiring for individuals to see posts about the same issue if they're members elsewhere, but tough noogies - he's done nothing wrong here, IMO.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
...though I view my circumstances as less self serving, more for the greater good.
Why not both? Sure, it's self-serving, but if I was thinking about purchasing from Enigma, hearing this kind of feedback, and seeing Enigma's response, would be valuable in my decision making process.

Last edited by WhyFi; 05-24-21 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-24-21, 08:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Until this thread, OP hasn't been here since 2018. He previously posted about this same issue in 2016 https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...racked-ti.html So, any rules broken? Maybe not. Bad manners, poor etiquette, exploitation of the platform by someone who normally has no interest? Yes, but JMO.
People frequently pop up on the forums after a multi-year hiatus to ask questions when they have a problem. Should we ban them and lock their threads, too, because they didn't feel like shooting the **** here in their off-time?

In the case of the OP, I think that it's genuinely valuable, from a consumer's prospective, to have an update on a long-running problem and to see the manufacturer's response to that problem.
Old 05-24-21, 08:07 AM

Until this thread, OP hasn't been here since 2018. He previously posted about this same issue in 2016 https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...racked-ti.html So, any rules broken? Maybe not. Bad manners, poor etiquette, exploitation of the platform by someone who normally has no interest? Yes, but JMO.
I posted about the first crack in the frame, yes. This is the third.

I've actually made a fair number of contributions over the years (here's one on the very uncontentious subject of helmets), but am not going to apologise for not spending all my time here.

As for manners, netiquette, etc., people can judge for themselves.
Likes For 905:
Old 05-24-21, 08:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
I've deleted a few posts but I'll leave this link. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...racked-ti.html Folks can make their own judgements about what is going on here.
Old 05-24-21, 08:43 AM

Flogging a dead horse means to waste effort on something when there is no chance of succeeding. While it is probably true that I won't get satisfaction from the framebuilder, there are other types of satisfaction, Horatio.

Also, while I am not interested in counter-attacking you, it is generally considered poor netiquette to turn threads into swiss cheese.

Last edited by 905; 05-24-21 at 09:44 AM. Reason: mmm, swiss cheese
Likes For 905:
Old 05-24-21, 10:16 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
A quick web search found several services like this one:

https://www.chatwithsolicitor.co.uk/

It will cost you 5 GBP for a one week trial. Still can't afford to talk with a solicitor? This is why civilized people create courts and define the exact meaning to words used in contracts and laws. Someone who knows what these words actually mean can give you the best advice on this situation. I honestly don't know if Enigma has a legal obligation to repair or replace your frame. But it sounds like 5 GBP will tell you if they owe you a refund or replacement of the frame.
Old 05-24-21, 11:26 AM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
About 25 years ago I moved to the UK and took up cycling, but you probably don't want my life story, so I'll cut straight to the woe.

What am I looking at, you ask? That, my roadie friends, is the bad end of an Enigma, a make built not far down the road from me here in currently rainy East Sussex. It's 10 years old, and has seen a fair amount of mileage but nothing extraordinary (40k would be a stretch. I don't use a computer, so that's an educated guess.)

This was in fact the third frame failure. Last year the dropout dropped out

and four years previous, the bottom bracket first made its displeasure known (I wrote about it here).

This was sold to me with a lifetime warranty, which is now not being honoured unless I pony up the equivalent of $850 "for materials". I would be a fool to give them another dime, so that's that, I guess. They also said that 10 years is a reasonable lifespan for a high end bike, which I kind of wish they'd mentioned in the first place, as I would've gone elsewhere.

My reason for sharing these pictures is simple. If you're looking to buy an Enigma, consider this another data point. If you already happen to have one and it's given you no trouble, great: may it long continue. I wish you more luck than I've had.

I've seen better welds in a High School shop class.
Likes For TommyTwoTone:
Old 05-24-21, 05:28 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone
I've seen better welds in a High School shop class.
You Have?
They look pretty good to me.
Obviously there is some material issues from the welding process but the actual welds look tidy enough.
Old 05-25-21, 01:51 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
A bike frame ought to last longer than ten years, and there are huge numbers of them that do.
Old 05-25-21, 03:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
A bike frame ought to last longer than ten years, and there are huge numbers of them that do.
I totally agree, but there will be a huge variation in mileage covered by bikes that are 10+ years old. Mileage would be a much better measure than age.
Then there's always an inevitable trade off between frame weight and fatigue life. But if I bought a high-end Ti frame I would fully expect it to go the distance, especially with a literal lifetime warranty! That's sounds like an "all-you-can-eat" kind of deal to me.
Old 05-26-21, 12:00 AM

My wife told me I shouldn't have been so honest… she didn't mean lie, but by putting a figure out there (I've said around 40k), I've supplied some rope for a hanging party. Or at least for them to base their baseless conjecture that I treated the bike to a hard life. If nothing else it was a salutary reminder of why lawyers on TV dramas always say "Don't say a word until I get there."

My journey to computerlessness began quite awhile ago. I sometimes use an online mapping tool to amuse myself after a ride, but don't compile statistics. Nor did it help that I don't keep track of which bike I take out. Am happy to admit this one got the bulk of my miles, the others chiefly being ridden when the weather was iffy.

All of which is to say, my guesstimate has such a large range as to be entirely useless, and I should never have brought it up in the first place.

Can I also add, I'm grateful to the Bike Forums folk for not closing this thread down as has happened elsewhere. It's not just a story about one disgruntled man and his bike and the company that sold it to him.

Last edited by 905; 05-26-21 at 12:05 AM. Reason: If you get it wrong, get it right next time
Old 05-26-21, 07:04 AM
pooneej

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I know now not to even consider Enigma and I am in process of looking into custom builds.

Interestingly enough though - all these forum posts about this particular experience doesnt come up on a google search so Enigma likely safe in that regard.
Old 05-26-21, 11:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
Can I also add, I'm grateful to the Bike Forums folk for not closing this thread down as has happened elsewhere. It's not just a story about one disgruntled man and his bike and the company that sold it to him.
Sure seems like it to me.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-26-21, 05:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Old 05-26-21, 05:24 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sure seems like it to me.
For me, I have a couple of views. Where is that line between defect and age? Even though companies may not say it outright, they are not giving a lifetime warranty. I expect to get a reasonable lifespan out of a product defined by what most people experience using the product in a similar fashion and my own previous experience. I wouldn’t expect a frame to last me 10 years and I would expect to not have issues under five years.
Old 05-27-21, 02:30 AM

For the time being I'm going to refrain from commenting on this further. I'll leave you with this.
Old 05-27-21, 09:51 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
All I've gotta say is, WTF is a warranty worth, if the company providing it can turn around and alter the terms down the track? Doesn't sound like how a contract works to me.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-28-21, 08:44 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
All I've gotta say is, WTF is a warranty worth, if the company providing it can turn around and alter the terms down the track? Doesn't sound like how a contract works to me.
It isn’t, but the only remedy you have is to then sue them. That will cost more time and money then it is worth. Companies know that and so there isn’t a legal motivation to honor their warranties.
Old 05-28-21, 08:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The question posed by this bike/company/situation is definitely a riddle that needs to be solved.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.