Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 09:47 AM
ColoFatherOf3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I think these types of threads help the rest of us consumers who are considering a bike purchase to make informed decisions. I thank the OP for keeping this thread alive.

I have a Moots Ti bike on order and was curious about their warranty. I purchased from them solely based on reputation. Here is their warranty (a lot longer than 10 years):

WHAT AND WHO THIS WARRANTY COVERS, AND FOR HOW LONG
This limited warranty covers only those Moots bicycle frames purchased directly from Moots or from authorized Moots retailers in the United States. If you purchased your Moots bicycle outside of the United States, the specific warranty will be governed by the law of the country in which it was purchased. Moots warrants to the original owner of this new Moots bicycle frame that the frame shall be free of defective materials and/or workmanship as follows: 1. For all Moots Aluminum Rear Ends of full suspension mountain bikes for two (2) years from the date of purchase. 2. For all other Moots bicycle frames, for the lifetime of the original owner. This does not mean that these frames are indestructible and will last forever. It simply means that these frames are covered under the specific terms of this limited warranty.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To the extent allowed by law, this limited warranty is not effective unless you are the original owner and you complete and send to Moots within 2 weeks of the date of purchase the Moots Bicycle Frame Registration Card. This limited warranty is not transferable

I expect my Moots to last the remainder of my bike riding life (I'm old). If it doesn't I expect Moots will treat me well if I have an issue.
Old 01-21-22, 11:04 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's a good point. I don't know why manufacturers even bother with advertising a "lifetime warranty." Does anyone really expect a bike to last forever? Would folks not buy a bike that had a three or five year warranty? I doubt many even consider the warranty as part of the initial purchase decision. We happily pay 10 or 20 times as much for an auto and most have three year warranties. IMO, bike companies would be smart to limit warranties to three to five years. It would be fair enough since manufacturing defects would show up in that length of time and it would lessen the chance of getting caught up in something like this.
Yeah, I've never checked the warranty of a bike or component before I purchased it. If I did, I would probably consider any warranties over 3 years to be equivalent.
Old 01-21-22, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd guess that Enigma is happy that this is just getting bumped in a market that is largely North America and to my knowledge not big market for Enigma.
Old 01-21-22, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
On the subject of "forever" bikes, I didn't expect it to last until the heat death of the universe, but it wouldn't have been unreasonable to hope that my own personal forever was mostly covered. But that's beside the point. If someone is going to offer a lifetime warranty – and it would be hard to argue it wasn't intended as a major selling point – they'd better be prepared to back it up, not throw up their hands before even 10 years have passed.

As for not checking or caring about the warranty on things, caveat emptor, I guess, and well done to anyone having so much disposable income. To suggest that most of us don't care, especially on expensive items, is a stretch. As long as there are people willing to put up with this crap, there will be companies who try it on.

Originally Posted by bblair
What's with those Ti people?
It's a terrible addiction.
Old 01-21-22, 12:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd guess that Enigma is happy that this is just getting bumped in a market that is largely North America and to my knowledge not big market for Enigma.
With friends like that, who needs Enigmas?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-21-22, 01:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
. As long as there are people willing to put up with this crap, there will be companies who try it on.
Are you putting up with it or not? Seems at this point you'll either need to take legal action or, as you say, put up with it. Which?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-21-22, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Are you putting up with it or not? Seems at this point you'll either need to take legal action or, as you say, put up with it. Which?
The options are:
- Shut up about it. This has certainly been favored by some. Thanks are due @genejockey, @ColoFatherOf3, and everyone else who has an appreciation for why I haven't chosen this option.
- Take legal action. This costs money, you know.
- Post about it and put up with people who want me to shut up about it.

Last edited by 905; 06-27-22 at 08:56 AM.
Likes For 905:
Old 01-21-22, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I wonder if the people at your estate sale will find that frame with cracked welds and admire you more for sticking to your ideals. Or will they just scratch their heads and wonder why you kept it.

Read that with a smile.....

I'm not judging you. I've actually got friends that we argue such stuff over beers.
Old 01-21-22, 02:26 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 905
The options are:
Take legal action. This costs money, you know.
You don't have the equivalent of small claims court in the U.K.? That would be the inexpensive legal path in the U.S.
Old 01-21-22, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You don't have the equivalent of small claims court in the U.K.? That would be the inexpensive legal path in the U.S.
I'd rather not talk legal strategy, or legal anything, here.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I wonder if the people at your estate sale will find that frame with cracked welds and admire you more for sticking to your ideals. Or will they just scratch their heads and wonder why you kept it.

Read that with a smile.....
I did, and hope you'll read this the same way. Would you just throw away something you'd spent a lot of money on? It doesn't take up much room, and is a real conversation piece.
Old 01-21-22, 02:37 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 905
I'd rather not talk legal strategy, or legal anything, here.
It's just a generic question. Does the U.K have something like the U.S. small claims court?
Old 01-21-22, 03:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

[QUOTE=905;22382564] Post about it and put up with people who want me to shut up about it.QUOTE]It just doesn't seem that complaining on the internet is going to advance your situation in any way. Unless I've missed it, you've never posted the actual response from Enigma as to why they wouldn't give you a new bike. It would be interesting to know what their opinion was as to how the damage occurred.
Old 01-21-22, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ColoFatherOf3
I think these types of threads help the rest of us consumers who are considering a bike purchase to make informed decisions. I thank the OP for keeping this thread alive.
You're welcome. I've seen that Moots warranty and could appreciate this:

This does not mean that these frames are indestructible and will last forever.
As you say, one expects to be treated well if there is an issue.

Not sure what I can add at this point that wouldn't be repeating myself, so I'll go with an old favourite:

Last edited by 905; 01-21-22 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For 905:
Old 01-21-22, 08:13 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money
From your version of events you got stiffed. Do you see the link above? Yes you can file a claim on line. For a claim of 2000GBP the court fee is 100 GBP.

Tuchas am tisch!
Old 01-22-22, 03:14 AM

Oy vey.

No offence, but I'm not taking advice online from someone called DangerousDan – the irony alone might kill me. In fact I'm not looking for advice at all. I came here to tell my story, then came back to say how it ended. Some will find it helpful. That's good enough for me.
Likes For 905:
Old 01-22-22, 06:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Still, it would interesting to know the other side of the story. Seems you are leaving the thread incomplete if you won't reveal that....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-22-22, 06:41 AM

I simply don't know their decision-making process, and as they themselves said upthread, they won't comment on individual cases.
Old 01-22-22, 07:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Disingenuous. Post their correspondence?
Old 01-22-22, 07:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Have you contacted Bruce Wayne Enterprises? I believe they've had success in the past dealing with Enigma. Or try Marks & Harrison.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-22, 12:56 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 905
I simply don't know their decision-making process, and as they themselves said upthread, they won't comment on individual cases.
Are you saying they never gave you a reason why they won't fix or replace your frame under warranty? I understand why they won't publicly comment on individual cases, but I find it hard to believe they don't communicate their reasoning to the customer.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-02-22, 11:16 PM
gravel.n.mud

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for this thread and your posts. I was considering Enigma and was close to making a purchase and having a frame shipped to a country in Asia with a hefty import duty. You saved me some serious dough.

This is exactly why a forum should exist.
Likes For gravel.n.mud: