Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Optimo 1x conversion questions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-17-22, 03:59 AM
toksuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone. Please bear with me as I'm no expert.

So, I decided to get the Cannondale 2021 Optimo 1 with 105 groupset. As it was my intention, I want to make it into a 1x. It comes with a 50-34 / 11-30. The BCD on the FSA Gossamer crank is 110.

I currently ride a BMC Alpenchallenge Sora 9 speed with 50-34 and 11-32T. I only ride on the 50 and I don't use the top gear. I am also planning to ride this in Berlin and thereabouts and we have no hills to speak of.

Therefore I went to the trusty gear configurator to figure which chainring I will need and came to the conclusion that 46 paired with the stock 11-30 will get me fast enough on the top gear.

Here is the question. I want to get the oval chainring from Wolftooth, but the FSA Gossamer crank that comes stock with the Optimo does not have an option for a 46.

Therefore I need to get a new crank. Should I get the 105 crank or a GRX crank? Would the BCD still be the same 110 if I switch to a new crank?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Old 01-17-22, 07:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by toksuede
Hello everyone. Please bear with me as I'm no expert.

So, I decided to get the Cannondale 2021 Optimo 1 with 105 groupset. As it was my intention, I want to make it into a 1x. It comes with a 50-34 / 11-30. The BCD on the FSA Gossamer crank is 110.

I currently ride a BMC Alpenchallenge Sora 9 speed with 50-34 and 11-32T. I only ride on the 50 and I don't use the top gear. I am also planning to ride this in Berlin and thereabouts and we have no hills to speak of.

Therefore I went to the trusty gear configurator to figure which chainring I will need and came to the conclusion that 46 paired with the stock 11-30 will get me fast enough on the top gear.

Here is the question. I want to get the oval chainring from Wolftooth, but the FSA Gossamer crank that comes stock with the Optimo does not have an option for a 46.

Therefore I need to get a new crank. Should I get the 105 crank or a GRX crank? Would the BCD still be the same 110 if I switch to a new crank?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Of the two, only the GRX is available as single ring, 40t or 42t. If you intend to swap chainrings, keep in mind that Shimano 110 spacing is unique, not the same as traditional 110. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-22, 05:09 AM
toksuede

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Of the two, only the GRX is available as single ring, 40t or 42t. If you intend to swap chainrings, keep in mind that Shimano 110 spacing is unique, not the same as traditional 110. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I went with the 42t from Wolftooth, combined with the stock crank and not the GRX/105.
Hopefully that will be okay. Will email Cannondale about the clearance between the frame and the new chainring.
Likes For toksuede:
Old 01-18-22, 10:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I run a 1x Raceface 42T narrow/wide ring on an FSA Gossamer crank, on a Cannondale CAADX that originally had 2x 105 (but now has SRAM Force 1x).
It works perfectly. The only complication I ran into was needing new bolts for the chainring, as the bolts that attached the 2x ring were longer than the bolts needed to attach a 1x ring.
Old 01-20-22, 04:26 AM
toksuede

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds great. How is the ride? Is your cassette similar to my ratio? Any tips on getting the chainline correct? So far I've managed to get all the parts for the upgrade except for shoes. Since I have wide feet, I am doing a shotgun approach and ordering as many shoes as I can and will test them to see which one will fit.