Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Had a break in - lots of C&V stuff stolen

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Had a break in - lots of C&V stuff stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 01:44 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Holding onto hope that they'll catch up with your stuff. With Tweaker Squirrel having only 1 day's head start, they might have a chance.
Old 01-30-23, 01:48 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
+1 to this. Those bikes are all unique. Good police detective work could sniff them out and maybe send do an undercover sting to re-buy the bikes if the thief tries to flip them.
We had a robbery several years ago - our fault for forgetting to lock the dead bolt on the front door. We were out of the house for less than 45 minutes and the thief managed to break in and steal a laptop, some silver, some jewelery, and most importantly a lockbox contaning saving bonds, passports, marriage license, birth certificates, and other family papers. I had to show the police how the robber broke in (multiple digs with a screwdriver on the door latch).
Homeowners insurance covered the damage to the door and some jewelry. The police came back a couple of times to show us items that had been recovered that were in no way related to the ones we had reported. Sorry if I sound cynical.
Good luck.
Old 01-30-23, 03:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
No Good, no good as an employee used to say.
hurts big time.
best of luck the police or the DA gets the perp to cough up where the stuff went.

maybe HE has a storage locker elsewhere?
Old 01-30-23, 03:34 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'll keep an eye out on the local for sale platforms. Glad you had pics of the bikes.
thanks Shoota - I’ve put the same pics on the Okie cycling garage sale on Facebook and the police said they would search the pawnshop database
Old 01-30-23, 03:36 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Holding onto hope that they'll catch up with your stuff. With Tweaker Squirrel having only 1 day's head start, they might have a chance.
the disheartening thing is that, while shiny and pretty, those old Campy parts aren’t worth anything to a pawn shop, and outside of being conversation pieces really aren’t worth much to a modern bike shop either
Old 01-30-23, 03:40 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by dweenk
. Sorry if I sound cynical.
Good luck.
I know the feeling.

I keep my C&V ‘71 Chevrolet Cheyenne truck parked in the same space so the first thing I asked when I got the call was “Is the truck okay?”

thankfully the battery was dead as a doornail- but it has since been moved back to my house
Old 01-30-23, 03:40 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I am so sorry!! I had a break in way back in 1977.

I've used Amazon Blink camaras since 2019.
Old 01-30-23, 03:52 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
the disheartening thing is that, while shiny and pretty, those old Campy parts aren’t worth anything to a pawn shop, and outside of being conversation pieces really aren’t worth much to a modern bike shop either
It might work out in your favor if they basically "stay put" wherever they were stashed. Hope your locals look into whether or not they may be stashed in another storage unit somewhere in the vicinity.
Old 01-30-23, 04:19 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
those old Campy parts really aren’t worth much to a modern bike shop either.
Depends on the city and the shop. Norman, OK, not so much.

Boomer Sooner!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-30-23, 05:39 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
That sucks

It could have been much worse it seems so there is always a silver lining

And at least no one was hurt

I often think about my collection and anytime when I have been out riding something nice (read: expensive) I do a couple of laps around my 'hood to be sure that no one is following me

Probably a bit paranoid but these are difficult times
Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 01-30-23, 07:10 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
My condolences, I've also had my bikes ripped off. Check the local pawn shops as well as other resellers, and hopefully something will break (hopefully the bones of these scumbag thieves).
And set search alerts on Craigslist, OfferUp, and FB Marketplace.
Old 01-30-23, 07:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
thanks Shoota - I’ve put the same pics on the Okie cycling garage sale on Facebook and the police said they would search the pawnshop database
I didn't notice right off you are an Okie. I look at the Tulsa area CL and facebook marketplace every day even if I'm not looking for anything. I'll keep an eye on them.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-30-23, 07:19 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Praying for you that you are made whole somehow. This shouldn't happen to anyone. Thieves suck. I hope the crooks get punished and that they get whatever the maximum sentence is.

Even then it won't repay you for the frustration, lost time and lost faith in humanity.

Take care friend!
Ray
Old 01-30-23, 08:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
That sucks

I often think about my collection and anytime when I have been out riding something nice (read: expensive) I do a couple of laps around my 'hood to be sure that no one is following me

I always stare anybody down that isn't eyes forward when passing my house with the garage door open, I'm watching you.

Good idea on the loop around which I often do to get the next whole mile done.
Old 01-30-23, 09:12 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Oh, that's terrible. Really sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to either get the goods back or be compensated one way or the other.

I agree that it is demoralizing. Not quite the same, but years ago my car was broken into and someone took two large CD cases containing, among other things, my whole collection of 30+ Bob Dylan albums. I never had the will or stomach to replace them (this was before streaming options, thank goodness for Spotify), so I can understand your being dejected and "feeling 'done' with this." It does sting less with time, but nothing heals like justice.

Thieves do indeed suck.
Old 02-01-23, 09:33 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'd bet the MTB will be found for sale somewhere in CO, nearby where there are a lot of them selling and they'll blend in. Those were the ones that caught the eye of the theives. Sadly, the parts and frame are almost certainly scrapped or dumped. Same with the Raleigh. The Marin might be found in a local OU/CL/FB, as it looks like an average bike.

Here in the PNW (like most large cities with the police on soft-strikes...), theft has been out of control since late '19. I was hit 4x from late 19' through early '21. Fortunately I only lost a few cheap bikes in the garage and they couldn't get through my basement window after breaking the window. A few of us in the area tried to monitor the nearby encampments. There were times a truck would bring in full loads of bikes. Tweakers might be stupid, but they are way more coordinated that most would think. There are groups that watch all the stolen bikes from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC and even some SF bay ones that end up on our local for sale sites, sometimes in less than 24hrs and hundreds of miles away..
Old 02-01-23, 10:05 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
thefts.

good to hear they found the vehicle but just how did they get into the complex which are usually secured with a perimeter fence? maybe you can file a civil suit against the driver & put a lien on his possessions if he fails to return your property.lesson learned,sorry for your misfortune.
Old 02-01-23, 11:54 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this Hope the thieves will be caught and that your insurance reimburse you the damages.
Old 02-01-23, 02:49 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Trying to turn my garage into a "Garage Mahal" type of thing with new flooring and fresh paint, so i cleaned a few old bikes (and not so old bikes) and box after box filled with nice components was moved over to a small warehouse space i rent in an industrial complex

Its within a mile of where i live so i had no qualms about leaving the door open while i ferried stuff back and forth from my house, as the 16 ft tall overhead door is painful to open and close repeatedly.
That was last Sunday and nothing hapened then, but 2 days later the manager of the facility called me with the bad news

Had a break in and my unit was the only one targeted - so somebody drove by evidently when i was working on clean-up and said "hmmmm- possibly nice stuff in there, "

Literally had clear plastic tote bins stacked 6 high just like pictured below , -- filled with predominately Campagnolo 8 speed Ergopower build kits and individual components, -- a lot of Racing T stuff too

They left me one box full of Shimano stuff

all and all, the tally for cycling related stuff was a late model Yeti SB-95 mountain bike, C&V Marin gravel bike build, my '75 Raleigh Competition, a year old SE 29" BMX bike, plus a Vianelli frameset -- and 6 tote boxes full of Campy -- How did they know to leave the Shimano bio pace stuff behind? - LOL - but security cameras just showed a blurry image of a short bed half ton truck, so given this happened in the dead of night, it looks like they just probably started grabbing stuff and throwing it in the track as fast as they could

Lots of small lawn equipment gone -- weedeater, edger, gas powered post hole digger, plus a couple of soft side Yeti brand coolers and likely lots of other stuff i havent got sorted out yet

9 plastic totes like this in there and this is what they left me

just junk stripped off donor frames and the like

Not very thorough - this is an example of some of the stuff they left -- but i venture a guess that that 1/2 ton was loaded to the gills when they pulled out

There is a Litespeed in here, a sweet Santa Cruz dual suspension bike , and another couple of SE BMX bikes plus more lawn equipment, expensive coolers, kayaks and other things

But these are the bikes that are gone -- good grief -- they had to have just callously stacked them on top of each other

Sorry for your loss, have you asked the warehouse for the video footage?
If they didn't give it to you then ask the police to inquire and file a theft report.
Most of these places have a keypad entry system, they know who was in the park.
I'm really along the thought line that an inside job is the most likely scenario.
Inside job because someone had the time to pick what they wanted. There was no hurry.
Old 02-01-23, 03:47 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Man, I am really sorry to hear about this.
Make sure you report it to the police. I live in Norman too, so if I see anything I’ll be sure to let you know.
Old 02-01-23, 03:55 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
That sucks

Me too, I ride nearby my neighbourhood and in broad day light. We need to be careful these days
Old 02-05-23, 10:57 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Sorry for your loss, have you asked the warehouse for the video footage?
If they didn't give it to you then ask the police to inquire and file a theft report.
Most of these places have a keypad entry system, they know who was in the park.
I'm really along the thought line that an inside job is the most likely scenario.
Inside job because someone had the time to pick what they wanted. There was no hurry.
yes. Guy went to jail. I found him the next day based on vehicle description.

There is no gated entry. Place is a small business park primarily with a few oversized garages (50 x18) like mine to rent that are geared more towards parking motor homes. But works great for lawn equipment, classic cars etc. too. I had been working there on a Sunday and had the door up for an extended period - dude returned on a Tuesday night in the middle of a snowstorm and simply started loading up stuff closest to the door.

I hate to think about it but one of the earlier posters for stated that the components and the truly old stuff would probably wind up in a dumpster was probably right

So much stuff was left behind. For instance, I had four nice yeti brand coolers in there and the guy only took the two that were stacked on top. Security cameras showed it was only an eight minute operation
Old 02-05-23, 11:04 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
I live in Norman too, so if I see anything I’ll be sure to let you know.
Thank you. I also put up some feelers on a couple of the Oklahoma cycling Facebook sites but it feels like the trail is starting to grow cold

Since you’re in Norman too I will put out a shameless plug for Scissortail cycles repair shop on East Gray close to the RR tracks. Shop has slightly different hours as Dewayne the owner is working on welding up custom frames on Mondays and Tuesdays but is open Wednesday through Saturday!

former lead mechanic at Buchanans, he has experience ranging from helping me with old projects on up to working on the most modern e-bikes
Old 02-05-23, 11:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
yes. Guy went to jail. I found him the next day based on vehicle description.
So the guy had already unloaded everything, and it's "gone?"

So sorry. Again- best luck for recovery and hope you can get some insurance help with it.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-05-23, 10:14 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Great
Thank you. I also put up some feelers on a couple of the Oklahoma cycling Facebook sites but it feels like the trail is starting to grow cold

Since you’re in Norman too I will put out a shameless plug for Scissortail cycles repair shop on East Gray close to the RR tracks. Shop has slightly different hours as Dewayne the owner is working on welding up custom frames on Mondays and Tuesdays but is open Wednesday through Saturday!

former lead mechanic at Buchanans, he has experience ranging from helping me with old projects on up to working on the most modern e-bikes
Recently had Dewayne check the frame alignment on a Peugeot Dolomites. Nice to meet him at his new shop. Years ago had my Roberts 1978-9 touring frame built up at Buchanans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.