Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Repair

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Repair

Old 04-03-17, 07:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'll probably have to balance the wheel after this....

Update: Rode it several rides- maybe 200 miles. The stitching held well,

but there's a slight bump, noticeable mainly on very smooth pavement.

Just pulled it off; satisfied w/ the experiment, but moving on to a new tire..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1587.jpg (91.1 KB, 800 views)

Last edited by woodcraft; 09-08-17 at 12:35 AM.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-12-17, 06:05 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I removed the ripped leather and foam covering from my Selle SMP Evolution saddle

Removing the Leather
by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
So that it is just the plastic remaining

Leatherless Selle SMP Evolution Saddle
and it works fine. I did not like the shape of the Dynamic saddle that I bought to replace it.

i updated the Sidi-fied heels of my shoes and tried putting some liquid plastic on the cleats
S
idi-ed Heels and Shoe-goo-ed Cleats
But the stuff I bought was so hard that it made walking on flooring like ice skating so I tried some rubber pads instead using the carbon epoxy that I used to mend the toe of my left hand shoe.

Added Carbon and Rubber
The carbon is from a Carbonology repair kit as before. The rubber pads soon came off. I have some Chinese shoo goo on order.

I while back I put a spare rear light on one of my bikes.

I also changed the bottom bracket on my other bike but failed to prevent the creak coming from that area. I don't think it is the pedals or the chainrings (which do creak if those star shaped nuts get loose) so I am not sure what the cause of the creak could be.

I got cheap chain checker but it says my chain is not yet worn even though it is slipping.

I also raised my saddle even more than abnormal since I damaged my thigh in karate.
Old 08-04-17, 07:42 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

I got the dreaded "bottom bracket creaks". I googled these two checklists on other forums. The first on road bike review did not have what turned out to the the cure
Clicking and Creaking sound/noise checklist
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/...omment13782570

I CLEANED MY DROPOUTS!

The grit in the dropouts, combined with a not very tight, lightweight open cam quick release allowed micro movements of the rear wheel as I pedalled, resulting in carbon frame creak. Changing to a sturdy closed cam quick release reduced the noise. Wiping with a rag almost got rid of it. Cleaning with brake cleaner (and scratching the paint off the surface of the dérailleur hanger) got rid of the creak completely!

I have junked a carbon frame for this! Tell the world! Clean your dropouts!

My KMC missing link is going parallelogram and could be lethal so I have ordered one of those too. It comes in three days. I hope my chain does not break before then. Death.

I am bidding on a non-compact crank set since I am always in my highest gear and destroying freehubs partly as a result, I think. I want to be in third from top when cruising (leaving the top to for downhills and tailwinds) not in top gear all the time.
Old 08-04-17, 08:59 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My front derailleur cable slipped, must have neglected to torque it. I don't use it much, so never noticed. Also re dished the rear wheel.
Old 09-04-17, 05:42 AM
timtak

drop bar grip discovery

I had my gear cables changed and the bar tape at the same time. I chose the cheapest, highest visibility tape and found the bar tape to be very thin and harsh on my hands. So, after trying some 100 yen shop prototypes,

Cheap Bar Tape Augmented with 100 yen Shop Bar Grips
I ordered some ordinary shopper/MTB handlebar grips from China for about 1.5USD in the same colour as my new bar tape.

Now with Yellow Bar Grips

I find that the only place I put my weight is on the hoods (where tape has little impact) and on or in the drops, where this new idea to use standard grips on the drops is highly recommended. It was tough getting them on though since they are for 22mm bars where as my bars are "oversized" but with some washing up liquid and effort they are on and ready for tomorrow morning's cycle.

"Drop Tube" handlebar grips in one of seven colours available here
https://goo.gl/enAXCQ

I think that most people who use their drops would be well advised to use some simple handlebar grips on their drops. I am sure why I did not think of this sooner.

Last edited by timtak; 09-04-17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 06:20 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks AMAZING!!! Bravo!
Old 09-04-17, 08:07 AM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recovered a S-Works saddle with leather after it had worn itself out.

I patched Three pairs of bibs that had worn holes in them from my saddle bag on my commuter.
Old 09-04-17, 08:29 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yellow handlebar tape for daughter's bike, to make it look prettier.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-04-17, 09:36 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
New chain on the CF roadie today. Maybe rewrap the bars too.
Old 09-04-17, 11:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Replaced the battery in my speed/cadence sensor.
Old 09-04-17, 01:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Minor adjustments to both derailleurs. No more clanging on the FD in the lowest gear, and now I'm hitting the 11 in the back just great!
Old 09-04-17, 01:19 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Had the windshield replaced in my pickup after taking two rocks during trip to Blazing Saddle 75 in Granbury, TX.
Old 09-05-17, 01:20 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I had my gear cables changed and the bar tape at the same time. I chose the cheapest, highest visibility tape and found the bar tape to be very thin and harsh on my hands. So, after trying some 100 yen shop prototypes,
Cheap Bar Tape Augmented with 100 yen Shop Bar Grips[/URL] by
I ordered some ordinary shopper/MTB handlebar grips from China for about 1.5USD in the same colour as my new bar tape.

I find that the only place I put my weight is on the hoods (where tape has little impact) and on or in the drops, where this new idea to use standard grips on the drops is highly recommended. It was tough getting them on though since they are for 22mm bars where as my bars are "oversized" but with some washing up liquid and effort they are on and ready for tomorrow morning's cycle.

"Drop Tube" handlebar grips in one of seven colours available here
https://goo.gl/enAXCQ

I think that most people who use their drops would be well advised to use some simple handlebar grips on their drops. I am sure why I did not think of this sooner.
What's going on with that stem? That has to be over -17 right?
Old 09-05-17, 01:53 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Installed titanium bolts in the front suspension pivots of my folding bike. I also cleaned the chain on the same bike, and my wife's bike. I replaced the brake pads on my old Gios, and trued the wheels as close to perfect as I could get them (which was pretty close). The original Record brake/shifter levers were worn and scratched, I was able to find a set of NOS Record 9 speed carbon levers for a decent price, and installed them with an NOS Record 9 speed carbon rear derailleur. The bike shifts like new again.

This week I need to install a new carbon seat post and a new B17 Ti seat on my Birdy folder. My folder was originally a 1x8 with Sora components. I upgraded it to Dura-Ace 7800 on the front, and XTR 9000 on the rear, giving me a 2x11 setup with a 40t big gear in the back. I had to fabricate a bracket to hold the 7800 front derailleur, and then modify the shifter and derailleur lever length to give me the right travel. The cage interfered with the rear swing arm, so I had to grind part of it away.
Likes For Sangetsu:
Old 09-05-17, 02:09 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by evan326
What's going on with that stem? That has to be over -17 right?
15 - 30 a "Rock Crawler" "trial bike" (not time trial bike) stem flipped due to my purchase of a fairly "relaxed" bike in a smallish size. I can't find them any more.

These look good.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cycl...8-3042ecdc7467
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adju...1-acd201efa00b
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
This week I need to install a new carbon seat post and a new B17 Ti seat on my Birdy folder. My folder was originally a 1x8 with Sora components. I upgraded it to Dura-Ace 7800 on the front, and XTR 9000 on the rear, giving me a 2x11 setup with a 40t big gear in the back. I had to fabricate a bracket to hold the 7800 front derailleur, and then modify the shifter and derailleur lever length to give me the right travel. The cage interfered with the rear swing arm, so I had to grind part of it away.
Very enterprising. Way beyond my capabilities.
Old 09-05-17, 04:58 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
15 - 30 a "Rock Crawler" "trial bike" (not time trial bike) stem flipped due to my purchase of a fairly "relaxed" bike in a smallish size. I can't find them any more.
Lol well I was going to have nothing to report but now I'm going to drop my quill stem an inch after seeing that pic, that's crazy slammed. I've been meaning to do it for awhile now that I've gotten better at tucking.
Old 09-05-17, 07:09 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Lol well I was going to have nothing to report but now I'm going to drop my quill stem an inch after seeing that pic, that's crazy slammed. I've been meaning to do it for awhile now that I've gotten better at tucking.
Back (?) in the days of quill stems there seems to have been a lot of long, negatively inclined stems. I have recently been thinking of purchasing a beautiful ftitanium framed keirin bike with a quill stem but the online site may be a rip off, which is a great shame.
**********)???? PRESTO ULTEGRA **********?? **********? ??? ?? HONJO 540********************???? ********************************************************************************?? ??? ??? ********** ??? - 103,500?
Old 09-05-17, 07:16 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's going to be removing some kind of some, glass, or nail from my tire/tube and patching the tube, one it stops raining.
Old 09-06-17, 06:42 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
New chain on the CF roadie today.
I am about to do this too because my carbon fibre roadie is creaking again. I wonder if the chain will help. Just tightening and improving the rear quick release worked for a while.

And for the past two days we have had light rain during which time the creaking has ceased suggesting to me that it is a lubrication/tightening issue not a cracked frame.

One of the "drop tubes" (handlebar grips) on my drops burst apart. The 100 yen shop grips were more flexible but a bit shorter. I have ordered some more grips like the 100 yen shop grips but a bit longer (and partly in yellow) from alixexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pc-...311.0.0.xzNZih
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...311.0.0.xzNZih
New chain. Perhaps a new cassette.
Old 09-06-17, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
My front tubeless tire punctured during a century ride to NYC on Sunday. It repaired itself as I took a bite of an apple.
Old 09-07-17, 05:26 AM
timtak

I am still working on my handlebars.

My new yellow drop tubes (handlebar grips) split fell off on one side and before the aliexpress grips could arrive, I realised that I had a 45cm long closed cell foam tube, designed for padding chair legs and such for those that have toddlers (I guess). Unfortunately it is brown and the cells are not quite closed so it takes on a bit of water in the wet, but it goes right up into the ⊃ of my drops. This is comfort.
Bar Grip Evolution by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

Additionally, I have attached the grip that split and fell off to the top of my bars with cable ties.

I have paid lots of money for carbon fibre forks (and frame) only to ride around on a handlebar without much in the way of padding. Why is grip tape so thin?
Old 10-01-17, 12:48 AM
timtak

The chain and chainwheel was warn, and I was always in the smallest 12T at the back, so I swapped to a 11-25T cassette, a new chain, and a non compact right hand side Ultegra 130 PCD BCD standard crank paired with my old 10 crank on the left. The only non-compatibility appears to be the plastic crank mounting bolt (which I have on order, but for the time being just tapped both sides with a mallet) and the colour. I have Ultegra silver bling on the right and 105 black on the left.

I would prefer 53 (or 54 of 58) 39 but I had a 42 to hand and 53 in 9 speed was cheap so 53-42t it is.

53-42T Ultegra Right Crank

105 Left Crank
And my bars are now wrapped up like a sofa. Old man?

Sofa Bars

I am not sure why I did not pad my handlebars a decade ago.
Old 10-01-17, 03:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
On my own bike? Replacing the stripped axle key on my Sturmey-Archer hub.
Old 10-01-17, 04:58 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Frame 'repair'. Over 300 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1769.jpg (92.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 10-23-17, 06:27 PM
timtak

I had a bike shop replace my front derailleur wire. There are two types of bike shop in Japan. Those that service shoppers and those that cater to road bikers. The former are very cheap, the latter very expensive. The gear wire (inner and outer) replacement was 15USD including wire. I want to go and give them a present.

The wire replacement required the removal of my bar tape and 'drop tube' (my name for road bike handlebar padding) which split when being pushed back on. I used some more Chinese bar grip covers from aliexpress at less than 1 USD again to replace it. I will get another two more grips for symmetry.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pc-...311.0.0.lriDr7

Drop Tube Replaced with Chinese Grips
I just don't know how I managed to cycle 10 years without padding my handlebars. I got the idea because my local road-bike-related bike shop charged me 16USD for some paper thin bar tape.

I still have not sourced some padding for the hoods. The yellow grips are a bit too smooth. The stripey red ones above are a bit too short (10.5cm - I need 13cm)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.