Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What the Hell with the blow darts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What the Hell with the blow darts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 01:40 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Not to encourage this kind of thing, but just curious ... could someone fire off a handgun, say, a .38, while riding a bike, and remain upright and traveling in a straight line?
Originally Posted by gholt
I think the movies make this look too easy. Firing a handgun at a target with both hands and staying steady takes some practice. I don't think this would be too easy on a bike especially afte the gun kicks.
Firing, remaining upright and travelling straight wouldn't be much of an issue. It's gholt's statement that brings it home: Staying steady takes some practice.
I grew up around firearms and I've been on shooting teams for everything from 5m air rifles when I was a little kid to 100m pistol knockdowns and 1000m rifle matches. The most difficult by far was 50m knockdowns wtih a .22 during biathlon. Coming off a strenuous physical activity (5k ski lap) and trying to settle into a steady shooting rhythm is not easy.
Now, complicate it further by not stopping, and trying to hit a moving target from a moving firing station. Kids, this is not the smartest idea anyone's come up with. Keep the "Gunsmoke" fantasies in your head, and follow the advice of the Man in Black: Leave your guns at home, Bill. Don't bring your guns to town.
Old 05-11-10, 01:48 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
Human beings are so stupid, how on Earth did we ever become the dominant species?
We may be stupid, but we share what we know.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-11-10, 02:55 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thorsteno
What about alligators and crocs khutch?
Alligators and crocodiles are reptiles as are a host of other living snakes, lizards, turtles, etc. However even though reptiles and dinosaurs are related and dinosaurs may still be generally regarded as part of the reptile family, no living reptile is a dinosaur. Birds on the other hand are belatedly recognized to be dinosaurs, the only living survivors of the dinosaur family. Curiously while dinosaurs are, or were at least, regarded as reptiles I don't believe birds are or ever will be. Birds have an odd metabolism and some scientists now believe that their closest dinosaur relatives must have had a similar metabolism. Perhaps some day all of them will be regarded as something other than reptiles. Birds are clearly warm blooded and it is strongly suspected that some of the iconic two legged predatory dinosaurs were too.

Ken
Old 05-11-10, 04:07 PM
brumskee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Wow, this is an all new low for America. Kids shooting cyclists because they can't defend themselves and they think it is funny.
A 32 auto is light and fits in a jersey pocket. I had a dog killed by a neigbor with a pellet gun, with one shot. I consider a asault with a pellet gun potentialy lethal. If I get a clean shot, I'm returning some lead. Lets see how funny they think that is.
Old 05-11-10, 04:23 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry.

I don't think laying waste to everybody in the car with an automatic weapon is the answer. Not going to solve anything for the OP.

Write up a huge banner and unfurl it during rush-hour... "A society is judged by it's kindness to the vulnerable, last week a man shot at me for no reason."

Well, you get the idea.
Old 05-11-10, 04:24 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I've been randomly hit with trash, in the head with a firecracker, in the face with a BB gun, and been punched in the head from behind while walking. Never had a chance to do anything about it, never saw who did it. There is no good way to prevent or get justice for s**t like this. There are evil people in this world. I just try not to let it keep me from enjoying the rest of my life.
Old 05-11-10, 04:27 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Kids, this is not the smartest idea anyone's come up with. Keep the "Gunsmoke" fantasies in your head, and follow the advice of the Man in Black: Leave your guns at home, Bill. Don't bring your guns to town.
Hand grenades.
Old 05-11-10, 05:00 PM
brumskee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Sorry.

I don't think laying waste to everybody in the car with an automatic weapon is the answer. Not going to solve anything for the OP.

Write up a huge banner and unfurl it during rush-hour... "A society is judged by it's kindness to the vulnerable, last week a man shot at me for no reason."

Well, you get the idea.
Nice thought. Bet it would really tug at the heart of what ever punk thinks lethal assault is funny. A jug of clorox in the ol' gene pool might work better.
That is quite a sensational bit of writing there, you should write for the news, same twist and spin. Where was it said shoot at everybody in the car? You stop the threat, no more no less. BTW 32 auto is the ammo designation. The pistol is semi auto. Do you know the difference between an automatic and semi automatic weapon? You should.
Old 05-11-10, 05:17 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To answer the question of location for those who are familiar with the town, I was on the corner of Austin Bluffs and Nevada. The hoods turned left in front of me to head up the University. I have already developed alternative routes - I have three that I mix up, but with the construction between Academy and I-25, my selection is limited.

I'm not a fan of guns, especially on bikes, and I am always amused at how these threads turn into a debate on the second amendment, but I do appreciate the support. I think the best weapon in this case is a good camera with a strong flash, and there's always the pepper spray I have yet to use on a dog, let alone someone who was raised by wolves.

The adrenaline rush helped me cut 7 1/2 minutes off of the remaining 4 miles of the commute.
Old 05-11-10, 05:28 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry.

I don't think laying waste to everybody in the car with an automatic weapon is the answer.
I haven't seen anyone in this thread even mention any automatic weapon.
Old 05-11-10, 05:29 PM
Nigal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gawd help them if i found them before the cops did.
Old 05-11-10, 05:33 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brumskee
Nice thought. Bet it would really tug at the heart of what ever punk thinks lethal assault is funny. A jug of clorox in the ol' gene pool might work better.
That is quite a sensational bit of writing there, you should write for the news, same twist and spin. Where was it said shoot at everybody in the car? You stop the threat, no more no less. BTW 32 auto is the ammo designation. The pistol is semi auto. Do you know the difference between an automatic and semi automatic weapon? You should.
The point is, somebody knows those people who are shooting randomly at people... maybe one of them or a witness will develop a conscious and turn them in. Instead people just want to shoot other people, i think that is easier, to just shoot at somebody and claim it solved the problem when in this case it just makes for a bigger problem.

I know the difference between such weapons, men in my country have no need to carry either type of pistol in their daily lives.
Old 05-11-10, 06:35 PM
brumskee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point is, somebody knows those people who are shooting randomly at people... maybe one of them or a witness will develop a conscious and turn them in. Instead people just want to shoot other people, i think that is easier, to just shoot at somebody and claim it solved the problem when in this case it just makes for a bigger problem.

I know the difference between such weapons, men in my country have no need to carry either type of pistol in their daily lives.
Solves the problem if it keeps me from being shot. I have been shot twice while serving in the military, no fun at all.

If true you are lucky. Not everyone is fortunate to live where it is entirly safe

Last edited by brumskee; 05-11-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 06:46 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brumskee
Solves the problem if it keeps me from being shot. I have been shot twice while serving in the milatary, no fun at all.

If true you are lucky. Not everyone is fortunate to live where it is entirly safe
Oh, it isn't entirely safe here.

Reminds me of a quote from the mahatma: "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for."

Last edited by electrik; 05-11-10 at 07:23 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-11-10, 06:51 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
We can't carry guns in Canada but even if we could, I'd worry more about shooting the wrong person.
Old 05-11-10, 07:00 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-11-10, 07:11 PM
Harvey2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Total airgun afficianado here. I know they can be lethal. Most would be surprised at the calibers available in the precharged pneumatics nowadays. Shooting back though? Not unless they've cornered you/you can't talk your way out of it/ they're in your domicile.

Two things come to mind. If you have to, spray the driver with a shot of pepper spray. Best yet I think would be to hit the passengers with a high intensity flashbulb. One preferably attached to a camera.

But the shooting back thing. I don't think anyone here but a hardened war vet would be able to live very well with the memory of killing a perp here on US soil. Some of us would, but it's something no one ever talks about.

Even a .32 could potentially stop someone. But why risk it? Just get a .40 and be done with it.

Harv
Old 05-11-10, 07:21 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^-lol

tor pee doh'd
Old 05-11-10, 08:42 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The world is full of odd people with strange hobbies. But don’t let the adrenalin go to your head. You'll likely never see them again.

As far as the gun toting cyclists go, isn’t it wrong to shoot someone who is driving away from you, even if they did take a shot? You’d have to shoot them as they came up on you to be justified. Otherwise you will have forfeited your right to carry legally.
Old 05-11-10, 08:57 PM
JFlurett
Bike Riding Hippie

Bikes: Tricross Singlecross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is always amazing to me that retaliation is shot down so quickly in these discussions (and in America). It's almost viewed as OK for people to do mindless and cruel **** to random people.

You people are losing sight of what has been mentioned a few times in this thread. At minimum this is assault with a deadly weapon, with the potential to severely injure, paralyze, or kill the biker. I'd take that very seriously, and would have no problem returning fire if I owned a gun. At minimum put a bullet hole in the trunk lid. Now we are looking for a gray Acura with a bullet hole in the trunk lid.

By allowing this type of crap to continue with no repercussion we perpetuate the problem. Just like nothing ever happens to little Jimmy throwing rocks at cars at the bus stop.

We make all kinds of excuses to not react, when it is not the victim who is the instigator.
Old 05-11-10, 09:07 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JFlurett
It is always amazing to me that retaliation is shot down so quickly in these discussions (and in America). It's almost viewed as OK for people to do mindless and cruel **** to random people.

You people are losing sight of what has been mentioned a few times in this thread. At minimum this is assault with a deadly weapon, with the potential to severely injure, paralyze, or kill the biker. I'd take that very seriously, and would have no problem returning fire if I owned a gun. At minimum put a bullet hole in the trunk lid. Now we are looking for a gray Acura with a bullet hole in the trunk lid.

By allowing this type of crap to continue with no repercussion we perpetuate the problem. Just like nothing ever happens to little Jimmy throwing rocks at cars at the bus stop.

We make all kinds of excuses to not react, when it is not the victim who is the instigator.
No doubt it was a serious attack, who knows what was on the dart to begin with. In this situation the OP didn't even have time to get the plates, let alone unholster a pistol and try to hit a 6" tall car trunk that is already a hundred meters away.
Old 05-11-10, 09:16 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No doubt it was a serious attack, who knows what was on the dart to begin with. In this situation the OP didn't even have time to get the plates, let alone unholster a pistol and try to hit a 6" tall car trunk that is already a hundred meters away.
OP here, and precisely this. My thought has already been echoed in this thread - a high lumen flash, a camera, and pepper spray, in addition to a quick 911. I'm concerned that there may have been something on the dart, but luckily it didn't hit me. Escalating the incident with guns would accomplish nothing IMHO, except perhaps get them to stop and pull a real gun of their own. Idiots like this prefer to act in anonymity, hence the drive-by nature of the crime. The best weapon is to be more aware and get plates next time.

Last edited by RT; 05-11-10 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 09:20 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Can't you wear a jersey with the letters POLICE written on the back? I'm pretty sure that would make most people think twice about shooting. Simply wearing a jersey that says police, but not otherwise acting or representing yourself as one does not mean you're impersonating an officer.
Old 05-11-10, 09:58 PM
JFlurett
Bike Riding Hippie

Bikes: Tricross Singlecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
Can't you wear a jersey with the letters POLICE written on the back? I'm pretty sure that would make most people think twice about shooting. Simply wearing a jersey that says police, but not otherwise acting or representing yourself as one does not mean you're impersonating an officer.
I'm sorry, but all these types of suggestions will take this in the complete opposite direction.

To be clear on my first post, I was not suggesting that you should have done that, or that is was feasible in your situation. However, what I AM saying is... I would have had no problem with it if you did. Further to the point, I think our legal system shouldn't have a problem with it either.
Old 05-11-10, 10:14 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Even if the police caught up to the people who did this it becomes a case of your word vs. theirs. Atleast that is what the police told me when someone threw a cup of something at me on my way into work. I even had the plate number plus make and model of the car as well as the cup sitting in the middle of the road.

Ever since that incident I make a game of reading every license plate of cars that pass me. Fortunately it has only happened once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.