Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling in Princeton, NJ...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 09:48 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm moving next week from Boston (Cambridge) to Princeton, NJ. I've been riding seriously for about 4 years now, and I generally ride about 25-30 miles at least 3 times a week. If anyone lives nearby, I'd be interested in your thoughts on good routes, which bike shops you've found to be reputable (Kopp's? Knapps? Jays? Others?), group rides, and any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

MSC
Litespeed Firenze '04
Raleigh Gran Sport '83
Old 08-11-05, 11:18 PM
climbo

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry to hear that

Princeton is a strange town but regardless, there is plenty of riding that way. If you search New Jersey or Princeton on here, you'll get plenty of info. Princeton Freewheelers have a website, they are the local crew. There are many other teams and rides out of bike shops in the area. Different types, different days of the week.

Knapps I know the owner and rode with him a bit, great guy, good shop, Monday evening rides. Bernie's in Hamilton was my all time fave shop, Ed is the best mechanic around although some find him a little surly.

You can pretty much ride out of Princeton in any direction and get good routes. North and West are the best, less traffic, more hills and more options. As for rides that are current, just do the run of the bike shops to find out who's going where.
Old 08-12-05, 02:22 AM
TehArrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont really know routes as i just started and im just following the group, but one of the rides does go from cranford to princeton. i got my bike from jay(westfield right?) and i go to the cranford bike shop for sunday rides. princeton is like 40 miles from jays though... there is nothing closer?
Old 08-12-05, 03:58 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Hey...I live n Ewing NJ...about 8 miles from Princeton...I am on my way to work and don't have time right now to leave details about rides in the area...PM me please. Maybe we can hookup for a ride sometime.

Brian

― Bruce Lee
Old 08-12-05, 04:42 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check with Kopps bikeshop in Princeton.....that was THE bike shop back when I lived in the area and raced...there are some great places to ride out by Griggstown...
Old 08-12-05, 05:27 AM
jqnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on , Climbo! Take the Great road north out of Princeton to 518. 518 west. All the roads north off of 518 will get you some nice long hills into the Sourland mountains. Hopewell, Lambertville and Ringoes are good destinations from Princeton. Fuel up at PJ's before your ride.