Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best ever rear derailleur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best ever rear derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 11:31 AM
BluePx10

Bikes: ‘09 Ibis Silk SL, ‘08 Cannondale Synapse, ‘97 Cannondale R300, '96 CKC, '91 Batt., '86 Simoncini Cromor, '85 Allez, '78 PX10, '76 Gran Jubile, '73 Arctic, '73 Interclub, '72 TdF, '71 PX10, '70 Mondia SS, ‘90 Basso Paris Roubai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have ridden extensively (in no particular order) Huret Allvit, Jubilee, Challenger; Simplex Prestige, SX410, SLJ; Shimano 600 EX; Campy Nouvo Record, Victory, Athena (1st gen); SunTour Vx, Cyclone, Cyclone II, VGT, Sprint 9000 and Superbe Pro (friction). For pure shifting performance, Superbe Pro is the best.

Allvit is the worst. Jubilee and NR are on par with each other but not up to the second tier--Victory, Athena, 600 EX, Simplex, Cyclones and Vx. The Sprint 9000 in friction is indistinguishable from SP but neither as light nor pretty.
Old 11-10-12, 11:44 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
First gen Vittoria Margherita. Nothing as smooth as moving that chain with your own hand. Real men (and women) don't need fingertips when they put them into the spokes.

Old 11-10-12, 12:08 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The Jubilee is a stunning piece of work albeit a somewhat fragile one... the matching front derailleur is also quite exquisite but like it's counterpart makes the Campy NR look like a rock crusher.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...4-filtered.jpg
Yep stunning...

Raleigh Competition by djk762, on Flickr

Vx with Power Shifters my fave.

Motobecane Grand Record 650B by djk762, on Flickr
Old 11-10-12, 12:23 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Question is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "Best" Derailleur. They're all inelegant solutions to an IGH.
Old 11-10-12, 12:33 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
This one is really interesting, just ‘cause it’s so pretty. I haven’t a clue how well it shifts... or doesn’t. Maybe someday I'll mount it to see.

I have the cheaper Eos long cage model of that Sachs Huret and it's an excellent derailer for friction or indexed. I had it on my PX10 for a while and the only derailer I liked better on on was a Suntour V GT Luxe, but not by much. The PX10 now has a 1st generation Rally. It shifts just okay, but I like the way it looks.
Old 11-10-12, 09:26 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I have the cheaper Eos long cage model of that Sachs Huret and it's an excellent derailer for friction or indexed. I had it on my PX10 for a while and the only derailer I liked better on on was a Suntour V GT Luxe, but not by much. The PX10 now has a 1st generation Rally. It shifts just okay, but I like the way it looks.

Thanks, G.B., that's good to know. I might get around to trying it yet. I do most thoroughly agree that the Rally is among the best looking of all the derailleurs, both 1st and 3rd generation. The aesthetic is somehow just right.

Cheers.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 11-10-12, 09:50 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a Suntour Superbe Pro guy, myself.
Old 11-10-12, 11:54 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i always find that the cassette/freewheel makes more of a difference as long as you're using a regular derailer. chainline too
Old 11-11-12, 01:22 AM
dyander

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never tried the Superbe Pro, but the first gen Cyclone gets my vote for combined performance and appearance.
I am also still running a Suntour VX GT and Deore XT for wide range work. The Campy NR of course has a place and works just fine. Nothing you haven't already heard though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_1125.jpg (97.6 KB, 361 views)
Old 11-11-12, 06:00 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BluePx10
Allvit is the worst....
You haven't tried Campy Valentino.

I've since upgraded to this:

Old 11-11-12, 06:21 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
^ Now that is funny! ^
Old 11-11-12, 08:59 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Coming strictly from an aesthetic tack, all of my choices predicated on performance fall by the wayside, and the Huret Svelto gets my vote.
IMO it's one of the greatest accomplishments of 20th century industrial minimalist art.

If you like the Svelto you must love the Luxe:

The long cage is the only RD I could not get to work. Not even with a 5 speed block.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-11-12, 09:45 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
IME, the SunTour Vx works very well indeed:

[IMG] The 1984 SunTour RD looks the part. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

And working on this for a friend earlier today, I was very impressed - snickety-snick:
[IMG] RD after oxalic acid and a bit of alloy shining... by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this works flawlessly when changing down, under load, going uphill - knocks spots off the 1st gen. Campagnolo Rally but loses to it on looks:
[IMG] IMG_7649 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

The only other derailleurs I have experience of are Campagnolo's Gran Sport and Nuovo Record - they both work fine.
Old 11-11-12, 09:48 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=auchencrow;14936409]You haven't tried Campy Valentino.

And somehow I don't think I ever will now...
Old 11-11-12, 12:16 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
Glad to see this thread still tickin’

This one is really interesting, just ‘cause it’s so pretty. I haven’t a clue how well it shifts... or doesn’t. Maybe someday I'll mount it to see.

Question to the group here.... I have a couple of Sachs New Success rear derailleurs, and the lesser Sachs 5000. They index perfectly with Campy Ergopower (8 and early 9-speed) shifters. Which means that they are not Shimano index compatible. Has anyone tried setting up an older Sachs Quartz unit as shown in the pic? I am curious about an alternative to the increasingly hard to find and expensive vintage New Success or Campy derailleurs.
Old 11-11-12, 12:20 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
You haven't tried Campy Valentino.

I've since upgraded to this:

My valentino deraileur was not that bad!
far better then Huret!
Old 11-11-12, 04:25 PM
robertkat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Funny that no one has mentioned the Nivex rear mech. I'd say Dura Ace comes in second.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bq103_nivex_derailleurX.jpg (81.1 KB, 352 views)
Old 11-11-12, 07:41 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
My valentino deraileur was not that bad!
far better then Huret!
Well is there much point in debating wether the low end Hurets from the 60's or the Valantino are worse. Just about any good working modern DR including the $5-10 stuff is better than most 60's DR's from a practical standpoint.
Old 11-11-12, 11:31 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robertkat
Funny that no one has mentioned the Nivex rear mech. I'd say Dura Ace comes in second.

Probably because no one has used a Nivex or much less seen one in person most likely.

For friction shifting I find the various Suntour derailleurs to function the best. I have some early Suntour Cyclone/Superbe derailleurs sitting in the parts bin just in case for a future build? I probably won't end up using them since more of my bikes end up with more modern drivetrains. Campagnolo NR/SR look cool, but I am not much of a fan of their shifting. Maybe that is why I don't have a vintage Campagnolo equipped bike anymore? The only full vintage bike I have is equipped with first gen Dura Ace. The other bikes have upgraded 9+ indexed drivetrains for the most part.
Old 11-12-12, 08:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Question is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "Best" Derailleur. They're all inelegant solutions to an IGH.
Ooh, them's fightin' words!

That Nivex looks like a weapon.

I have a Campagnolo Gran Turismo. It's beautiful and heavy and works terribly. I can shift OK but then it keeps drifting, as if someone is messing with the shifter constantly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-12, 09:41 AM
robertkat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redxj
Probably because no one has used a Nivex or much less seen one in person most likely.
Good point. I agree that for older friction mechs, it doesn't get much better than Superbe Pro, and I do love Dura Ace 7400. I'm curious though - for those out there that have experience using a Jubilee, what kind of gear range can it handle? I'm curious how well it would do with an 8 or 9 speed cassette and a small compact (46/34 for example).
Old 11-13-12, 10:58 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I still remember back in the 80's how pretty much all the LBS's discouraged me from buying a Huret Jubilee RD, even with my wallet already ready to pay for it, as they all explained that the derailleur was supposedly so flexible and wimpy that it would supposedly shift really badly on my bike and probably asplode on me on the road. That's how I eventually ended up with my first Campy NR RD. Built like a tank, shifted kinda slow but OK enough...but maybe I could have lived with any idiosyncrasies that the Jubilee might have thrown at me back then anyway as my bikes were French.....I kinda found the NR RD quite boring after some years of using it.
Now that Jubilees are kind of out of my price range, I just say to myself, I guess it was never meant to be.
I bet those LBS's were just lying to me about how bad they were, so they can keep those Jubilees for themselves.....

Chombi
Old 11-13-12, 01:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I had a full Jubilee set on my Raleigh back in the 70's. It worked well. I changed the rear for a Campy NR, and it worked a lot better under load. But the Jubilee wasn't bad by the standards of its day. It was neither fantastic nor awful.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-12, 04:25 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
i commuted on a bike with a long-cage Jubilee RD for a few months last year. buttery smooth shifting with Simplex retrofriction levers. No complaints and no issues, although when I later built up a new touring bike, I opted for a Shimano Deerhead M700 due to its history as being more reliable. The Jubilee is a very cool derailleur, IMO, but not the "best ever".
Old 11-14-12, 04:26 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Mid 90's Mavic 840, 841, & 845, in a short medium and long (atb) cage
I can only assume that you never used the long MTB one. I had that piece of crap (still have it, some pics on Velobase show mine), even used it (albeit very shortly) and for the price they asked, it was a joke.

Pro: stainless steel bolts, full demountable. End of pro.

Con: Weighs a ton and half. Cage is built from, no, stamped out of of a soft iron sheet metal they must have gotten cheap from a transformator company. No one even bothered to remove the ridge from stamping. Can be bent like putty.
Impossible to convince it to cooperate with exotic stuff like Shimanos 7-speed cassettes, unless you had an endless supply of various width shims, and patience to match.
FD with no shifting help whatsoever, just two straight sheet plates. One clamp size available (a very large one), adapt to smaller tubing by using plastic reducer rings. Soft ones.
The acoompanying shifters have as handles a massive square steel bar bent to a circle with the two ends standing out so it can be clamped to the drum-like indexing system by a massive 5mm bolt. All the better for it because you need a lot of power to shift and so you can grab it with all five fingers.
Put the things on a table next to a contemporary Suntour and a Dura Ace, then remember it did cost more than he other two combined, and cry.

If someone told me that thing was a bad russian copy of whatever, i would have no reason to doubt it. Is it an interestig piece of bike history? betcha. Is it a good derailleur? Gimme a break, it sucks, big time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.